vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GeocachingMaine.og Website/Donating Members

If I'm reading this correctly no one is concerned, disennting opinions are not welcome and I should just gather my things and go (Dubord, Haffy, Sabby).
    Way to listen to both sides, have an open mind and be courteous.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly no one is concerned, disennting opinions are not welcome and I should just gather my things and go (Dubord, Haffy, Sabby).
    I disagree. People may disagree with you, but the fact that there are many comments in this thread means that this is a good discussion, and many opinions have been offered. Your opinion is very welcome, but please don't take personal offense if opposing comments are blunt.

IMHO, anyone who would try to claim a donation made here on their taxes are the ones who need help. This isn't a charitable donation. It's a donation to help run a website connected to a *hobby*. I honestly find it hard to believe that the IRS would go very far beyond asking what the donation supported before they'd disallow the claim.

The only real issue I can see is that the IRS might ask Rick to account for the donations as income for himself but then he can show a greater loss than gain so wouldn't that be a wash as far as the IRS is concerned?

I am not concerned personally because I'm not the one financially at risk. I am not overly concerned where my donation goes because it is a small amount and I've wasted more than that on a lot less. I am concerned in in the fact I'd like to see the site survive and prosper. That is why I am listening to both sides and even offered one possibility whether it was totally stupid or brilliant. For any of us to say it is or has to be one way is not good for the conversation.

Ultimately this is Rick's decision because he bears the burden. Whether this thread serves any purpose for one side or the other depends on whether he desires to keep things the way they are for now or if he would like to consider it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I don't think suggesting that people DON"T donate to this site is consistent with having an open mind and being courteous. That was you opening salvo that solicited from me a clear and pointed response, ie a dissenting opinion to what you were suggesting members here ought to do. You needn't gather your things and go, just be prepared to defend yourself if you take what I considered a cheap shot to this site. Just because you seem to be in the minority here doesn't mean you're not entitled to your opinion. Trust me, log here enough and you will eventually find yourself on the receiving end of criticism from time to time. I've seen my share and have learned from it. Don't take it personal.

Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Well, wait a minute......

I have to disagree as well. You're correct....there isn't a lot of concern. In my case, I want to hear and from time to time debate, dissenting opinions. And even though I may disagree with a member's opinion, I sincerely am interested at least hearing it and the defense of it.
    You may gather your things but keep an open mind......I think you already do.....and hang around a bit. You've been caching a fair bit and I've enjoyed your hides. It'd be a shame not to contribute.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I don't think suggesting that people DON"T donate to this site is consistent with having an open mind and being courteous.
    Neither is saying to someone with other opinion to pack his stuff and F off. Just saying.
    Moo

Nobody said anything like that, Cano. Not even close. It seems we3 found some of the responses to be lacking in courtesy. Truth is, the responses were fair responses to his initial post. Nobody even came close to suggesting he pack his stuff..... I hope he continues the discussion and like the rest of us, he's entitled to his opinion and of course the responses he will receive whether in support or in opposition. Isn't that the nature of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Neither is saying to someone with other opinion to pack his stuff and F off. Just saying.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    If you don't like the site then don't bother to visit it.
    This looks like don't dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    If the meager funds that run this are an issue to a cacher, then please don't waste your time here. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    This looks like twice I was told not to visit.