vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Help Needed !!!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I agree you should contact someone if you want it removed. The raccoon thing about rabies is a old wise tail though. Granted they can carry rabies but no more then a skunk or rabbit or any other wild animal.
    Just because they are found in other animals as well does not mean it should still not be a concern. The percentage of animals found with rabies has increased with time. The possibility still exists.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

One thing to remember, RABIES can't make BABIES !!!! (Animal Planet)

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Just because they are found in other animals as well does not mean it should still not be a concern. The percentage of animals found with rabies has increased with time. The possibility still exists.
    That was my point Dave. It is not just Racoons that carry it.
    Blazing Troll

UPDATE!!!!!
    At the suggestion of The Hirundo Wildlife Refuge Center... The Raccon stays untill the kits eyes are open... a couple of weeks ...Then we will make her living quarters... Uncomfortable for her and she SHOULD move, kits and cobutal. It's easy to make alot more noise in the yard now that we are outside daily. We will hang a radio in the shed with a talk show station and leave it play. She'll hate it and leave. Hopefully. If this doesn't work. they will Come get them out...
    Stay Tuned Folks,
    Opalsns

I catch 5-6 raccoons a year in my catch-'em-alive trap. I usually drop them 4-5 miles from home with the hope that their range is less than that.

One year however, I just took one across the river and let it go. Sure enough, it ran right down the bank, into the river, and started swimming back.

Sheesh!

(Three or four years ago, I also caught a possum. I showed it around to a lot of old timers before I let it go - they'd never seen a possum in Maine! LOL!)

I see all kinds of em down here,unfortunately or fortunately however you look at it they are mostly roadkills. I did encounter one a couple of months ago in our backyard and tried to befriend it but when he showed his teeth that was my introduction to the mean little beasties.... and I'll stay clear of em from now on...
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I have a major issue with squirrels in my attic....yeah lots of fun in the winter time to hear them run back and forth ....

anyways when I talked to the people about getting rid of them they said i'd have to take them over 20 miles away otherwise they'd come back??? seriously???? I don't even know if I could find my way back if someone dropped me 20 miles from home HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by bmeserve View Post
    I have a major issue with squirrels in my attic....yeah lots of fun in the winter time to hear them run back and forth ....

anyways when I talked to the people about getting rid of them they said i'd have to take them over 20 miles away otherwise they'd come back??? seriously???? I don't even know if I could find my way back if someone dropped me 20 miles from home HAHA
    Squirrels in the attic . . . is that like bats in the belfry?

I had an issue with gray squirrels getting into my attic a few winters ago -- turned out they were getting in through a broken vent in my attic. Fixed that by stapling some heavy gauge wire on the vent entrance and that fixed the problem -- now all I need is some way to persuade the little buggers from getting into my birdfeeder (I've covered the post with sheet metal . . . which worked well until the little buggers began leaping on to the birdfeeder from the nearby porch . . . moved the birdfeeder further away with the help of Hiram last Fall . . . now the squirrels simply go to my roof and leap on to the birdfeeder like some kind of crazed sky diver -- my wife's suggestion to attach a large spike to the top and impale them like shiskabobs just doesn't sound very appealing to me . . . and adding red pepper to the birdseed on one person's advice simply gave the squirrels a little added seasoning to their daily buffet meal.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

ROFLMAO

Yeah they are getting through a hole in my eves but I'm afraid that if I patch it up there will still be some on the inside and well in a few weeks you'll know what will come next and the attic isn't really an attic it's just a space between the ceiling and the roof which is about as big for only a squirrel Funny thing is they don't touch my birdfeeders.....go figure.

Hey Jake, I hear that if you leash a monkey to the bird feeder, it will keep away the squirrels