vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuvi Experiences

Default The NUVI

Cache Maine, that's a great link.
    How I use mine fits well into my caching style. I use it, essentially, for driving directions to get near to the cache, having entered the cords. I then prefer to use the hand-held to pinpoint. Going paperless is not a concern for me, as I do not rely on the hints or description so I never felt the need to print out the caches. If I need to re-visit the cache posting, I use my Blackberry to access it on geocaching.com. But, I have to admit, after the 4th or 5th visit to a cache that I haven't been able to locate, I am ready for any kind of assistance. Enjoy your new NUVI!

wow--do I feel like a dummy! I, too, have had a Nuvi for some time now but have never used it for geocaching. For some reason, I thought I could only use the hand-held version. Duh. I have just purchased a Colorado so I should never, ever log a DNF again. Right?? lol I will have to read that link and start using the Nuvi right away.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Cache Maine, that's a great link.
    How I use mine fits well into my caching style. I use it, essentially, for driving directions to get near to the cache, having entered the cords. I then prefer to use the hand-held to pinpoint. Going paperless is not a concern for me, as I do not rely on the hints or description so I never felt the need to print out the caches. If I need to re-visit the cache posting, I use my Blackberry to access it on geocaching.com. But, I have to admit, after the 4th or 5th visit to a cache that I haven't been able to locate, I am ready for any kind of assistance. Enjoy your new NUVI!
    And wait until you are caching in an area of Maine where cell phone service = a BIG 0! Cache Maine and I have been there = done that doing the DeLorme Challenge. Paperless via whatever method is important until Maine cell service comes into the century.........after we have probably passed into the next.

Cache On - Cache Happy - go paperless with some device other than a phone if you are going to cache in Maine and especially upwards and eastwards of Bangor.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    And wait until you are caching in an area of Maine where cell phone service = a BIG 0! Cache Maine and I have been there = done that doing the DeLorme Challenge. Paperless via whatever method is important until Maine cell service comes into the century.........after we have probably passed into the next.
    Sheesh! At least with my Garmin 60csx, I NEVER lose a signal unless I'm in a tunnel somewhere. With my Sirius satellite radio, I lose signal parked under a gas station awning! LOL!

We don't get a good cell phone signal at all at my house, but 1/4 mile away on the other side of the hill,we get max signal! Go figure...

Bought one for my wife this Christmas. Finally got to play with it myself. Preloading caches is great and then while on the road it will list the closest cache in it's data bank, but you must enter command manually. Switching modes from auto to pedestrian is a must. EPE was still about 40 feet off... This is great for those unknown areas when I don't know which street to go in order to get the closest to the cache. Problem is if a wrong turn is taken, it could take you 5 miles around when all that is needed is a quick uturn...

Quote Originally Posted by Ripton View Post
    Problem is if a wrong turn is taken, it could take you 5 miles around when all that is needed is a quick uturn...
    We just bought a 255W for ourselves as well. Only used it one day playing around and thought the ability to re-calculate a route was great, but I make U-turns as often as possible, so it can be an issue.

On my unit, if I click on tools - settings - navigation - avoidances, U-turns is an option there which is checked by default. Just uncheck that and you'll be doing more u-turns than you want to! Hopefully yours has that option as well.

The other option is just to take the u-turn anyway.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

So do most of you prefer to use the Nuvi to get to the cache, or just use it to get the the vicinity and then go to the old hand held? I was just reading the tutuorial last night online after reading how many of you got a Nuvi for xmas! That made me think it surely had to do more than I thought. My husband has a birthday in two weeks..ha

I personally like using the handheld for cache finding (well, that is if it isn't a GRC). Have tried the Nuvi on the trail and don't really like it - I guess with some practice it would work.

Nuvi for downloading a route and roads, Lowrance for caches... but maybe I'm so much more comfortable with my Lowrance.

This is why meet and greets are so good. I was at one when I saw LEXMANO with his NUVI loaded up with caches. He told me how, sent me a link that night and I was in business, the next day. Everything they have said is true. I too love this! It saves soooo much time. I got my daughter PARKLARGEESE all set up with her NUVI by telling her to go to GSAK and look up "available macros" and download the macro for GARMIN NUVIs. She did and had no problems. They have macros for MAGELLINS as well. My other daughter BOBBIE THE BOLD loads her MAGELLIN using a macro.