vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revisting Some things you can't unsee

Default Revisting Some things you can't unsee

Some of you will remember my recent post about a bad experience while looking for a cache in Portland. I wrote a respectful note on the cache log and it stayed there until today when the CO deleted it. I felt the need to post the note there to protect families from going to that area. I cache with my two young sons most of the time and I would not want them to go there. I have followed up with an email to the CO today but I doubt they share the same opinion as me. I would not want a negative post on my cache log or one that may cause folks not to look for my cache but I have never deleted a log. If I disagreed I would follow-up with a note to the person or perhaps a note on the cache log if I found the area to be safe. I guess the bottom line for me is if someone told me this happened at one of my cache sites I would archive the cache.

This is probably easier for me to say now since my son is an adult (well, legal-aged), but if you posted that to my cache page I probably would not immediately archive the cache. But I would not delete your log, either.

I'd probably more likely see if I could verify this is an ongoing thing at the site, and pay even closer attention to future logs and perhaps even ask some previous hiders. But it should definitely warn of the possibility on the cache page IMO.

I've heard of odd things occurring near my Old470 cache and have seen evidence of such. Fortunately, it goes away for a while until someone else shows up. I just have to keep a closer eye on it than my other caches.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I can't imagine Jason logging anything that a CO could find offensive and a warning like that should be taken to heart by a responsible CO. I didn't like it when I received word of pot being hidden in one of my caches but decided to archive it rather than have folks think I would condone that type of thing at one of my caches. I'd do what Brad did yesterday and just re-log "found." Nothing else is warranted when a CO acts like that. Which cache was it by the way so we don't do it with our grandchildren? You can PM me if you prefer not to say.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

It was along the Clarks Pond Trail by the Home Depot in Portland. The particular cache I logged this on was GC1WCF3 .

There is an attribute not kids friendly, proper use should solve the problem. I have this attribute on one of my caches
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    There is an attribute not kids friendly, proper use should solve the problem. I have this attribute on one of my caches
    That is a great point, except that most people think of physical dangers (cliffs and the like) when they see that it's not kid friendly. I think it's still be good to explain why it was not kid friendly for that reason.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    Some of you will remember my recent post about a bad experience while looking for a cache in Portland. I wrote a respectful note on the cache log and it stayed there until today when the CO deleted it. I felt the need to post the note there to protect families from going to that area. I cache with my two young sons most of the time and I would not want them to go there. I have followed up with an email to the CO today but I doubt they share the same opinion as me. I would not want a negative post on my cache log or one that may cause folks not to look for my cache but I have never deleted a log. If I disagreed I would follow-up with a note to the person or perhaps a note on the cache log if I found the area to be safe. I guess the bottom line for me is if someone told me this happened at one of my cache sites I would archive the cache.
    I have not done this cache yet but I have walked the trail. I have not seen any of this activity on this trail but I do understand your concern. How ever this could happen on any cache location that is not out in the open so maybe you should stick to parking lot LPC and GRC caches or you run the risk of seeing that again.

I totally disagree. It is the urban setting of this one that leads to the trail that is the issue. I have never had a problem on the caches in central Maine. I have done hundreds of caches on trails and this is the only one I had an issue with. The reason I feel it was probably not isolated was the types of people hanging around the area. LPC and GRC are my least favorite types of caches. I would not have stuck with the hobby if it were not for caches on nice trails.

I've had two "encounters" of this type, both in Vaughn Woods in Hallowell. There's a school that abuts the southern trail head. These were high school kids. I mentioned this casually in my logs and they were not deleted. I think a log of this nature advises future cachers that they have a choice as to whether they want to do a cache where this could happen again. With as many caches as there are in the Portland area, some might opt to pass that cache. Jason didn't suggest that the cache needed to be archived, just what he specifically witnessed which shouldn't have resulted in a log deletion, IMHO.

Stick to GRC's? Really? NOT!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Dan is correct. I mentioned what happened and suggested that you may want to avoid this if you have children with you. The cache description actually says there are toys for the kids in the cache which would encourage you to bring your children to this area.