vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caches in Waterville

Default Caches in Waterville

The wife and I will be traveling to Waterville for a weekend later this month to visit my brother in law and his wife. I've been telling them about my new hobby and they seem interested. I see that there are many caches in the area, but does any one have any caches to suggest for a couple of green horns and two people who have never gone. Looking for a few that have that WOW factor. Thanks

I have a couple in the area that you should find fun and interesting.

#1 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...d-5a26585da05f

#2 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-b854f69aeaa9 Located in Fairfield but just a few miles down the road.

There is a great micro called Old 470 that will test your geo senses, not mine but a great hide with numerous DNF's including 3 by me when I first started caching. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...f-652d896456bf

Plus many in the area by Hiram357 and Laughing Terry. Have fun!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Luaghing Terry's are a lil' more difficult than mine... My lombard Micro and Ft. Halifax are interesting ones (if you like history) The 470 is a must (it was my first find) If you like walking trails there are a couple on the Colby trails, Perkins Sanctuary and TeePee Treasures.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

There are some great caches in the Waterville Area . . . and a lot of variety with some traditional caches, devilishly clever micros and several nice walks.

Some of my favorite micros include:

Right in Plain Sight: A really neat place . . . but be prepared to be frustrated as Laughing Terry's hides are legendary

Lombard Micro: I honestly have been here twice and haven't found this cache yet (even with a clue from Hiram), but I love "historical" caches and this one will bring you to a semi-restored Lombard Hauler

Old 470: A very clever cache by Brdad . . . you may end up with a DNF here, but you really ought to try this one . . . who knows you may get lucky on the first try . . . or it may take a trip or two or seven.

Easier caches with a nice walk/view:

Oxbow Nature Trail: View of a nice man-made waterfall along easy walking paths

Judge Morton A. Brody Playground: Easy walk alongside the waterway

Perkins Sanctuary: It took me a couple of times to find this cache as it seems to be a bit more difficult for some to find, but the walk down and area this is located in with the large hemlocks is very serene and is a must do.

The MESSalonskee Mishap: Quick, easy and a nice view of the stream

Waterville Rotary Club Hiking Trail: When I was last here the cache container was less than ideal (it may have been replaced however), but the easy walk along this old railroad bed and views at the end of the trail of the river were quite nice . . . plus you can combine this with The Acer saccharinum micro (nicely done) for a two-for-one deal

Mill Island Power Plant: Not in Waterville, but then again neither is the Waterville Rotary Club Hiking Trail -- pretty darn close though.

Benton Riverside: If you're out this way doing the Mill Island Power Plant you might as well travel just a bit further and do this easy cache along the river.

Shawmut Fishing Hole: Heck . . . you've gone this far. Why not try this cache -- a very nice view of the man-made waterfalls.

Historical caches:

Fort Halifax: Quick and easy cache, but the bonus is a bit of history with the Fort Halifax Blockhouse replica nearby

Mill Island Park Multi: One of my favorite historical caches -- very nicely done. Learn and cache at the same time. The first few stages are very easy for beginners and the end stage is nicely hidden away.

A neat puzzle cache:

Outer Limits: You'll have to solve this first from home before attempting it . . . if you solve it and you opt to do the Right in Plain Sight cache you can get a two-for-one cache deal. I should mention that for some odd reason I had a hard time finding this one (the story of my life . . . Hiram you can insert a Magellan joke here _____ )

This said . . . there are a ton of other caches in the area that I didn't cover . . . and if you end up with extra time you can expand your search to nearby Hinckley, China, Albion and even little ol' Unity.

Hope this helped.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Luaghing Terry's are a lil' more difficult than mine... My lombard Micro and Ft. Halifax are interesting ones (if you like history) The 470 is a must (it was my first find) If you like walking trails there are a couple on the Colby trails, Perkins Sanctuary and TeePee Treasures.
    Just a correction . . . TeePee Treasurers has been archived unfortunately . . . I say unfortunately since the view of the cityscape was quite nice . . . especially when I happened to do it as the sun was setting last summer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Just a correction . . . TeePee Treasurers has been archived unfortunately . . . I say unfortunately since the view of the cityscape was quite nice . . . especially when I happened to do it as the sun was setting last summer.
    The walk around the trails is still worth it though, very nice trail system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    The walk around the trails is still worth it though, very nice trail system.
    Very true . . . you know Hiram you could place a really nice cache there in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Very true . . . you know Hiram you could place a really nice cache there in the near future.

I was thinking of a multi that would take a nice round trip tour of the trail system.

Hiram / Jake - that sounds nice. I'll be watching.

Thanks guys. I was also looking at Moes Mountain Cache. A huge rock in an apple tree!!! How bizarre is that.

There are so many caches to choose from in this area compared to my area. I'm only going to be able to go caching for one day this trip.