vb:literal>

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin

That's cool Too!!!They could fit all the suggestions on that also!!!
    I'll get the coin no matter how it comes out. I've got the 2007.
    I'll get in the drawing/creation mx for the 2009 coin.
    I think in the final outcome the coin maker will figure it out and let the board or whoever is ordering, know what they can do with the artwork. I really like ALL the ideas. Keep up the good work ,everyone and get us a coin made!!!!LOL!!
    Opalsns

Does anyone realize we have been talking about this since LAST OCTOBER!? We should be planning the 2009 coin now!

I have made a few sketches from what others have suggested and posted them but maybe they were not what people wanted. I don't know what else to do.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    Does anyone realize we have been talking about this since LAST OCTOBER!? We should be planning the 2009 coin now!
    I was not around for the first coin - but was for the one which recently came out. This web site has loads of members, lots of ideas and opinions. It toolk a long time here - and the companies don't do them at the drop of a hat.

Attroll is only the facilitator to keep this web site rolling. The Board and Sudonium (who has been entrusted to handle the business end of the coin) facilitate the coin along. Despite all the discussion - I do not see that there is agreement on a design but that's just my take on it.

Yes, this coin has been discussed for over 6 months - and if there is going to be one coming out from GCM.org for 2008 it should be moving along. There is a lot to making a coin - the least of which is finances.

The question to me is - has a consensus been reached on what to send off to a company to receive final art work for a coin and to get a quote? That is the first step ~ which as we can see ~ can be lengthy!

Moving along is a great thing, but many people missed out on helping with the coin last time. That was one of the reasons for creating a newsletter - to get the word out to those that do not visit the site so often as others.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Moving along is a great thing, but many people missed out on helping with the coin last time. That was one of the reasons for creating a newsletter - to get the word out to those that do not visit the site so often as others.
    Agreed. I know how long a coin takes and all the companies are getting deluged right now with the price increases on metals. Everyone is trying to beat the curve. Some are busier than others and some better able to cope with the increase in volume.

Ok,
    I agree with all ya'all.
    But ,and it's a BIG but, there are ideas out there now. I don't see that anyone has said, "OK, Here are the 2 or 3 ideas for a coin that the board or whoever has agreed on, NOW VOTE!!!!" I don't mean on the Photo Gallery Page, I mean on an actual thread. Another thing is cost. The people who want the coin will be paying for it ,Correct ? Or does someone end up stuck with too many coins?
    It'll probabally cost more for a shaped coin than a round one, right?
    Maybe it would be an idea to make a, 2008 - 2009 Caching Season Coin.

There are cachers that have had hundreds if not thousands of coins made and one has recently helped me out with a coin, "Situation". I don't know if they are board members or not, but, if they wanted to, they could be like a coin adviser or something.
    I'm not wanting any HEATED discussion about this . I am a curious Maine Coin buying, Cacher and I'd like to know.
    I like the Lobster Snowshoe coin and the Maine State shaped coin and would purchase either one!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    The Board and Sudonium (who has been entrusted to handle the business end of the coin) facilitate the coin along.
    In my opinion, the duty of the Advisory Board is to protect the interests of the web site and not run projects. The members run projects. This helps the board provide fair oversight and allow the membership as much freedom as possible.

Sudonim volunteered to manage the first coin project before the advisory board was created. He did such a great job with the first coin, it was easy to accept his offer the second time.

I like the ideas put out so far on the snowshoes and/or lobster on the other side. I'm ready to start putting in artwork to the manufacturer at any time, but like the '07 coin, the sticking point is getting a consensus on the preliminary designs. I'm good with numbers, but nobody has ever accused me of being an artist.

Maybe we can post some design suggestions in the newsletter, or start an artwork themed thread and post a link to it on the newsletter? If people agree that we want a 2008 coin, I'd like to get the ordering process going before the end of summer as my busy season starts up around November and I'd like to have the coins mailed out before then.

How about a design contest? Everyone that wanted to could come up with a final completed design, front and back and and post the image on a thread just for the contest. Give a deadline for entries. Then let Sudonum, Since he's willing to run with this, pick the final 2 designs. Those 2 designs will be posted and given a deadline for voting.
    The magic word is DEADLINE !!!! Everyone knows there is a coin coming out and everyone can tell someone etc...
    There has to be a time limit or it will run into next year! Unless a 2008 - 2009 Caching season coin was to be made.
    I want to say again,... I like all designs I've seen and would buy any of them if it was minted!!
    Thanx for listening,
    Opalsns