vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preserves, parks, trail systems, clusters of caches

Quote Originally Posted by team barbieri View Post
    Helpfull hint...When there are no trail maps except one posted on the kiosk we usually take a picture of it with our digital camera or cell phone for reference later while on the trails.
    You can use that picture as background for your GPS application on your cellphone, snap a picture of the trail map with your cellphone, import picture into your GPS application, calibrate it by pointing where on the map are you now (it usually says YOU ARE HERE), walk to the next corner, calibrate again, this will stretch and rotate the image the way it corresponds with reality. Enjoy
    Moo

Thumbs up Working Forest

For those who travel to the lakes region of New Hampshire, the Working Forest series.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...log=y&decrypt=

Thanks for the thread Dan.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    You can use that picture as background for your GPS application on your cellphone, snap a picture of the trail map with your cellphone, import picture into your GPS application, calibrate it by pointing where on the map are you now (it usually says YOU ARE HERE), walk to the next corner, calibrate again, this will stretch and rotate the image the way it corresponds with reality. Enjoy
    Now if I was smart enough to use applications and use a "smart Phone" and wasn't so cheap that I won't pay for all this extra stuff....that is good to know. I am sure for some this will be a priceless piece of information. Cano - your skills amaze me!

Adding a new one Di and I did today...The Bear Mountain series by geoskeffs near Turner. There's 13 total caches, a 3 to 4 hour round trip hike with varying but not real hard terrain and then the view at the top which is simply stunning. We had a rumble or two of thunder and had to backtrack after hitting the summit but had another fantastic hike. Specifics: first half mile up is on largely rocky terrain and the steepest part of the hike. It levels off and the footing is much better after the #5 cache. The hides have great coords, but the tree cover made my 550 a little slow to get me on the cache. Use your geosenses. We had no DNF's. If you do all 13, you end up looping back to the main trail which unfortunately we did do because of the impending storm. (Don't be surprised if I run up and get the other 3 real soon!)

Put this bunch on your "bucket list!"
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

These sound like exactly my kind of caches. Easy on the knees.....
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default trail systems

speaking of trail systems...today I was half searching on the site for some trails that might be friendly enough for a stroller. Well packed dirt, or pavement. My back is not up to back packing a one year old at the moment and wondered where we might find some paved bike trails to walk and cache on today. Heard there were some bike trails in the Georgetown/ Reid State Park area but did not find any info online to find out the condition. I know the Brunswick paved trail along the river would be one, but does anyone have any references closer to Rockland area that would fit the bill?
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

The Trail at Reid would NOT be stroller friendly. The Rail Trail between Augusta and Gardiner is paved so it would be perfect. Most of the trails in the Vaughn Woods in Hallowell where there's over 20 caches would be smooth enough for a stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    These sound like exactly my kind of caches. Easy on the knees.....
    Both of my knees have issues and they're both a little sore today. While the Bear Mountain Mountain series is first class, I think folks with knee issues have to know that there's a solid half mile of walking on uneven terrain punctuated by large stones. That said, Di and I will probably go there again at some point to get the last 3 we didn't get as I'm told by the CO that some of the best views are with those 3.

I think we heed a new attribute....knee friendly.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    Dan you should compile all this into a permanent article for new cachers to refer to in the future! Great thread!
    When you talk about these places that they, (I), might not know where they are, it would be heplful if you give them, (me), the starting GC number of the trail so we can find it easily.
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"