vb:literal>

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Geo-Rallye III

Default A challenge......

Hmmm....last time I played, I shot in the mid-70's.

Anything hotter than that was uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Played Friday with Di. Had three sevens! Still shot 83. You ready for me?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

and now back to the Rallye info...go here for more info http://sites.google.com/site/mainegeorallye3

See, even with golf - it's all about the numbers! Can't it just be enough to walk around and enjoy the scenery and search out only the best and most unique holes in the ground?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Smile Golf

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    See, even with golf - it's all about the numbers! Can't it just be enough to walk around and enjoy the scenery and search out only the best and most unique holes in the ground?
    No, golf is too cruel a game to not keep score. I think it might have been Lee Trevino who once said " Golf is a perfect way to ruin a good walk!"

Now back to the geo-rally. How are the caches scored? Is there a handicap factor for those of us with AARP membership cards?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

The way the rules say, it says it does no good to be early (before 4PM), but you are penalized for being late?

And I am not trying to be negative, but there seems to be a lack of information about the entire event. Many of the questions asked are asked every year.

The scoring, the time limits, examples of the caches, example scoresheet, etc..
    Last edited by brdad; 09-08-2009 at 06:50 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

EVERYTHING is about the numbers. We celebrate birthdays which is about he numbers, we have odometer and speedometers to keep track of those numbers, we even put numbers on our houses so people know where they live. Golf, on the otherhand, is about not beating up the person standing closest to you when you muff a shot. We all know it is always the other persons fault, especially those standing close to you, that cause you to muff your shot; cologne is to strong, to much chit-chat, etc. etc. Counting the numbers in golf is just a diversionary tactic to help take your mind off of beating up "the closest person" with your putter. It seems to work as there are not many assaults on the gold course.

Back to the Rallye. How many 1/1 hides would be necessary, or better yet have the same point value as a 2.5/2.5 or a 5/5. I guess ultimately what I'm asking, having never done a rallye, would it behoove our team to do all 1/1's or would there be more value in doing all the "higher" rated caches that will be placed?
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

The way the rules say, it says it does no good to be early (before 4PM), but you are penalized for being late?

And I am not trying to be negative, but there seems to be a lack of information about the entire event. Many of the questions asked are asked every year.

The scoring, the time limits, examples of the caches, example scoresheet, etc..
    The scoring will not be determined until all the hiders confer and rank the caches. Tentatively, the lowest ranking real cache will score equally with the highest virtuals. Scoring may be on a ten point scale, virtuals scoring 1 to 3 or 4, caches coring 3 or 4 to 10. We have a couple caches contemplated which may be more than 10 points due to their unique requirements and time to complete.

Caches will be ranked on their perceived difficulty and time to complete. For example, if you elect to do a cache that requires a hike, you will receive a higher point score than a park & grab.

You have 7 hours to complete the Rallye, getting back early is a good idea, but you get no reward for it. However, if you are late turning in your score card because you misjudged your caching time it would not be fair to accept your scores with no consideration of that fact.

We apologize for the lack of solid details, but the process is emerging. Be assured the primary goal is to have fun doing something you love. The committee will resolve all disputes in an equitable manner. Technical reliance on rules, while demonstrating unfair play will not get you far. If you are unduly competitive, this may not be for you.

If you want to have fun and push yourself, this should be your thing. The biggest prize of all, the DeLorme PN-40, will be given away in a drawing among the participants.

As to the hides, we should have puzzles, multis, traditionals and letter boxes. We will have many different terrains, including some water caches.
    We will have some tricky hides and some easy hides.

We also hope to structure this as two events, the Rallye Kickoff and the Rallye Wrap UP. You do not need to run the Rallye to attend either of these events.

Hope to see a good turn out, there is still plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    No, golf is too cruel a game to not keep score. I think it might have been Lee Trevino who once said " Golf is a perfect way to ruin a good walk!"

Now back to the geo-rally. How are the caches scored? Is there a handicap factor for those of us with AARP membership cards?
    Reminds me of another old joke,
    Why do they call it golf?
    Because all the other 4 letter words were taken.

The secret to shooting lower scores is..............................play less holes! I thought this thread was about the rally?! Quit derailing it Dan!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Smile Rally?

Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    The secret to shooting lower scores is..............................play less holes! I thought this thread was about the rally?! Quit derailing it Dan!
    "Rally" is when you're 3 down with 4 to play and you throw a "commanche press" at your opponent. (For you non-golfers, that means whatever you were playing for, say $5.00, the next 4 holes are a separate match for $20.00!) Not for the faint of heart and usually you're out 25 at the end of the day, plus buying the drinks!

Back to the rally. I figure with Di, Pat and Shotgun, we'll be about 7 over at the end of the day! Are there any real easy ones (like par 3's) where we can get an award for "closest to the cache?"
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.