vb:literal>

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have a Netbook?

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html is good for playing movies. It can play anything without installing any codecs. it's fast and light weight. It's free and open source
    Thank you cano. Needed another item (my laptop for me - the netbook for Amara at home - when I am not on the road) for the kid to use. She is into the Nickjr website right now which works fine. But later - we will explore. Thanks again.

Thanks for the comments!

I've been looking, but i haven't seen anything I like. Where are the new computers with the Intel Atom Z and 300-series chips? And Windows 7 is VERY hard to find. Why do so few computers have 2Gb memory?

If you look at a website like TigerDirect, they have dozens of netbooks - but none with the combination I want.

Sheesh! LOL!

Seems I read somewhere that the Netbooks are limited in the memory and OS areas due to licensing agreements. I think most of the netbooks I have seen are running XP and come in with about 1G of memory. You will probably be hard pressed to find configurations different from the standard issue.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Seems I read somewhere that the Netbooks are limited in the memory and OS areas due to licensing agreements. I think most of the netbooks I have seen are running XP and come in with about 1G of memory. You will probably be hard pressed to find configurations different from the standard issue.
    Sheesh! I've seen netbooks with Windows 7, but they all only have 1 GB of memory. And I've seen netbooks with 2 GB of memory, but they're all Windows XP. And afetr going to some the manufacturers websites, I'd have to agree - apart from the standard configurations, they don't give you many options for "custom-built" rigs.

I just may bite-the-bullet (where have I heard that before?) and get a cheap, generic model.

Buy winXP version, it's a win-win situation Besides you can probably add more memory if you need.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Buy winXP version, it's a win-win situation Besides you can probably add more memory if you need.
    I've got Windows 7 on my laptop, and I like it so far. Easy install, and hasn't given me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've got Windows 7 on my laptop, and I like it so far. Easy install, and hasn't given me any problems.
    Windows 7 has lower battery life on average.
    Moo

I have the asus 10" and I love it. Right off the bat I upgraded memory to 2GB and I bought an external dvd reader/burner. I was able to load my topo8 and lots of other programs I use with it. Ive had it for over a year and bring it campin/geocaching when ever we go out. The battery life is pretty low so bought a car adapter charger. Works for me. Oh yeah the asus that I bought has a pretty good size keyboard on it. Some that I looked at were really tiny keys. I guess I have fat fingers.

I have been thinking about getting one as well eventually. I get the impression that they are fine little machines for caching as well as having some form of internet when on the road. Not sure when I will be getting one though.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Before you decide go to Computers R Us or Computers ECT. or something like that. They will put together what you want and it will not cost that much more.

Just wish I could remember the name. It's on the Mall road in Bangor up near Hogan road. Right next to where Mail boxes ect. use to be.

I know that's terrible but it's the best I can do right now.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.