vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie

Default newbie

Hi I was going to try and start looking for some of the caches in the gardiner area and wanted to know if anyone knew if my garmin nuvi 750
    that i use in my car would make for a good device for geocaching? James

I use the Nuvi 200 and it will get you there by car easy enough, but it is a little lacking in the off road department.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I used my Nuvi for my first 75 or so finds and still use it as a backup. My 670 doesn't have a compass function so if yours is similarly lacking you might benefit from carrying a handheld compass. I found that the biggest drawback of caching with the Nuvi was the short battery life and the inability to change batteries while I was out caching.

Yeaaa found my first cache today up at the new west gardiner travel plaza

Congrats! You know what they say: you never forget your first!

Welcome to the hobby/sport/addiction! Go to an event and ask question here. The best way to learn the ropes.
    Happy Trails!

Yes I hope to try going to some events. My birthday is coming up soon and plan on asking for just cash I already want to get a hand held unit the nuvi is great in the car but when Ive been out and about I'm nervous that I may drop it plus getting a unit that's has some of the features more in-tune for geocaching than my car unit. There are some nice ones out there anyone have any suggestions on some of the hand held ones? some of the touch screen ones seem handy and easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaine View Post
    There are some nice ones out there anyone have any suggestions on some of the hand held ones? some of the touch screen ones seem handy and easy to use.
    I have Garmin's 60csx which is a few years old but an exceptional unit as far as accuracy and keeping signal lock and you can get them for a decent price now.

Default Looking for a GPSr

You should know that you can go paperless with the Nuvi.

That means you can put all the info from the cache page into the Nuvi right from the computer. No manual entry needed.

Something you want to think about when looking for a handheld unit is how many caches you can put in at one time. Believe it or not at some point you are gonna want to put all the caches from your area in one. That will be all of Maine for a lot of us and that is over 4,000 right now. I ca see that number going well over 5.000 this season.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Yes I'm aware of the paperless feature and am taking that into consideration while I look at the different models. lots to choose from for features just depends on what my wife will let me spend on a new gadget. I dont want to go too cheap and later on say I wish I had gotten one with that cool feature or something. I tend to do that.