vb:literal>

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's for supper?

I figure if I keep pretending it's spring old man winter will give up and let me have spring. I've been firing up the Weber with lump charcoal for a couple of weeks now, tonight was BBQ chicken (marinated in zesty Italian dressing this time), potato salad, garden salad, and big glass of milk for dinner. Wish there was good corn on the cob, ah well that will have to wait a few more months.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakingeko View Post
    ... and big glass of milk for dinner.
    Sheesh! (But that's another thread...)

I'm glad you mentioned "lump charcoal", though. Too many people use charcoal briquettes, which are 90% coal. Real wood charcoal is the only way to go. I've often wished there was an easy way to make your own charcoal. As matter of fact, here's a site that offers real wood, chips and pellets for REAL smoky flavor. I bought a "sampler" from them a few years ago that included a pound of pellets from each of 5 different woods. They work great in a smoker box on the gas grill, as well as the charcoal grill.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 02-23-2011 at 07:02 PM.

thanks for the link, my sister spent some time in Sudan and Kenya and says from the time you get there you all you can smell is burning wood, she says lots of the world's charcoal comes from that area

Quote Originally Posted by kayakingeko View Post
    thanks for the link, my sister spent some time in Sudan and Kenya and says from the time you get there you all you can smell is burning wood, she says lots of the world's charcoal comes from that area
    We lived in Turkey for 3 1/2 years, and grilled foods is a Turkish specialty. It got a little awkward sometimes when we couldn't identify what we were eating, but it usually tasted good when cooked over charcoal! LOL!

This same sister spent a month trying to adopt a girl from Pakistan two years ago, she had to hide in a room for days at a time, a young boy would bring her food to eat once a day, he didn't speak English. One night he brought her what appeared to be chicken over rice, everything was over rice. She tasted it, thought it had a strange texture, made her arms flap up and down, pointed at the plate and said "bock, bock?" he shook his head and replied "meow, she didn't eat meat for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yeah - sometimes I miss living so far from a restaurant, but... I like MY cooking! LOL! Chicken Scampi on linguine tonight at our house...
    I'll be right over!

Good catch Bruce. The mojitos got to me and spell check doesn't work for Spanish. It was Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef specialty of the restaurtant. Nice here, headed out for a power walk then I see a lounge chair at the pool and a good book in my future! And the GPS shows 4 caches within a half mile. The descriptions are in Spanish. Is there a way to translate them to English at geocaching.com?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Good catch Bruce. The mojitos got to me and spell check doesn't work for Spanish. It was Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef specialty of the restaurtant.
    Sheesh! I know Ropa Vieja! They serve it in a bun, right? Around here it's known as a hamburger!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Good catch Bruce. The mojitos got to me and spell check doesn't work for Spanish. It was Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef specialty of the restaurtant. Nice here, headed out for a power walk then I see a lounge chair at the pool and a good book in my future! And the GPS shows 4 caches within a half mile. The descriptions are in Spanish. Is there a way to translate them to English at geocaching.com?

I use google translator and it works well for me.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    We know how much you love corned beef!
    Who doesn't like the salted meat . . . it's right up there with bacon.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."