vb:literal>

Thread: Why do you download mapping?

Default Why do you download mapping?

For the inexperienced amongst us....Can you explain why you need to down load mapping programs...what unit you use..if it came with mapping,and if you needed more...why? and what you downloaded to make it do what you needed it to do.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default Well.....

I admit it. I download the mapping software because I'm a geek and like the updates.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    For the inexperienced amongst us....Can you explain why you need to down load mapping programs...what unit you use..if it came with mapping,and if you needed more...why? and what you downloaded to make it do what you needed it to do.

Need? hmmmm Makes it easier for me to plan a route if I can see where things are. If I have a day off I can also plan to visit an area that is highly concentrated with caches. The snapshot I've uploaded is unfound caches within 25 miles of my home. I live close to where the crosshairs .

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default unfound caches within 25 miles of my home.

If you would go caching when invited instead of WORK or WOOD or SOCCER you would not have so many close to your house!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Default Maps

Currently I am using the Garmin GPS 60csx. I bought it at Sam's Club just about a year ago now for $235 while everywhere else was selling it for $350+. I did a ton of research as to GPSr's that hold signal the best as well as looked all over online for free map sources before buying it. It came with Garmin Mapsource but really, the maps with that were included on Mapsource were just as plain as what was already loaded. The best source for free maps that included all the roads including dirt roads and fire lanes (very important in regards to caching) was here. I loaded these onto the memory card using Mapsource and was good to go.

I also started playing with all the different sites that have POI databases on them so I would have the other neccessity for caching...stores, restaurants, and other places with public bathrooms. Once I finally became a premium member, I found that it was also fun to go through and load all my finds as POI files so I can revisit if my dad happens to be in the area and wants a get some caches. After looking at all the other Garmins out there, I'm glad I got the one I did. My dad recently got a PN-40 and even though I'm sure its a great unit, its not for me.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I own three types of Garmins, had a colorado.......Delorme PN-40.......and even have a Suunto Military GPS watch. While Delorme may offer the greatest selection and potential for using maps w/the GPSr....I've never really used them much for geocaching.

I like using Delorme's Topo8 on the laptop, and Garmin's Mapsource for a quick and easy reference tool w/out hogging a ton of memory. On the GPSrs I often use Garmin's City navigator for more accurate roads/streets, and topo for the occassional water or topo lines of reference.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!