vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DTV Feb17th

d’76 Guest

Thumbs down DTV Feb17th

So I used one of the coupons I got today from the Dept. of Commerce for the 40 dollars off the converter box. I hooked it up today to see what would happen........ Nothing......... moved some things around.......... Nothing......... moved somemore things around.......... Nothing still. I have tried everything. So notice on the box it says special return policy in place. I call best buy. The coupon is good for only one purchase and then you are SOL. I can get my money back but the coupon goes back to the government. I did get two very chopped up pixalated crappy pictures with broken sound. So I guess I will have to comply with federal government BS and look at other options. As much tv as Connie and I watch this is going to be an incredible ripoff to us. I bet the tv isnt on 4 hours a week. So I guess I should have done more research before buying one. The coupon was for 40 dollars and the box was 59.99, so I guess this was a 20 dollar life lesson for me. What crap. Good luck to all you rabbit earred folks out there that wont justify 60 bucks or more a month to watch the idiot box.

That definitely sucks....

I don't actually really understand all this stuff but I have satellite at the moment so I'm not too worried ( I don't think it affects that ) ... I guess I'll worry about it when I can't afford the cable anymore? LOL

It almost sounds like you don't have a strong enough signal. The box may be perfectly fine, even though it may be useless. If your box can't get reception using your existing antenna, a new digital TV may not, either.

My sister gets the cable for the local channels that you can't get with some dish systems, it gives her 7 or 8 channels for less than the regular basic cable. I forget how much, though.

Other than that, you may try a larger antenna, outside if you could do so. I built one with phone wire an thumbtacks on the back of my entertainment center for HDTV that works 95% of the time, but I live right in town.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Dave, just do what I do... Don't watch TV

(you can download every episode of southpark off of their website, what more do ya need???)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It almost sounds like you don't have a strong enough signal. The box may be perfectly fine, even though it may be useless. If your box can't get reception using your existing antenna, a new digital TV may not, either.

My sister gets the cable for the local channels that you can't get with some dish systems, it gives her 7 or 8 channels for less than the regular basic cable. I forget how much, though.

Other than that, you may try a larger antenna, outside if you could do so. I built one with phone wire an thumbtacks on the back of my entertainment center for HDTV that works 95% of the time, but I live right in town.
    I agree with Dave . . . the second Dave that is. While the converter box may possibly be defective, it sounds as though you may not be getting enough of a signal where you are . . . with digital TV it's usually all or nothing . . . you either get a wonderfully, clear picture or you get the pixellation.

Where I live I receive WABI great . . . but then again I practically live in the shadow of their transmitter in Dixmont. I also have a roof top antenna and I added a powered line booster as well . . . WLBZ, WCSH and the other CBS affiliate in southern Maine come in about half of the time . . . some days are better than others.

Short of adding a roof-top antenna (or an antenna in your attic if you prefer to go that route) I can only let you know that the last I knew not every station in the Bangor Area was transmitting at full power for their digital stations . . . apparently the cost in running dual transmitters (standard def and hi def) is pretty pricey . . . things may change when the big switchover is made.

One thing I have noticed is that the PTV stations seem to be transmitting at pretty high power . . . plug things in and see if you can't pull in a signal from PBS.

You might want to see if Best Buy will make a swap for the same or similar unit . . . there is always the possibility that the converter is defective.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by bmeserve View Post

I don't actually really understand all this stuff but I have satellite at the moment so I'm not too worried ( I don't think it affects that ) ... I guess I'll worry about it when I can't afford the cable anymore? LOL
    Yup . . . you're right . . . cable and satellite subscribers really will only have to worry about the high def switch over if they have a service that doesn't offer local channels (i.e. I have DirecTV and so as a result I watch WABI for my local news and weekly Survivor fix.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Yup . . . you're right . . . cable and satellite subscribers really will only have to worry about the high def switch over if they have a service that doesn't offer local channels (i.e. I have DirecTV and so as a result I watch WABI for my local news and weekly Survivor fix.)
    I wonder if Eric would have been that stupid in HD!!!LOL!!!

I also think I read, but can't seem to find facts to back it up, that once the stations stop broadcasting an analog signal, they will increase the power output from the digital signal.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by bmeserve View Post

Can Nascar get any better in HD!!! I'd watch it on the radio if I had too!!!
    That's my weekly fix. It's too bad Stevie didn't shake Kyle's head right off last week, Then he wouldn't have taken Dale out!!!!!!!Let's see who dances withh the lady this week!!!!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    I wonder if Eric would have been that stupid in HD!!!LOL!!!
    HehHeh . . . another Survivor fanatic, huh? It's been a good season . . . but man are those guys dumb.