vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter pocket queries

I agree with kayakingeko. I find that when I run my winter friendly PQ I lose a ton of caches that simply have no attributes. Sometimes I will inquire with the owner if I am planning a long hike just to ensure it is winter friendly if I have doubts. I had one this last weekend that was marked as winter friendly but it was not really and I only discovered that after some snowshoeing and digging in the snow. Another good idea is to look at the logs to see if others have found the cache in the winter months.

There's a good point here. Many cache placers DON"T list any attributes. I think new cache placers need to be encouraged to do so. Newer cachers often don't learn about PQ's and GSAK for sometime after they start placing caches. I know tat can't encourage every cache owner whose caches he approves to add attributes, but the rest of us can. I had a couple of newer cachers ask me what the winter attribute means at Karen's event. Quite frankly, the way it's snowing, the only cache in the state that will be winter friendly is Laughing Terry's Wattatree cache!

Please add attributes when you place caches!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I agree with kayakingeko. I find that when I run my winter friendly PQ I lose a ton of caches that simply have no attributes. Sometimes I will inquire with the owner if I am planning a long hike just to ensure it is winter friendly if I have doubts. I had one this last weekend that was marked as winter friendly but it was not really and I only discovered that after some snowshoeing and digging in the snow. Another good idea is to look at the logs to see if others have found the cache in the winter months.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I'm not so sure but what attributes on new listings is only half or less than half the battle.

Cache owners should also check their existing caches. New attributes have been added and existing attributes have been edited in the past 6 months. Keeping this data updated is part of the maintenance process. If you can't keep up, you should not be hiding any more.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm not so sure but what attributes on new listings is only half or less than half the battle.

Cache owners should also check their existing caches. New attributes have been added and existing attributes have been edited in the past 6 months. Keeping this data updated is part of the maintenance process..
    ??? My cache was winter friendly for a long time. Now it is thourougly buried by snow plows. Is it okay to change the attirbute page as the season progresses and change it back as the snow melts?

I think that is absolutely fine to change attributes as they change at the cache site. I have done that with some of mine and I am aware of others who do the same. Attributes are for the finders and if marked appropriately it will make for a better caching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    ??? My cache was winter friendly for a long time. Now it is thourougly buried by snow plows. Is it okay to change the attirbute page as the season progresses and change it back as the snow melts?
    I never thought about it that way, but if a Winter friendly cache becomes impossible to do because of snow, it would seem appropriate to change it. However, if it becomes inaccessible every Winter or nearly every Winter, it is probably not a Winter friendly cache anyway?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I never thought about it that way, but if a Winter friendly cache becomes impossible to do because of snow, it would seem appropriate to change it. However, if it becomes inaccessible every Winter or nearly every Winter, it is probably not a Winter friendly cache anyway?
    Last year, it would have been accessable all winter. Also depends on if they plow it under. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but last year, even if they had, we didn't have enough snow to worry about. This year, its accessable with a shovel and some dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Last year, it would have been accessable all winter. Also depends on if they plow it under. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but last year, even if they had, we didn't have enough snow to worry about. This year, its accessable with a shovel and some dynamite.
    Then I see nothing wrong with changing the attribute temporarily, or even temporarily disabling the cache, which many cachers do for caches that are impossible to get to in the Winter. However, impossible is rarely definite, if the cache is still there, someone could shovel and ice pick their way to the cache. So probably just changing the attribute would be sufficient. You could also post a note stating you changed it temporarily and why.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I remember a couple of months ago reading here on the forum about a cache in NH that the cache owner intentionally gave the cord.'s to ove 60 ft wrong to make it harder to find. try that with your shovel.
    HEY!!! I can put one of those in my drive and invite everyone over to get teh FTF on wed. evening. hahaha

You could also post a note stating you changed it temporarily and why.
    Good thought! Will do!