vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info about trailside camping

Default Need info about trailside camping

Hi,
    A couple years ago we rode near the blueberry fields and to Grand Stream Lake and stayed at Airline Diner, but I remember there were a couple spots you could camp, like primative sites along the trail, one especially near some water. Does anyone know about these spots, how to get them, if you can reserve them, do they have a name? Thanks for any info..even other ideas or other spots? Thanks!!!

We took a wrong turn once and ended up at what looked like a fantastic place with several primitive campsites, sandy beach, just an overall great area. The Maine Gazetteer shows primitive campsites all around the area. Sorry, not sure how one goes about reserving one or if it's first come first serve.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.110...,0.109863&z=14
    Last edited by brdad; 08-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thanks,
    I checked my Gazetteer and that's very near where I had circled. It also says there are maintained forest campsites and primative ones. Does anyone know more details? We'll be driving 5+ hours and hate to go without knowing if they would be available. How's the riding this year up there? We so loved it when we were there. Best riding we ever did.
    FirefighterJake? You helped me a long time ago...??

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    Thanks,
    I checked my Gazetteer and that's very near where I had circled. It also says there are maintained forest campsites and primative ones. Does anyone know more details? We'll be driving 5+ hours and hate to go without knowing if they would be available. How's the riding this year up there? We so loved it when we were there. Best riding we ever did.
    FirefighterJake? You helped me a long time ago...??
    There's a campground right behind the airline diner now too. You can unload there, camp out, and leave for the trails right from your tent.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Is it new one or the same one? That's where we stayed a couple years ago, not much of a campground, but it did work. Thanks.

Not sure if this is trailside, but it sure is an awesome place to camp, GC15HTJ
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

The unimproved campsites, AFAIK, are first come, first served. I've even seen them with tents set up on them while the people were away at whatever....which is wrong in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    The unimproved campsites, AFAIK, are first come, first served. I've even seen them with tents set up on them while the people were away at whatever....which is wrong in my estimation.
    away meaning for a work week....so they can "reserve" the site for a weekend.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

So I guess my chances of getting one one these would be pretty slim for Labor Day weekend. Oh well. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    So I guess my chances of getting one one these would be pretty slim for Labor Day weekend. Oh well. Thanks everyone!
    Where do you want to cache - perhaps we could recommend a campground or other more readily available site. What are your plans/needs?