vb:literal>

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Saving geocachingmaine.org

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I can report to the board members if there is any ammount over what we are trying to raise here and we can decide what to do with it.

I have put it on the home page now with my name as a sample.

Rick, if there is an overage, I'm sure that nobody would mind it going towards the huge BBQ you do each summer. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Rick, if there is an overage, I'm sure that nobody would mind it going towards the huge BBQ you do each summer. Just a thought.
    And Rick . . . knowing you as I do . . . I don't think there's anyone who would ever accuse you of doing anything you have done for profit . . . you are the type of guy who is most definitely not motivated by money . . . trust me on this one . . . if there is extra money, no one would begrude you for whatever you would do with it . . . there is a trust issue here, and the fact is you are a very trustworthy steward for this site -- always above board!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hmmm . . . bet Rick could buy a Super Deluxe Slip And Slide for Hiram, huh?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Tax Issues

Uncle Sam has little interest in organizations that take in less than $5000 per year. This won't generate the type of money that would require a tax return.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Just a side thought, but probably isn't much of a concern because we're not talking mass amounts of money, but does any of this fall under some kinda tax laws that might come around and bite us for raising too much money???
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default The Spirit of Giving

I hope you're just trying to be funny. The point is that most people that contribute to organizations do so because they care about the cause, participate in the cause, see a need that the cause has and pony up to the bar happily and without need of recognition. I don't personally donate to groups for recognition and expect none, but most organizations will recognize individuals who make gifts above the norm. I'm fortunate that I can afford to support organizations of my choosing but it does not make me feel "really important." The point is that most donations are recognized at some level because it's the right thing to do.

quote=vicbiker;41313]How about this ...we could print a shirt say maybe in bright bright yellow...then we could print on it ...LOOK AT ME...I'M REALLY IMPORTANT. This could be given to all the people that contribute more then the others.[/quote]
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I hope you're just trying to be funny. The point is that most people that contribute to organizations do so because they care about the cause, participate in the cause, see a need that the cause has and pony up to the bar happily and without need of recognition.
    I agree, I give because I think it is worth it. I.m not one to want to see my name on the front page. To tell you the truth I don't even like the donating member tag under by name. But if that helps others, then so be it. It's good Karma, that's all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    I agree, I give because I think it is worth it. I.m not one to want to see my name on the front page. To tell you the truth I don't even like the donating member tag under by name. But if that helps others, then so be it. It's good Karma, that's all I need.
    I think I remember a thread discussing how you can change the banner under your name. Maybe 6-12 months ago?

The other group that I care a lot about, and feel does a lot of good is the Bicycle Coalition of Maine. All groups struggle with financial issues, the BCM is no different, so some members came up with the idea that if you donate a 1000 dollars you get a special bright yellow jersey to wear.This is where my statement on this thread stems from, which shortly after posting it I realized was more directed towards the BCM then our group. Sorry about that.

That said, I fully agree with Team Richards and Dubord that if you are fortunate enough or care enough to donate then by all means you should do so. Send Rick a check, hand him an envelope with some money in it at the pig roast, whatever works for you. Take a bow if you need to, but lets not run around with a special tag. If we are to do special tags, then lets have some for all those who put countless hours of their valuable time, and money out their own pockets, to make sure we all have a great time. How many hours went into this past weekends Pirate Quest? How many hours does Stef spend writing the news letter?

This is what I have against Donating member, or any other special tags. Donating what? I would still like to see any money needed to run this group be raised in a group type function, a yard sale, bake sale, whatever all members, young or old, rich or poor, would have an equal opportunity to participate.

I certainly do not mind pitching in and have done so regularly. As for the banner thing, for me it is not needed.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I think I remember a thread discussing how you can change the banner under your name. Maybe 6-12 months ago?
    I remember that thread, and I think I took a quick look at the profile page at the time and didn't see where I could change it. I just looked again and I'm still missing it. It's not a big deal just nothing I would ever ask for.