vb:literal>

Thread: Geocoin Challenge Passports?

Question Geocoin Challenge Passports?

Hello,

We have had the pleasure of visiting some great places to geocache. In some places you can print a passport, find the caches, and then redeem the passport for a geocoin or some other award. Some examples are Fredericton, Moncton, and Riverview New Brunswick, the Provincial Parks in Nova Scotia, and Fundy, Cape Breton, Banff, and Kejimkujik National Parks in Canada.

Are there any such cache series in Maine? We will be coming next weekend for the Mega Earthcache event and staying and caching for a week. We'd love to do something like this. Also, if there are any "Must do" caches I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!!

I don't believe there are any such series in Maine.

There are lots of nice caches, the favorite points are probably the best tool to determine which ones are best for you based on where you'll be and what caches you like and/or are capable of.

Here's a map of the 100 most favorited Maine caches... http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/...itedMaine.html
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Sheesh! One of our caches is on the list! LOL!

We've talked about "favorites" before, and I'd like to nominate more caches as "favorites", but of the caches we logged on our recent trip, I can't think of one I'd list as a favorite... Maybe I should go back and nominate most of "Laughing Terry's" caches! LOL!

Your Got Moxie cache is at or near #93 (Obviously the numbers change constantly), which is not bad considering it's out of 11,000+ caches and more often visited caches will gain favorite points more quickly. In reality, 11% of finders of the Got Moxie? cache have favorited it, While the top 3 favorited Maine caches have 6%, 18%, and 11% of finders adding the cache as a favorite. So you're doing well!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Your Got Moxie cache is at or near #93 (Obviously the numbers change constantly), which is not bad considering it's out of 11,000+ caches and more often visited caches will gain favorite points more quickly. In reality, 11% of finders of the Got Moxie? cache have favorited it, While the top 3 favorited Maine caches have 6%, 18%, and 11% of finders adding the cache as a favorite. So you're doing well!
    Are favorite points included in geocaching API now or where did you get it from? This list is really meaningless. You should make a list of top % excluding members only caches, of course.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Are favorite points included in geocaching API now or where did you get it from? This list is really meaningless. You should make a list of top % excluding members only caches, of course.
    The favorite points come in the API, but unfortunately they are still not included in PQs. So, my current process involves me downloading PQs, which I do on a regular basis anyway, and then using the API to update all the caches. So it's almost like having to get PQs twice, which is dumb but the only way right now.

As far as using the percentages - I would love to do it that way, but the percentage data is not provided by the API, only the total points. And since I don't have every log of every cache in my database, I can't effectively calculate them either. There have been some requests for gc.com to include the total number of logs in PQs as well which would fix that (but may never happen). I obtained the percentages I listed by loading the individual cache pages and copying the percentages listed there.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

We should probably improve the quality of the cache... Later in the season, after the "people from away" have left... LOL!