vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Which would you choose for the newsletter?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • As Is

9 75.00%
  • Sound the Stories: emphasis on features

2 16.67%
  • Elevate the Events: increase number of events listed

0 0%
  • Mark the Media: emphsis on media coverage

0 0%
  • Heavy on Hot Topics: increase number of hot topics listed

1 8.33%
  • Other: please indicate by posting a reply or sending PM

0 0%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsletter Contents

Lightbulb milestones and bios

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sorry, Medawookie. I don't like this idea. This site is for ALL geocachers. I don't want someone to feel left out because their bio will never be included because they're "not interesting".

I like mentioning milestones because everyone likes having a feeling of accomplishment. But there's no reason to keep mentioning the "big numbers" cachers over and over. Perhaps the Advisory Committee should encourage keeping milestone mentions to a minimum - perhaps at set milestones such as 100, 500, 1000 caches.

As for biographies - who decides who gets a mention in the newsletter/forums? What criteria do we use to decide? We have a LOT of interesting members. Someone would get left out or feelings hurt because they were not profiled.
    Bios: WhereRWe? has a good point regarding jealous cachers. If we were to include bios into the Newsletter, I would advocate for my suggestion above: To create a separate forum thread called Biographies, or to use the Articles forum, and have cachers develop their own biographies (ok so that would be an autobiography!). In rare cases, for cachers who don't like to write, but who have a background they want to share, as the Newsletter editor I'd be willing to interview them by phone or email to write up a biography. Then these threads would be highlighted in the Newsletter like Hot Topics are. I would include all bios posted, I would never deter folks from posting bios, and I would welcome anyone to contact me about writing a bio for them or even just reviewing a bio before they post it if that's what they'd like. This way, they are in control of who gets mentioned, not me or the Board.

Milestones: When someone mentioned a milestone in a thread, I used to include it in the Newsletter. Then it appeared that we were choosing whose milestones to include in the Newsletter and excluding cachers; despite my arguement that we could just post how it was, we decided the simplest solution was to take out the Milestone section all together, because I nor the Board were interested in tracking ALL milestones. Which in the end was great with me because it made more room for other sections of the newsletter. The bios should not end up like the Milestones, because people will write them about themselves (or seek me out to write them), instead of cachers posting about others' milestones, which is how that thread mostly works.

Kapeesh? Other thoughts?
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    If we were to include bios into the Newsletter, I would advocate for my suggestion above: To create a separate forum thread called Biographies, or to use the Articles forum, and have cachers develop their own biographies (ok so that would be an autobiography!).

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    In rare cases, for cachers who don't like to write, but who have a background they want to share, as the Newsletter editor I'd be willing to interview them by phone or email to write up a biography.
    Not so great idea!

If someone isn't willing to write their own bio - again, this is a personal thing and not a Newsletter function - then they don't get one. Besides, they have the opportunity to post their bio on their GCM.org as well as their GC.com page. If that isn't enough...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post

Not so great idea!

If someone isn't willing to write their own bio - again, this is a personal thing and not a Newsletter function - then they don't get one. Besides, they have the opportunity to post their bio on their GCM.org as well as their GC.com page. If that isn't enough...

I think it's a good idea to interview people. We have a lot of very interesting people out there that are not the type to toot their own horn. An interview would be a great way to include them in the newspaper.

This is an opportunity for someone who would be willing to write bios to find interested parties to interview, and then create an article from that. And then it might get mentioned in the newsletter.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Exclamation Don't forget the Podcast

Kacky and KG are still doing their podcast twice a month. They do interviews quite often with the local cachers.
    Happy Trails!

Arrow thanks for the ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Kacky and KG are still doing their podcast twice a month. They do interviews quite often with the local cachers.
    I should try to listen to these more often, but I fail to do so...do they have a "table of contents" for their shows so that you can pick and choose what segments to listen to?
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Wink Milkestones

First of all, I have found this discussion informative. I have concluded that "bios" probably won't work and that the best course for those who enjoy "creative writing" is to simply do an interesting article from time to time.

As far as milestones, this is one subject that can be rather important to some, particularily newer cachers. Recognition is what makes the world go around. Any well run organization has a recognition program. The concept is very simple: Reward breeds satisfaction and continued participation. I don't think we can quantify what number warrants a milestone post. It could be 10 caches for some and 5000 for another, but if it's posted I think the veteran cachers and those who post of this site daily ought to take 10 seconds or so to acknowledge it. You'll not only feel good doing so, but you'll make somebody else, even somebody you don't know, feel the pride of accomplishment as well. There's no down side to this whatsoever, and a lot of potential to keep folks playing. On the other side of the coin, some folks might consider a lack of response to a milestone as a "slight" from the membership.

So in this light, my thanks to those of you that keep this interesting site running and for those of you who take the time to comment and keep it interesting.

I like mentioning milestones because everyone likes having a feeling of accomplishment. But there's no reason to keep mentioning the "big numbers" cachers over and over. Perhaps the Advisory Committee should encourage keeping milestone mentions to a minimum - perhaps at set milestones such as 100, 500, 1000 caches.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Wink Milestones

First of all, I have found this discussion informative. I have concluded that "bios" probably won't work and that the best course for those who enjoy "creative writing" is to simply do an interesting article from time to time.

As far as milestones, this is one subject that can be rather important to some, particularily newer cachers. Recognition is what makes the world go around. Any well run organization has a recognition program. The concept is very simple: Reward breeds satisfaction and continued participation. I don't think we can quantify what number warrants a milestone post. It could be 10 caches for some and 5000 for another, but if it's posted I think the veteran cachers and those who post of this site daily ought to take 10 seconds or so to acknowledge it. You'll not only feel good doing so, but you'll make somebody else, even somebody you don't know, feel the pride of accomplishment as well. There's no down side to this whatsoever, and a lot of potential to keep folks playing. On the other side of the coin, some folks might consider a lack of response to a milestone as a "slight" from the membership.

So in this light, my thanks to those of you that keep this interesting site running and for those of you who take the time to comment and keep it interesting.

Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Celebrate 2006, 2007

My event that I run in January to to celebrate the past year in geocaching. A couple of us have thrown around the idea of posting and mentioning milestones. I am just always afraid to leave someone out.
    The other thing I have seen done in other areas is awards for creative caches, funny caches, best series, etc.
    Now, that said, I am a Phys. Ed. teacher and I know that competition can get out of hand. I also know that recognition is a wonderful thing...
    It's a tough call. I don't cache for the numbers. I have been a member since 2003 and I only have 800 caches. I cache for friendship, exercise, discovery, and yes, even to brighten a boring day. I like to make little adventures out of my excursions.
    Also, I do not like crowds. I can handle them, but I'd rather be outside or in a large room. I also do a lot of other activities besides geocaching, therefore, often there are conflicts.
    Let's face it... we all have our own reasons to cache, and no matter what the reason, it just seems the people involved are some of the nicest people in the world. I guess that's what makes any event fun.

I note that Dubord's comment was posted twice. This happened to me yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit "submit" twice. Is there a bug in the system somewhere?