vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: API question

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    How would GSAK look like if it was closed and nobody was allowed to make their own macros? Now compare it to gc.com now when it's closed and if gc.com was open.
    Gc.com lets you place your own caches for free, lets you create your own caching software for free, lets you download (most) cache listings for free, lets you log your finds for free ... all as long as you stay within their TOU. GSAK and it's macros are limited to their TOU as well. There are some things you are not allowed to do with their product.

Sure, it sounds great if companies could give their products and services for free. I wish I could go to Ford and pick up my new free SUV, stop buy Best Buy on the way home and pick up my new free 200" TV, stop and get a few caches with my free Trimble GPS, all while phoning a friend on my Free 50G Android holographic tablet with free unlimited service. And while I was gone, the free maid service would be cleaning my free house. And since everything is free, I can cache all day because I don't have to pay for anything!
    Last edited by brdad; 04-05-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Gc.com lets you place your own caches for free, lets you create your own caching software for free, lets you download (most) cache listings for free, lets you log your finds for free ... all as long as you stay within their TOU. GSAK and it's macros are limited to their TOU as well. There are some things you are not allowed to do with their product.

Sure, it sounds great if companies could give their products and services for free. I wish I could go to Ford and pick up my new free SUV, stop buy Best Buy on the way home and pick up my new free 200" TV, stop and get a few caches with my free Trimble GPS, all while phoning a friend on my Free 50G Android holographic tablet with free unlimited service. And while I was gone, the free maid service would be cleaning my free house. And since everything is free, I can cache all day because I don't have to pay for anything!
    Is here on this forum at least one person, I ask only for one person, who actually got what I meant?
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    There are many successful people who turned a hobby into a business. It's the way life is. You have to make money to live. If you can turn a passion into a paycheck what's wrong with that. While everyone doesn't like how GC.com operates, there are plenty who do like it just the way it is. I being one of them. I have met and talked to Jeremy on several occasions, and he is a nice approachable guy. If he makes money doing what he likes so be it. I guess if that upsets some people you still have the option to go get caches from one of the other sources. Groundspeak was the first and is still the biggest listing service for geocaches. Maybe that will change and maybe it won't
    Or start their own site.....

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Is here on this forum at least one person, I ask only for one person, who actually got what I meant?
    I follow what you said, cano. We can all use our imaginations and think of how we'd be able to do things differently if gc.com was open. Since it isn't, we have to either make do with what is there or use other sites.

Browsing around while at work, I see that more caches are popping up on the opencaching's site and a few questions popped into my head about logs and whatnot.

What are those of you that are posting caches on their site doing about paper logs?
    Do you're caches contain one log book for each website?
    Are you going to go through and verify cache finds from that site?
    Are you going to allow people who have already found the cache using GC.com to go through and post their finds there without revisiting?
    If someone has already been to the cache because its listed on GC.com, does the site allow for you to post the date you were actually there if technically, your visit to the cache happened before it was placed on opencaching.com's site?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Browsing around while at work, I see that more caches are popping up on the opencaching's site and a few questions popped into my head about logs and whatnot.

What are those of you that are posting caches on their site doing about paper logs?
    Do you're caches contain one log book for each website?
    Are you going to go through and verify cache finds from that site?
    Are you going to allow people who have already found the cache using GC.com to go through and post their finds there without revisiting?
    If someone has already been to the cache because its listed on GC.com, does the site allow for you to post the date you were actually there if technically, your visit to the cache happened before it was placed on opencaching.com's site?
    Caches are independent from sites, no need to have separate log sheets, with open API there will be soon hundreds of different synchronized caching sites, everybody will have their own they love.
    I will allow to log my cache on another sites without revisiting, because you found it. OpenCaching actually allows you to upload your finds PQ, so it's easy to log them all.
    Moo

Trackables may be a small part of the game but I would guess to be a large source of income for Groundspeak as anyone can buy TB's without being premium. I think that aspect of the game may suffer a bit down the road. Someone that creates a site and generates tags/coins similar to pathtags.com which allows for trading and tracking with no tie to actual cache websites could have quite the business.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry