vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Las Vegas

And the most important thing about Red Rock Canyon is, it is where Captain Kirk was killed in the movie "Generations".

Smile Viva Las Vegas

It can get very hot there in the afternoon and there's an IMAX theater in New York, New York. If you've never been, take in any of the movies that are documentaries and not re-makes of popular current movies. My all time favorite is Everest. They actually dragged the 400 pound camera up the mountain to make the film.

The Pirates of the Caribean is outside and free as I recall. There's a show every hour.

A volcano goes off on the hour at the Mirage, very cool

And of course there's the fountains at the Bellagio, more impressive at night.

The Freemont Street experience doesn't run during the day. You can get there by bus. You can meet "real" Vegas people on a bus!

The Eiffel Tower, while not anywhere near as impressive as the real deal, is still a great place to see the City of Lights at night. It is closed a lot due to wind but I would still take a ride to the top.

Have a great time. I hurt my eyes there last time looking at all the gorgeous cocktail waitresses!
    Last edited by dubord207; 05-14-2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Added more info
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

One of the spots we were considering if we got up to the NW of AZ was the Grand canyon Skywalk. While a bit more commercial than we like as a rule, it probably would still be a neat thing to see. Looks like it's a couple hours from Vegas. There is also a bus that can take you from Dolan Springs, AZ, so you don't have to drive on the 15 mile dirt road to get there.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thanks for the suggestions folks . . . and darterkitfox, I'm surprised . . . didn't figure on you being a sci-fi Trekkie geek.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Walk the canals of the Venetian Hotel. I've never been to Venice but I can't imagine the real thing looking much different from the inside of this building. There is also another IMAX in the Palms which shows regular movies if you like those. We saw King Kong there when it came out and when he roared, the whole place shook. I thought the ceiling was going to cave in. And by the way, Star Wars is sci-fi, Star Trek is real life.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Walk the canals of the Venetian Hotel. I've never been to Venice but I can't imagine the real thing looking much different from the inside of this building. There is also another IMAX in the Palms which shows regular movies if you like those. We saw King Kong there when it came out and when he roared, the whole place shook. I thought the ceiling was going to cave in. And by the way, Star Wars is sci-fi, Star Trek is real life.
    HehHeh . . . just tell me you don't have rubber Vulan ear tips!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

We cached Red Rock Canyon a couple of years ago - left brdad's & msteelee's sig items together in the engagement cache GCJ1E9. It was very hot there in Sept but we brought lots of water and really loved the area. it's only a 20 min drive from the strip.

Lots of virts on the strip. It's an awesome place for people watching. The hotels are fun to wander through and there are a lot of free attractions along the way. You'll have a great time.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I went caching in Vegas last year, we hit the Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon. My favorite along the strip was A Special Memory. Also congrat on the 1000 finds. Your caches are still some of my favorites.
    Gump & Gumpette

I'm back . . . did anyone miss me . . . or more important did anyone even notice I wasn't here last week?

I can tell you that I learned several things of my trip to Las Vegas. First off, it's hot out there . . . really hot . . . I mean one day they were talking about a cold front that had moved in and this meant the high temps were going to be in the high 80s or low 90s . . . and I actually saw people wearing light-weight coats that day.

Second, it's just a matter of opinion, but I can't say as though I really cared for Las Vegas . . . traveling outside of Vegas to see the real Nevada however wasn't bad. I'm just not a big fan of "plastic" -- fake Eiffel Towers, Egyptian pyramids and New York skyscrapers (as well as the plastic people dressing to impress and with silicone-enhanced. . . . well you get the idea.)

======

My trip out was pretty much uneventful. I drove down to Portland and stayed the night at a Howard Johnson's since I had an early flight out. This allowed me time to grab a couple of caches before turning in early. Incidentally, I would have flown out of Bangor, but it was something like $300 more for a ticket.

On the first flight someone was on board that smelled really, really bad. I honestly think someone was passing gas. On the second leg of the flight I was seated next to a woman who was watching a scary movie or something on her laptop . . . every once in a while I would be minding my own business reading a book when the woman would get startled by something in the movie, she would jump and throw up her hands . . . the second time this happened I suggested that she might want to try watching a comedy or something a little less scary.

After getting situated in my hotel room I went out and quickly discovered that nearly all of the caches along the Strip were either virtual caches or micros . . . typically LPC micros.

The next day I attended a great all-day seminar on fire extinguishers . . . OK, I know to some of you that might sound boring, but I found it to be quite interesting.

The next day was a free day so I opted to take some of your advice and went to Valley of Fire . . . definitely worth doing. Saw some great caches -- mostly in terms of the location . . . not a lot of great hides though since the dessert doesn't really offer much in the way of hiding things other than some rocks or the occasional dead yucca. Since I was sightseeing along the way I saw some petrified logs (they were more scared of me than I was of them though ), petroglyphs, cacti, lots of little lizards and all kinds of sandstone. I particularly liked Jeffrey's Valley of Fire Earthcache, 2 Arches/2 Views, Petrified Cache and Mouse's Tank.

The one thing I was glad that I did on this first day was to buy plenty of water at the nearby Native American general store/gas station/liquor store/fireworks store (this place was pretty much custom made for Hiram ) since I soon realized that the dry heat meant I would sweat a lot, but it would soon wick away in the heat and wind and so you would often not realize just how much you were sweating and losing water.

The one thing I wish I had done was to test my hiking boots before heading out since I think they have reached the point where I need to get new ones as I ended the day with lots of blisters on my feet.

I did have one "incident" on this day however when I misjudged the distance and instead of taking the easy route down a steep gravel hill by following a gravel road down I went the direct route . . . and then had to go up another hill and then back down a hill . . . and in the process I ended up losing my footing and fell, scraping my leg and arm with some nasty looking scratches.

By day's end I had grabbed several more caches on my return trip back . . . memorable caches included Visiting Granddad in a grass-less cemetery and Old Spanish Trail which was a mailbox alongside a well-traveled highway . . . only to get to it you had to drive down a 2 or 3 mile long gravel road (something I didn't tell the folks at the rental agency when I returned the Mazda 6 I was renting for the day .)

The next few days were spent visiting the Convention's Exposition vendors and learning about new products -- as well as seeing my face on the Showroom floor as the folks with the National Christmas Tree Association were there and playing a video that I did with them a few years back. I also spent quite a bit of time attending various classes since that's why I was in Vegas.

I ventured out a few times in the evenings to grab a cache or two and to see the Las Vegas sights, but as I said earlier . . . watching dancing water fountains, lightshows, etc. just isn't my thing . . . I'm a simple country boy from Maine . . . although listening to the bus driver get into an argument with a belligerent drunk and threaten to call the police until the drunk got off the bus was kind of entertaining.

On Day 5 I met a very special girl named Candy who seemed to be really interested in me . . . and yes I am just kidding!

Actually on my final day I had some more free time so I figured I would strike out for Red Rock Canyon . . . after driving 12 miles or so and thinking my Magellan was acting up I realized that my Magellan was working fine and that it was me that was in fact not working correctly since for some reason I had it set in my mind that I had to go south on Rt. 15 to get to Red Rock when in fact I needed to get on a completely different road. After getting turned around I headed to Red Rock Canyon which also proved to be a great place for caching and sightseeing . . . definitely more tourists here, but there was plenty to see and do.

I never did see the wild burros, but I did get to see some cacti in bloom which were pretty neat to see and there was a jackrabbit that scampered away from me near one cache.

======

My flight home was not fun. At some point I had caught a cold . . . and in fact I'm still feeling a bit under the weather as I write this missive. Flying home when sick is not remotely fun . . . I was never so glad to be back in Maine and on the ground . . . well actually I was much happier to be home where I slept for something like 12 hours straight. In any case, it's good to be home . . . now someone out there must have missed me.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post

...Since I was sightseeing along the way I saw some petrified logs (they were more scared of me than I was of them though )
    That's why I am glad you're back. Good jokes!
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~