vb:literal>

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Winter Campout Event WITH Snow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    And that according to Webster is humor, causing one to laugh with enjoyment.
    Hiram makes it so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Jake

I know how to get there. I have already been there on the sleds. I am going Saturday morning sometime. If you want to hook up with me let me know. I am going solo right now. I would really like another sledder to go with me. We can put in at Newport or we could put in at Vic's parking cooridinates. I am easy. I just want a sledding partner.
    What is the best way to get there for here . . . if I do come (and right now it's a big "if" since you know my feelings on groups and events plus I'll probably be getting a late start since my brother-in-law is coming up sometime on Saturday morning) I was wondering what is the best way to get there . . . and hopefully you won't say that it involves riding the rail trail all the way from Newport since a) I've done this trail so many times this year that it is mind-numbing and b) it receives a lot of traffic and gets beat up pretty badly.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    What is the best way to get there for here . . . if I do come (and right now it's a big "if" since you know my feelings on groups and events plus I'll probably be getting a late start since my brother-in-law is coming up sometime on Saturday morning) I was wondering what is the best way to get there . . . and hopefully you won't say that it involves riding the rail trail all the way from Newport since a) I've done this trail so many times this year that it is mind-numbing and b) it receives a lot of traffic and gets beat up pretty badly.
    I hate to tell you this, but the rail trail is what I was going to say. There may be another way but that is the way I went when I went to check out the event area.

Here are the directions to the Maine's Winter Camping Event 2007 from ITS 85. I have also included a Google earth file and a gpx file. The gpx file you should be able to upload to you gps and use teh track file and wayponits to get to the event.

1. From ITS 85 at N45° 14.658' and W69° 32.236' take the turn off at this location. There should be a sign saying Balsam Woods Campground.
    2. Follow the trail until you cross a metal bridge.
    3. Once you cross the bridge there will be another trail leading to the right as soon as you cross the bridge, but do not take this trail. Keep going straight up the road.
    4. The trail will go along side the road (barrow falls road) for about 0.4 miles then it will veer off from the road to the left back into the woods.
    5. Then about 0.44 miles down this trail at coordinates N 45° 13.845 W 069° 32.270 there is a side trail leading to the final coordinates N 45° 14.008 W 069° 31.773 that will bring you to the camp fire pit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Blazing Troll

I got some questions to everyone that is going tomorrow.
    1. What time is everyone planning on showing up at the event? I am just looking for rough estimates.
    2. How many of you are planning on spending the night are at least staying late?
    I am not sure about what time I will be showing up. It all depends on if I am going to be sledding in with Jake or not. If I come alone it will probably be about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. If I can get someone to sled into the event with then I would come earlier. I am just not to fond of riding in alone that is what I am not leaving earlier. I will be sledding in from Newport most likely. If someone wants to sled into the event and needs some way to haul their sled I have room for one more on my trailer as long as I don't have to drive to many miles out of the way to pick it up.

I will not be spending the night because I will have to sled back to the truck and come home. I have to give my son a ride to work in the morning on Sunday. It also depends on how long I hang out at the event as to who I go with.

Also if I make it to the event and I can not drive down into it on the snowmobile then chances are that I may not show up. I am not so fond of leaving my sled on the side of a snowmobile trail while I am almost 1/2 mile off the trail at the event area for the day. My snowmobile cost me to much to do that.
    Blazing Troll

Default I am going to be there...

I am leaving Brewer around 7am. When I get there is anybody's guess. I am staying the night, and will leave on Sunday when the party breaks up. A new experiance for me , and am very much looking forweard to it.
    Happy Trails!

we'll be leaving waterville about 10, well be stayin overnight.

Any directions yet to the parking at #7's vic?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

What time is everyone planning on showing up at the event? I am just looking for rough estimates.
    I will be there very early with TAT
    How many of you are planning on spending the night are at least staying late?
    I am.

I can leave early, have to be here for when the plows clear the parking lots. Do you have a street address or coords for #7s parking area vic? (I don't think he lives on my map)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I can leave early, have to be here for when the plows clear the parking lots. Do you have a street address or coords for #7s parking area vic? (I don't think he lives on my map)
    Hiram I will put a sign at # 7 house just for you.Actually I got signs all made for all the trails and for parking at #7 house.Tat and I will be at the spot where you and Rick came in last time.

Default I'll be there ?

Poor Gary keeps calling from airports today. There are flight problems and then he has to dig out when he gets home. There's some strange story about a Russian woman and a man in blue yelling at him to stop. He's packed, but maybe he'll be too tired to go. The plan was for him to pick me up. Hey, maybe he can make it to Augusta and I can drive the truck! (I have driven it from Gardiner to Augusta, once, and I am proud to say I didn't put a dent in it).
    I'm semi-packed and plan on being there before noon. I dreaming of a nice snowshoe in. Vic... can I park at Barrows Falls road (where I parked before) or do you recommend going elsewhere?