vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st International Earthcache Event (A Mega event for Maine!)

Thumbs up 1st International Earthcache Event (A Mega event for Maine!)

Dear Maine Geocacher

My name is Gary Lewis and I am the Director of Education and Outreach for the Geological Society of America and the creator/developer of the EarthCache program that is part of geocaching.com. It is a wonderful program with now over 11,200 EarthCaches around the world. I am a resident of Maine - a wonderful place to work, live, play and cache!

I am delighted to announce to the local geocaching community first that Maine will host the very first International EarthCache Event on the 2 September 2012 (that is NEXT year) and we are confident that this will be a Mega Event (over 500 people).

Over the last few months I have been working with a group of local cachers to get this Event planned - including SoME Geocachers, Geocaching Maine Board Members, and the Maine Reviewer. This will be an exciting event with speakers, games and the opportunity to meet other geocachers from around the world. The focus will be on EarthCaches, but there will be something for everyone at this potential Mega event!

Organizing a Mega Event takes a long time and the volunteer help of many people. At this stage we are asking people to get on our email lists so we can send you more information when it becomes available. Go to the event website (www.earthcacheevent.org) and click on the link near the bottom to get on the list.

We will be putting a call out for Maine people to help us closer to the event. But for now, we want to get the event onto your calendars and hope you will be able to support us by attending!

One of our first tasks is to find sponsors for the Event. If you are in a local business that may be interested in being a sponsor or vendor at this event, please contact me at glewis at geosociety dot org".

Gary Lewis
    (geoaware)
    Event Director
    EarthCache Program
    Raymond ME
    Last edited by brdad; 04-10-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Wow, this a great. I always thought Maine would be a great spot for a Mega Event and to roll it into an EarthCache event is fantastic. I know a couple of the folks who are helping you and I am sure they will tap me as needed for a hand.

Greetings all. Remember me? LOL This is great news and I am thinking it may be a good reason to get back to Maine to visit.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Another cacher here who is excited to hear about the event. I ditto lexmano's comment about willingness to help.

Default Mega event??

If we get 500 people to attend and sign the log this might become a MEGA EVENT! How wonderful to think of Maine as having such an event.

How willing are you to travel, and how far would you go, to attend and get the MEGA icon?
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I know folks from away are talking about it already. Making plans already. Why not Maine? Of course we can get enough for a Mega!

I travel thousands of miles just to get an regular cache icon
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I travel thousands of miles just to get an regular cache icon
    Why, yes, you do. I have too and would love to have the resources to do it more.

Dream job = cruise ship medical department nurse! Required equipment = GPS! Required employee benefit = leave time while docked! Where do I sign up?

Have you seen crew cabins? You don't want to live there.
    Moo

My apology to geoaware for continuing this off topic. Back to the Mega ~ so much to see and do in Portland. I hope one excusion is for the ocean Earthcache......that would be very cool. I did post on the GC.com form threads about the train from Boston to Portland. At least one person picked up on that. Please don't hesitate to share more as it becomes available.