vb:literal>

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: SeriousTool hits 200. Hides, that is.

What about kids caching with parents?
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Woops! Sorry about screwing up the quote box. Feel free to fix it. Hey, Dave, can you direct me to the tutorial you did on getting the site name on caches we publish? I added it to all my caches a while back and want to add it to the new caches I recently put out. Thanks!
    I make that mistake off and on myself, it's just unfortunate everyone can't correct their own anymore.

The tutorial can "easily" be found in the new Article menu of the main page in the Web Site Help section, subheading Promoting GcMaine on Your Cache Page. Or, just click the link I just provided.

I think it's great more and more people are adding this to all their web pages.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 04:06 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    What about kids caching with parents?
    If the kid(s) are caching under the parent's user name or family team in some cases, then there really is no problem. The only problem I would see then is if the kids were old enough to go find some alone in one place and the parents found some in another place, and each logged as the team. It's not really a big deal, personally I don't think it is in the spirit of the game and it is another example that you can't compare one cacher's numbers to another cacher's.

Many husbands and wives share the same account as well, but generally it is assumed that only one of the spouses finds all of the caches logged. My account originally indicated both myself and my son, though he very rarely goes now. But all of the finds claimed under the account have been visited by me. If he was to someday start caching on his own, I would not let him log under my account, I would have him create his own and I think most cache hiders would allow him to log the caches we could honestly say he visited with me. This happens quite often actually. Any that we were unsure of or the hider would not allow, he could revisit for the find.

I think it'd be a good idea for a lot of kids to have their own account and be responsible for logging their finds, reflecting on their find in their own words.

Lee and I cache as two separate cachers, and intend to keep it that way. She has her finds, and I have mine. We very rarely cache apart now, but we are still our own entity in that regard.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 04:05 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

JustPJ66 (Pam) and I cache together. We have a rubber stamp to use on the log in the cache, one stamp both names. We will log our finds seperately on GC.com and if we were to cache alone, probably wouldn't use the rubber stamp. In those caches with log books large enough to invite a log as well as a signature, we'll play those by ear and use the stamp on some, physically sign others. One thing we won't be doing is logging caches we haven't been to. If I were to go alone, Pam wouldn't log my finds as hers and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    If bogus logging of caches was widespread, I'd have 900,000 finds already. I don't think it is as widespread and as big of a problem as we think.
    As I stated before, I don't think it is as much of an issue locally, but it may be more of a problem than you think and without education new cachers have no idea. It all depends on what you call "not in the spirit" or "cheating", and how much you think it degrades the game for the rest of us.

There was an event just last weekend out of state. Only 40 people were allowed to attend because of allowed space at the campground. I counted 14 different accounts logged to the event, and between those there are 319 attended logs. Many logged multiple times for each temporary event cache. One newer cacher had 90 cache finds before the event and 152 finds after - 62 logs on one event! It's hard to call these people cheaters - they obviously consider this the norm, but it sure makes the rest of us cachers look like a bunch of idiots nor is it in the spirit of the game in my opinion.

I could give you a ton of links that are questionable about being in the spirit of the game, and another list of those that most would consider cheating to some degree. Very few locally. But give it time, it will come.

And for those that do cheat by creating bogus logs, I don't agree that they are only cheating themselves. Just like when a sports player or other public figure gets caught cheating it really degrades the sport or venue that person is involved in.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 05:00 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Default Thanks!

Thanks Dave, and I hope when I hit the button this post comes out correctly! What the heck were you doing up at 03:44?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I make that mistake off and on myself, it's just unfortunate everyone can't correct their own anymore.

The tutorial can "easily" be found in the new Article menu of the main page in the Web Site Help section, subheading Promoting GcMaine on Your Cache Page. Or, just click the link I just provided.

I think it's great more and more people are adding this to all their web pages.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Thanks Dave, and I hope when I hit the button this post comes out correctly! What the heck were you doing up at 03:44?
    I have problems shutting my mind off some nights, other nights I have problems shutting my plumbing off. Last night was a little of both! I guess it was the combination of having time to ponder what to build next and drinking a few gallons of water/soda on the way back from NH yesterday. I'm also pondering presenting something to the caching community...
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I thought I had this quote thing down pat......go ahead Dave, and thanks.

PS: If either of the past two posters would like their quoted text fixed, give me the ok and I'll fix it.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

... ... I guess it was the combination of having time to ponder what to build next and drinking a few gallons of water/soda on the way back from NH yesterday. I'm also pondering presenting something to the caching community...
    Oh no, not a formal request for geo-police?
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Oh no, not a formal request for geo-police?
    Not quite, but if I don't word it right it may come across that way.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!