vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Central Jersey!

Smile Greetings from Central Jersey!

Hey Mainers,
    I've been lurking here for a few weeks while planning out a road trip and found some great tips on sights to see, caches to hit and places to eat while touring the state. More of a coastal tour really. We'll be staying in Portland for a few days then venturing up the coast to Bar Harbor/Acadia.

I was impressed how cache-dense the route turned out to be but it makes it hard to single out any 'must-do' caches/locations. Any recommendations for the Portland area? I'm looking for the unpolished gems that aren't listed in the AAA guidebook.

If anyone ever needs any advice about traveling in New Jersey, just let me know or pop by our site. Thanks in advance!
    -Eric
    "Ericles"
    CentralJerseyGeocaching.net

I am a big fan of lighthouses, so I am going to recommend hitting Nubble Trouble (GC1YKB1) on your way to Portland. It takes you to one of my favorite lighthouses

I usually look for virtual caches. Virtual caches will always bring you to an interesting spot Don't forget to visit Cadillac Mountain in Acadia.

Default Welcome to the Maine site

Eric, You will have numerous answers to your question here I am sure. If you are coming through Rockland, check out the Breakwater Light, which is a one mile granite breakwater leading out to the lighthouse. The Marshall Point Lighthouse is another beautiful spot. There are so many on the coast of Maine! In Bar Harbor the top of Cadillac mountain is a must, the ovens are nice, Hunter Beach is nice, the shore walk area is great. I can get more information to you on these if you don't get a listing soon from someone else. If you travel through the Blue Hill area, the Blue Hill loo is a good stop. Keep checking in with us.

The Breakwater Lighthouse definitely a good idea! It's another one of our favorites And if you are in that area, also check out Owl's Head Lighthouse. I would say it's one of our favorites but that may make you realize that pretty much all of them are our favorites, haha.

If all of these lighthouses sound interesting to you, here is a list of lighthouses and the caches closest to them:
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...7&postcount=15

Although, at list leaves off waterski's cache near Rockland Breakwater... I need to add it but I forgot to update it :/ Maybe I will when I go home tonight.

Any trip up the coast can't be complete without a stop at What in the World Cache? (GC6D43) by Ghosthunter (2/1)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Portland has a lot of good trails too that are just a hop, skip and jump from "the city". There are some really good caches along some river banks if you are into those kinda sights. Feel free to message me regarding the Portland area and I would be happy to point you to some good ones.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Any trip up the coast can't be complete without a stop at What in the World Cache? (GC6D43) by Ghosthunter (2/1)
    And 2 others off the parking lot - Bears in the Bushes and Eartha's Cache - along with another across the street in the parking lot of the Visitor Center.........and more headed up the main route off the highway towards Freeport.

The other one in Yarmouth if it isn't gone yet is Herbie (GC17D9X) - this is a tree destined to be gone but one worth seeing.

The only thing that made those good caches was the people your with. You can see a giant globe anywhere.

Just be aware, theres a lot of one way roads around and sometimes the passengers get a little nervous if you don't know which way to go.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Thanks for all the great tips everyone!

Sorry it took so long to reply - I'm customizing my cache DB manually and tweaking my routes which seems to take forever.

@benandtina - Thanks for Nubble Trouble. It was just outside my "caches along a route" range and I would have missed it. That's an impressive list of lighthouse caches too!

@Cano & Waterski - I'll definitely be heading up Cadillac Mountain. The Ovens looks like a tough one but I'll keep an eye on the tides. Hunters beach & Thunder hole are on the list. There's a few earthcaches that look interesting but might be too involved. I'll cross those bridges when I come to them. While passing through Rockland I'll nab the cache & some photos then maybe I'll venture up Beech Hill as I hear the view is one of the best.

@brdad - I was planning on stopping by DeLorme to yell at them about my bork'd GPSr so What in the World & Eartha are on my list. It's a shame but I'll be just missing the Maine Geo-Rallye III event by a day.

@Hollora - I'll try to make it over to Herbie to say goodbye. Oh, and I dig your pathtag.

@Ekidokai - I'll let my wife do the driving and try to not get freaked out when she drives like she's from New Jersey.

Also on my list (in no particular order): Bug Light, Boothbay, Botanical Gardens?, Moose Point, Camden (yours is nicer than ours!), and in Porland Harbor - Peaks Island (and Cow Island if that FTF is still out there!). Here's hoping the weather cooperates!