vb:literal>

Thread: Bangor YMCA

Default Bangor YMCA

It appears that someone is beginning a Geocaching program through the Bangor YMCA as one of their Enrichment Programs. Anyone on this site affiliated with it or is it something they are just starting up on their own?

http://www.bangory.org/content/4016/...ment_Programs/
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I am sure a quick call to the Y will answer who the instructor/facilitator will be for the program. Some places will allow folks to teach if they are just involved in doing something. They don't realize there may be more to it than just "doing it". I believe in having folks show a resume and having a written curriculum.

One fear I have, a comprehensive curriculum should include a section about trackables. Guess time will tell.

The Audobon Group out at Field's Pond has run programs like this and used Geocaching in their summer camp curriculum for a couple of years. The fellow who did it had cached, but I wouldn't say had a well rounded "caching resume". He has since left the area. I don't know as they are doing anything with caching now.

Programs such as this are becoming more popular. Camps, organizations, schools and others are always looking for something "new".

Greenland Point Outdoor Center is having a portion of one camp dedecated to Geocaching this summer. They had one last summer - it was very popular. The facilitator will be a well qualified cacher from the Greater Bangor area (not sure they are on here much).

I joined forces with a Maine Guide (he teaches a class on GPSr usage, compass and mapping - but does not consider himself experienced to talk about caching), at the Penobscot Fly Fishers Cabin Fever Reliever Event Weekend, to speak about Geocaching for a half hour. And in 2009 & 2010, Geocaching was an activity at the Penobscot Conservation Association Free Family Fun Day in June. This year that event conflicts with the Relay for Life - but anyone who may not be able or want to do relay - EMAIL me!

Also - the Boy Scouts now have a Merit Badge in Caching. I helped, with the assistance of another local cacher, a local Troop get the instruction they needed to work on completing their requirements. Completing the requirements to help with Merit Badges was personally an experience unto itself.

Great post masterson and one of many reasons to have a GCM "Speakers Bureau".

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Also - the Boy Scouts now have a Merit Badge in Caching. I helped, with the assistance of another local cacher, a local Troop get the instruction they needed to work on completing their requirements. Completing the requirements to help with Merit Badges was personally an experience unto itself.
    I am an Eagle Scout, and years ago I was very active in Scouting. I spent 2 summers as a counselor at a scout camp, was an Assistant Scoutmaster, and was a merit badge "approver?" for several merit badges. Most kids soon decided that they didn't want to be sent to me for their merit badge evaluation - they thought I was "too hard". LOL! Sheesh! I only expected that they knew what they were doing! LOL!

But I support youth activities in any way, and am glad that the "Y" is doing this. At least it gets kids outside!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I am an Eagle Scout, and years ago I was very active in Scouting. I spent 2 summers as a counselor at a scout camp, was an Assistant Scoutmaster, and was a merit badge "approver?" for several merit badges. Most kids soon decided that they didn't want to be sent to me for their merit badge evaluation - they thought I was "too hard". LOL! Sheesh! I only expected that they knew what they were doing! LOL!

But I support youth activities in any way, and am glad that the "Y" is doing this. At least it gets kids outside!
    Yes you are very right - off the couch and teaching them to use their techie stuff Outdoors!