vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for Danny?

I've noticed there's often a good breeze in the vicinity of Bruce, especially if the topic is right!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I was 23 days and in the last 625 CMP customers to get power back. That's the deal when you're the only year round resident at the end of a 2 mile long private road! Tested my sense of humor in a big way! Now I have a 20k stand-alone genset and can sell power back to CMP!
    And I thought 14 days was long . . . quite understandable as to why you would get a generator.

Personally, a power loss this time of year isn't that big a deal . . . much more of an issue when there is a heating issue.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    And I thought 14 days was long . . . quite understandable as to why you would get a generator.

Personally, a power loss this time of year isn't that big a deal . . . much more of an issue when there is a heating issue.

Like I said.....Rub two sticks together!

24 hour stores like Walmart are a wonderful resource Having lived in Florida until we moved up here, I can't begin tell you how many times we went to Walmart during hurricane aftermaths to cool off. They get sooo packed on hot nights when everyone has no electricity and needs a place with AC.

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    24 hour stores like Walmart are a wonderful resource ......
    Actually......because of the economy.....you're hard pressed to find a store open past midnight anymore.

If you're willing to take the chance in waiting ...you can get a new generator Much cheaper during a State of Emergency. I'm told they can't make a profit during those times.

I discovered that at a Yamaha dealer down Topsham way last year. They sold all theirs and were getting more from other dealers. It was such a deal that I now have two and will need to sell my tri-fuel when I get around to it.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    Like I said.....Rub two sticks together!
    . . . or you can always rub a few other things together for heat.

Actually, I'm all set these days with my Jotul woodstove . . . in fact I use very little heating oil now . . . but back during the ice storm it was a pretty big deal with the freezing temps. I lucked out however and was able to pick up a small (but adequately sized) generator which had apparently been purchased and returned so it was sold as used . . . even though the muffler still had a sticker on it and there wasn't a trace of gas in the gas tank. After hooking up the oil boiler to run off the generator I snaked a long extension cord to the TV and Play Station since I was a die-hard Lara Croft fanatic at the time and I had my priorities!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    24 hour stores like Walmart are a wonderful resource Having lived in Florida until we moved up here, I can't begin tell you how many times we went to Walmart during hurricane aftermaths to cool off. They get sooo packed on hot nights when everyone has no electricity and needs a place with AC.
    Sometimes I wonder what our founding fathers would think of us nowadays, needing to have luxuries like a/c and heat just to get through a single day...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! If I were 20 years younger, I would DEFINITELY invest in a home wind power unit. Since I live on a north-west facing hill, and almost always have a breeze (at a minimum), I believe we could easily achieve the claimed 10-year payback by selling excess power to CMP. (Actually, even sooner with the current Federal 30% tax credit for residential wind power systems from Obama's "stimulus package".)

If I win the Megabucks, I'll buy it anyway! LOL!

Talk to some folks that own one of these before you invest. I know of some folks that aren't seeing anywhere near the promised power generation despite having an excellent location for one.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I think the better investment for your buck now is going to be solar if you have a good southern exposure. Prices are coming down all the time now and a lot of states are even giving out great rebates as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I fixed a lot of roofs people chopped up with hatchets after the ice storm, can you imagine people up there chipping the ice of their solar cells???
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."