vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000, 1 Day, 1 Cacher!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So Brdad, are you going to say in so many words that you don't "embrace" this type of caching?
    Nah, I'll just say a few years ago I did the Appalachian trail down and then back. Of course, I did it by plane, but 4350 miles is 4350 miles, right?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Now that's a great and funny response!! Liked that one Dave in spite of my efforts to draw out a more sardonic response! Merry Christmas my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Nah, I'll just say a few years ago I did the Appalachian trail down and then back. Of course, I did it by plane, but 4350 miles is 4350 miles, right?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I just cannot fathom this. I am not saying that he did not do it. Like someone said getting in an out of a car 1.000 is a chore in itself. Try getting in and out of you car 1,000 times in one day. That would take a hours to do just parked in one spot, let alone finding caches. I am sure he did not have to get in and out of his car 1,000 times but just sit back and think about it, find 1,000 caches and how long it would take.
    Blazing Troll

Rick, from what I gather from people who have done the caches, they are all hidden the same way, on the same side of the road. That nearly eliminates the hunt time. The series is designed so people can find a lot in a short time. Many are using non-standard ways of logging them, like replacing the film can with another which has been previously logged. Some caches of this type people have stuck stickers on the outside of the film can instead of signing the log. Who knows, some may figure if they stop at each location it is good enough, it's not like the owner verifies the logs. Also, they are considering one day 24 hours. These are not found in a manner in which we are used to. Doing it alone has to be considerable harder, but I imagine it can be done by someone determined enough.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Right you are Dave..

Rick, from what I gather from people who have done the caches, they are all hidden the same way, on the same side of the road. That nearly eliminates the hunt time. The series is designed so people can find a lot in a short time. Many are using non-standard ways of logging them, like replacing the film can with another which has been previously logged. Some caches of this type people have stuck stickers on the outside of the film can instead of signing the log. Who knows, some may figure if they stop at each location it is good enough, it's not like the owner verifies the logs. Also, they are considering one day 24 hours. These are not found in a manner in which we are used to. Doing it alone has to be considerable harder, but I imagine it can be done by someone determined enough.
    And Petr is certainly determined enough. He is a machine....
    Happy Trails!

Default Facts

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I just cannot fathom this. I am not saying that he did not do it. Like someone said getting in an out of a car 1.000 is a chore in itself. Try getting in and out of you car 1,000 times in one day. That would take a hours to do just parked in one spot, let alone finding caches. I am sure he did not have to get in and out of his car 1,000 times but just sit back and think about it, find 1,000 caches and how long it would take.
    There are 1440 minutes in a day. 1023 caches would be approximately 1.4 caches per minute.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    There are 1440 minutes in a day. 1023 caches would be approximately 1.4 caches per minute.
    If that is correct and the caches have to be placed 1/4 mile apart. Then he should be in the Olympics
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    It's the other way 1.4 minutes per cache. But still, quite remarkable.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    If that is correct and the caches have to be placed 1/4 mile apart. Then he should be in the Olympics
    The caches can be placed .1 mile apart. At 10 MPH average, it would take 36 seconds 10 drive .1 mile. subtract that from 85 seconds per cache and you have 49 seconds to stop at the cache and do whatever you do to consider it a find. And that's not counting food or pee breaks or gas stops.

What makes these accomplishments hardest to understand is that their are no rules or standards, and there is is no verification. You just have to accept the finder did he caches in a manner that they find acceptable. You can't even compare the accomplishments of the finders of this one series, they each used their own set of rules. Does it matter? I guess it depends. My Appalachian Trail comment a few posts back was meant to be humorous, but what if I was serious? Should I expect equal credit as Rick and those others who have actually hiked it? Or maybe more credit since I did both ways in a month?

This also reminds me, several years ago I volunteered at the middle school to give a hands on science class to a group of ADHD students. One day I happened to be wearing a Stanford University t-shirt and they asked if I had gone to Stanford, to which I replied yes. And it was true, I went there while visiting CA, and bought the t-shirt that day. I wonder if that means I could put that I went there in my résumé? I'll just say I attended under my own terms.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

The caches can be placed .1 mile apart. At 10 MPH average, it would take 36 seconds 10 drive .1 mile. subtract that from 85 seconds per cache and you have 49 seconds to stop at the cache and do whatever you do to consider it a find. And that's not counting food or pee breaks or gas stops.

What makes these accomplishments hardest to understand is that their are no rules or standards, and there is is no verification. You just have to accept the finder did he caches in a manner that they find acceptable. You can't even compare the accomplishments of the finders of this one series, they each used their own set of rules. Does it matter? I guess it depends. My Appalachian Trail comment a few posts back was meant to be humorous, but what if I was serious? Should I expect equal credit as Rick and those others who have actually hiked it? Or maybe more credit since I did both ways in a month?

This also reminds me, several years ago I volunteered at the middle school to give a hands on science class to a group of ADHD students. One day I happened to be wearing a Stanford University t-shirt and they asked if I had gone to Stanford, to which I replied yes. And it was true, I went there while visiting CA, and bought the t-shirt that day. I wonder if that means I could put that I went there in my résumé? I'll just say I attended under my own terms.
    If you think it will help you you should put it to your resume.
    Why do you need to compare something? Play how you like it. Don't like it? Don't do it then.
    Even if everybody played according the same rules (brdad rules of course) someones work schedule will allow to geocache every day all over the world and someones just one day per month within their city. Some people would be limited only to wheelchair accessible caches. How do you want to compare then?
    Moo