vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rick's trek

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    While there's certainly a great deal of merit to KK's post, and while I would certainly respect any decision Rick might make as to whether he wants to finish his trek with a few crazed geocaching buddies traipsing along behind him, I will carry a twelve pack to the summit if given the opportunity. I think this will be my "ticket" to share in the fun. I will start taking "reservations" to purchase these beers on the summit right now. It will be a $20.00 per can minimum bid and as supply goes down, the price will go up....kind of like oil! Rick will get 2 free frosties if he can remember all the names of the folks who venture on up to the summit with him.
    And I will take bribes as to weather or not I ask to see your state liquor licence

Default I have one!

Daniel J. Dubord, Maine Bar Registration # 67. This is why it's called a "bar" association. I'm good to go. Just call me "Sherpa Dan!" Have license, will summit!

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    And I will take bribes as to weather or not I ask to see your state liquor licence
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Good luck, Rick. Don't forget to call if you need a hand anywhere in the Rangeley-Stratton area, rides to town, a hot shower... I think I gave you our telephone number earlier, if not, PM me. We pick up a lot of through hikers in August, give them rides to and from town if they're hitchhiking, hear their stories.

I've been to Chimney Pond and up the AT on Katahdin as far as the tree line (it was snow and ice above that the day we were there and we weren't supposed to go above that). But that was years ago so I don't think I'll try to summit. And you may not want a crowd with you anyway. If not, the party could be at Roaring Brook Campground, where through hikers come "back to earth". And you said something about making it in time for the Eustis event, and maybe giving a talk and showing slides.... We'd love to have you if you can make it.

Remember, if Grandma Gatewood could do it, so can you!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by oneday View Post
    I am sure that you have done loads of research and are well prepared...but if I may give a few words of advice...
    1) bounce boxes are your best friend...don't shop in small towns unless you have money to burn.
    2) try to do most of your zeros ON the trail
    3) don't be pressured by others to go fast...it's nice to say you did the tri-state challenge...but will you remember anything about those three states?
    4) if you see Pirate or Wee Willie say hi...but don't believe a thing they say!!

Ok...so obviously this is my opinion but I figure that most people who attempt a thru-hike do it because they love being outdoors. I saw too many people get out there and think that it's a competition or that they want to get it over with as soon as possible. My view on that is that if you wanted to walk 25 miles a day but not be outside...buy a treadmill...it's a lot cheaper. Needless to say most of those people ended up injured or simply quit.

Anyway, best of luck to you and I hope you make countless memories!
    Thanks for the advice Oneday.
    1. I have a bounce box. I am putting things that I will need that are not readily available in most towns and a couple other things.
    2. No sure if I agree with this one but I may take a zero on the trail.
    3. I refuse to be pressured by anyone to do big miles. This is my hike. They can hike there own hike. My plan is to keep it under 10 miles a day for the first two weeks. After that I will do what my body allows me to do.
    4, I am sure I will see Pirate as he works at Neels Gap. I know Pirate and Wee Willie pretty good and I know to believe half of what they tell you.

I thought about doing the tri state challenge but I will see how I feel when I get to that point.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    Good luck, Rick. Don't forget to call if you need a hand anywhere in the Rangeley-Stratton area, rides to town, a hot shower... I think I gave you our telephone number earlier, if not, PM me. We pick up a lot of through hikers in August, give them rides to and from town if they're hitchhiking, hear their stories.

I've been to Chimney Pond and up the AT on Katahdin as far as the tree line (it was snow and ice above that the day we were there and we weren't supposed to go above that). But that was years ago so I don't think I'll try to summit. And you may not want a crowd with you anyway. If not, the party could be at Roaring Brook Campground, where through hikers come "back to earth". And you said something about making it in time for the Eustis event, and maybe giving a talk and showing slides.... We'd love to have you if you can make it.

Remember, if Grandma Gatewood could do it, so can you!
    I can not find your number. Could you send it to me in a PM.
    Blazing Troll

Daniel J. Dubord, Maine Bar Registration # 67. This is why it's called a "bar" association. I'm good to go. Just call me "Sherpa Dan!" Have license, will summit!
    Does that mean there are 66 attorneys in Maine that are better than you?
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Default Good question!

If that's the case, then's there's over 11,000 that I outrank!. Actually, Bar numbers started about 10 years ago and they randomly gave them out as we sent in our registrations. Those of us that sent our forms in quickly got the first bunch of numbers. Then Chief Justice Vincent McKusick was given # 1. Joe Bornstein's number is 6000 something!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

If that's the case, then's there's over 11,000 that I outrank!. Actually, Bar numbers started about 10 years ago and they randomly gave them out as we sent in our registrations. Those of us that sent our forms in quickly got the first bunch of numbers. Then Chief Justice Vincent McKusick was given # 1. Joe Bornstein's number is 6000 something!
    So next time I get sued by Jow Bornstein I need you cause you would beat him?

Tomorrow will leave me with nine days left before I leave to catch the Amtrak for my adventure of a lifetime. I just wanted to let everyone know and rub it in just a little bit. Everything is falling into place. Gear, friends and hiking partners are all lined up and ready to go. The only concern I have at this time is from the phone conversation I had with someone on the trail in Georgia yesterday. There is one foot of snow on the trail and there are shoulder high snow drifts in the Smokies right now. On the up side the weather is suppose to get in the 50’s and 60’s next week in Georgia. I hope that clears the snow for me.

For those of you that want to follow my progress, I have decided on going with this web site www.trailjournals.com/attroll.
    Blazing Troll

Thanks for the link Attroll. We will be very interested in following your trail and wish you success every day in your journey. I hope the snow melts away fast before you get to Georgia.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."