vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help for a DUMB MOM

Question A little help for a DUMB MOM

OK.....so, my kids can geocache....they know what they're doing. I have a general idea and even found a cool map of the Mt. Desert Island area with what I presume are caches shown. Here's my question: Don't I need some sort of coordinates for the gps thingy? I know how DUMB I must sound, but I am sort of counting on my kids (who have done this at school in Enrichment classes) to know what to do if I can supply them with some coordinates. Also, I need to know what the "protocol" is about leaving something in the cache. I know that food stuff isn't good (duh, even I am not that dumb!) but what about things like quarters from the state we live in or pencils or other durable stuff with the kids' school name? Is that OK?
    We are going to be camping on Mt. Desert Island for 2 weeks - this is our 3rd trip to Mt. Desert in 4 years and we've just about exhausted the "touristy" stuff, so we wanted to do something different. We're really looking forward to our 2 weeks in Maine.......we LOVE IT THERE!
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me......

It's not dumb at all. What you need to do first is sign up with a username at www.geocaching.com , once you've done that you can type in the zip code for Mt Desert (04660) and you will get a page with all the caches in the area,when you click on one of the caches another page will come up complete with coordinants and a description of the type of cache and sometimes what was in them originally. State quarters and such are fine for a cache, also small toys and other items of interest. Keep an eye on this thread as I'm sure there will be other members more than willing to help. Hope this helps and hope you all have a great time
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character

There are NO dumb questions!

You need to register as a user on Geocaching.com to get information like coordinates. You don't necessarily need to pay, but eventually you may want to do that as there are additional benefits for that level membership.

You are correct on the items to leave. Food, candles, lotion, etc. are not good. Durable itmes are perfect. Many people create their own signature item to leave behind, which can be fun for fellow geocachers to collect. Some also create a business size card to leave behind saying that they were there.

As for Maine - there is so much to see. MDI is a beautiful area for sure, but there are lots and lots of other places to visit as well. You can travel all along the coast and find wonderful areas. You can also visit the mountains and northern part of the state for a different perspective. If you have exhausted the touristy things in the MDI area you may want to check out other areas too. Many great places for camping, hiking, fishing, rafting, etc.

Have fun!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post
    There are NO dumb questions!

Oh, I don't know about that, Beachy! LOL!

But to answer WannaBe's question: "Don't I need some sort of coordinates for the gps thingy?":

The easiest way for a beginner is to print out cache listing from goecaching.com, enter the coordinates (from the printout) into your GPSr, and go find the cache. The listing will have all the information you need.

As you get more experience, there are programs which will allow you to load multiple waypoints (cache coordinates) directly into your GPSr from your computer.

Take baby steps before you try and run! LOL!

Smile Thank You

Amazingly enough, I did manage to follow a link from this site and find the geocaching.com stuff that you all mentioned. AND..........WOWZER......I did find exactly what I thought I needed! Thanks for your help and advice.
    AND.......we do know that there is so much more of Maine to explore, but we are definitely drawn to MDI and the rocky shores, the trails, the carriage roads. I'm looking forward to our upcoming adventures with geocaching.
    AGAIN.......thank you so MUCH!! (especially for making me feel NOT DUMB)

Quote Originally Posted by MaineWannaBe View Post
    Amazingly enough, I did manage to follow a link from this site and find the geocaching.com stuff that you all mentioned. AND..........WOWZER......I did find exactly what I thought I needed! Thanks for your help and advice.
    AND.......we do know that there is so much more of Maine to explore, but we are definitely drawn to MDI and the rocky shores, the trails, the carriage roads. I'm looking forward to our upcoming adventures with geocaching.
    AGAIN.......thank you so MUCH!! (especially for making me feel NOT DUMB)
    Another area on the coast, which is not as busy as MDI, where geocaching abounds thanks to becket and others is Deer Isle - Stonington. Some beautiful locations and awesome hikes - plus caches.

Enjoy your visit to Maine and caching along the way!

Also there is a good Earthcache program that was put together by the NPS as well that will probably bring you to places that you haven't found before in ANP. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=gc11m7t
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Talking I just might get it .....

Thanks Haffy! When I followed the link from this site to the geocaching.com site, I did find the nps Earthcache and thought it looked like a lot of fun and educational too! Being a teacher-mom, if I can make something educational, well, I feel obligated to do it! We have done ANP many times and I was thinking the same thing ........ that maybe we would see things we hadn't seen before.
    And Hollora - we've looked into Stonington and Deer Isle as possible "new coastal places to visit". I'm also guessing that since it isn't so busy and "touristy" it may actually be a cheaper place to stay too! We did, one trip about 9 years ago, leave MDI and drive up the coast to New Brunswick and then back down through the northern part of Maine. I am just 'addicted' the rocky shores of Maine ...... it's my hope to someday retire to a lovely little place on the ocean - at least for the summers!!
    Again, thank you so much to everyone who keeps giving me advice and tips and so on. We leave on July 21 and will be gone for 2 weeks....I'm going to be sure to post when we get back to let you all know how we did. Right now, we're borrowing a gps from a friend, so if this goes well, I'm sure I'll be looking for advice about which one might best fit our needs as a family to actually purchase!
    I am so glad I found you all!!!!

Isn't the geocaching community just great? And especially this site here in Maine, we all try to help in some way or another if we can. Don't let my SC profile scare yah I just moved down here a month ago and I'll always feel a part of this organization.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Don't let my SC profile scare yah I just moved down here a month ago and I'll always feel a part of this organization.
    Sheesh! Another "Mainer Wannabe"! LOL!