vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Short Cache Logs (Topic moved from 'Early Publication' thread)

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Let's not encourgage one word logs as unfortunately, that seems to be all that a lot of the new cachers can muster. Any newbies reading this, at a minimum show the manners your parents taught you and log a "thank you" to the person that placed the cache you sought out....it's the right thing to do. If you can't manage that, maybe you're in the wrong game because that's the easy and right thing to do!
    I would have prefered a one word log, compared to the one I received yest that was posted on a cache that was not even 24 hours old. Totally blank! Tempted to delete the find, but waiting to hear what others think. I think next time I am near the cache site, I will check the log in the cache to see if it was signed. This is a brand new cacher with 32 finds and out of those, s/he has submitted 30 logs that were blank, one log that had no words but a picture, and the only written log said "Sorry, couldn't sign the log. I forgot my pen." I wrote what I considered to be a gentle note explaining that the logs are how I learn what works and what doesn't and that they bring me a lot of joy to read. Have not heard back yet. Thanks to all that have made the trip down to find my cache series. I really really do appreciate the long logs.

I Split this thread off from the Early publication thread as it is a totally different topic.

IMO, deleting valid logs because of log length or absence of a log is alienating these cachers. If I don't write much in a log, it's either because the cache didn't inspire me to do so or I was just not in a writing mood. If you have one or two short or non-existent logs on your cache the finder probably couldn't think of much to say or just does not care to write. If a lot of the logs on your cache are short more than likely your cache is nothing special. I'm guessing a lot of these blank logs are done by phone. And if your cache is hidden in no way special don't expect the majority of logs to be anything special. And just because you think the cache is special don't expect everyone to feel the same. And you can never expect every log to be long on even the best of caches.

I prefer the longer logs on my caches too, but if they find it, they are allowed to log as long or as short a log as they desire. I'll promote writing longer logs when I can, but I would not require it. I say try your best to give them a reason to write longer logs. Hiding 50 caches 500 feet apart on a boring section of Rt. 218 will not cut it.

I say if we promote better, more memorable caches, on average longer logs have to follow. There will always be short ones.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-21-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

when kevin and I first started we didnt put much on our logs.....in fact.....it wasnt until we came here and started seeing the upset CO complaining about crappy logs that we tried to do a better job at log writing. We can usually find something to note at a cache site and although there have been a few "found on a trip to........ tftc sl" on unremarkable GRC's most of our logs now are bigger and tell about either the cache or our day...heck kev and I even had an argument back and forth on one CO's caches over if we had been to a certian store or not....he hadnt! LOL

It's a game/hobby/sport how ever you look at it. different people play differently. I like longer logs like in a recent case where one cacher told me how he foiled a potiential crime!!! right Dan??? hehe

to each his own i guess! but new cachers just dont know alot of the time.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Out of curiosity, I interrogated my GSAK database to find the caches with more the average longest and shortest cache logs (and more than 5 logs). I do not have all the logs for all the caches, so this is not perfect. My database currently includes 477,449 cache logs. This does not mean they are the best or worst caches, but it should be an indicator as to what caches attract long logs and which do not.

20 caches with the longest logs:
    Centum Challenge (Unknown/Mystery)(Large) (GC27Q59) by Ekidokai (3/1.5)
    Maine’s Alphanumeric Cache Challenge (Unknown/Mystery)(Not chosen) (GC1JJ38) by Northwoods Explorer (4.5/4.5)
    White House Scandal (Unknown/Mystery)(Regular) (GC16PZX) by Cache Maine (4.5/2)
    Maine's DeLorme Challenge (Unknown/Mystery)(Regular) (GCW8N6) by Team Teebow (Team2hunt) (5/5)
    Maine's Adventure Challenge (Unknown/Mystery)(Micro) (GC1VWN8) by Northwoods Explorer (5/5)
    Hell's Gate Falls (Traditional)(Regular) (GC1HB0V) by EvilHomer (3.5/3.5)
    Pulpit Rock (Traditional)(Small) (GC2DX3Q) by eckdon (3/4.5)
    Sounds Easy To Me (Unknown/Mystery)(Regular) (GC1VFWZ) by brdad (3.5/3)
    The Diary of an Evil Man (Multi)(Not chosen) (GC22Q10) by Aldrich Ames (2.5/2.5)
    PINOCCHIO'S CURSE" (Unknown/Mystery)(Regular) (GCZHGY) by hoamdezinahs (5/1.5)
    Molechunkamunk: Cranberry Cove (Multi)(Regular) (GCWEBK) by paddlehikers (2.5/5)
    Snor-Cache (Multi)(Large) (GC1DYCY) by Moosehead gang (4/5)
    Cache Like It's 2001 (Unknown/Mystery)(Regular) (GC146JV) by Sudonim (5/5)
    Punchbowl Treasure (Traditional)(Small) (GC28YT0) by BramborovySalat (3/5)
    Molechunkamunk: Aziscoos Mt. (Traditional)(Regular) (GCXJ2Y) by paddlehikers (1/4)
    Lead Mountain Cache (Traditional)(Regular) (GC16VDH) by Groleau (2/3)
    Kenna's Canoe Adventure (Traditional)(Regular) (GC1DMY3) by Mydogkenna (2.5/4)
    Jim's Last Cache (Traditional)(Regular) (GC1JJHY) by NorthCumberMouth Cachers (2/3.5)
    WEREWOLF! (Traditional)(Small) (GC1QV1H) by Mapachi (2.5/3.5)
    Hothole Pond Cache (Traditional)(Regular) (GC13QYB) by Groleau (2.5/5)

20 caches with the shortest logs:
    Parker Head Brook (Traditional)(Micro) (GC27T4F) by Onestep (1.5/1.5)
    The Dreamland Chronicles: A Webcomic Tribute Cache (Traditional)(Micro) (GC1ZB2J) by NativeMainer (1/1.5)
    richie's headband (Traditional)(Not chosen) (GC2TN8H) by iampaw (2/1.5)
    Bear Hill Road (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2MAZ2) by TeamCaron (1.5/1.5)
    AGR #18, Walch Street Micro (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2E7D1) by SoME (1.5/1.5)
    CAC Rail (Traditional)(Not chosen) (GC2X9HZ) by Acts 2:38 (1.5/1.5)
    box on tarbox (Traditional)(Small) (GC2CTZG) by annideco (1.5/1.5)
    Destroy Da Field DEPOTS (Traditional)(Other) (GC2HGM8) by rogu3 (1/1)
    Old Cove Rail (Traditional)(Not chosen) (GC2X9HN) by Acts 2:38 (1.5/1.5)
    Sprinkler (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2X850) by thesacogirls (1.5/2)
    Going Green (Traditional)(Other) (GC2HA68) by team_barbieri (1/1.5)
    Edwina (Traditional)(Not chosen) (GC2X9J3) by Acts 2:38 (1.5/1.5)
    Building Bridges straight to your heart (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2TN53) by TeamCaron (1.5/1.5)
    Enemy Seagull Landing Strip (totally tye dye #3) (Traditional)(Small) (GC2JR5B) by sushichef and deadliestcache97 (1.5/2.5)
    No Thru Trucks (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2KZJA) by TeamCaron (1.5/1.5)
    The "Not So" London Bridge (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2K3RK) by TeamCaron (1.5/1.5)
    Will you miss me? CITO cache (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2R7WB) by Ms Toastmaster (1/1.5)
    Golden Gate Bridge..... City of Lewiston #11 (Traditional)(Small) (GC2XR57) by have a hart (2/1.5)
    Town Line Lisbon-Lewiston (Traditional)(Other) (GC2R3C1) by Ms Toastmaster (1/1.5)
    Pathfinders (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2QAH2) by TeamCaron (1.5/1.5)

EDIT - To be fair, I'll also include a list of the 20 longest average log cache s with D/T rating of 1.5/1.5 and below
    Portland Freedom Trail (WhereIGo(Micro) (GC1A9Y0) by kayakerinme (1/1)
    Bessies Tale (Traditional)(Micro) (GCW700) by LaughingTerry (1/1.5)
    Bangor Mini Adventure (WhereIGo(Micro) (GC1WCEG) by Cano (1.5/1.5)
    47th Delorme Grid (Traditional)(Small) (GC2J9H4) by MARTES (1/1)
    Remembering Uncle Denny (Traditional)(Small) (GC1BX2R) by edcole (1.5/1.5)
    Cobscook Reversing Falls (Earthcache)(Not chosen) (GC17X1G) by Northwoods Explorer (1/1)
    The Buoys of Round Pond (Traditional)(Small) (GC2KJPE) by megconnell & Patrick.D.Olsen & Ann.C.Stevenson (1.5/1)
    They Mostly Come at Night....Mostly.... (Unknown/Mystery)(Not chosen) (GC2FK45) by SeriousTool™ (1.5/1.5)
    A RHINO IN MAINE ??? (Traditional)(Micro) (GC1D22P) by HD (1.5/1.5)
    Leave it to Beaver (Traditional)(Regular) (GC2MGYQ) by Jimnicol (1.5/1.5)
    Pleasant Hill Mystery (Unknown/Mystery)(Small) (GC2AAF4) by NorthCumberMouth Cachers (1.5/1.5)
    Tidal EarthCache (Earthcache)(Not chosen) (GCCE8D) by TAT (1/1)
    Troll's Treasure (Traditional)(Regular) (GCTVYC) by PrincessPosse (1.5/1.5)
    Ledges (Traditional)(Regular) (GC58DD) by N1ULY & Cricket's_Song (1.5/1.5)
    DON'T FIND THIS CACHE (Traditional)(Micro) (GCTPBV) by hoamdezinahs (1/1)
    Fort Foster PEZ Cache (Traditional)(Regular) (GCD78) by scienceguy (1/1)
    Ronco Cove (Traditional)(Regular) (GC5E49) by K1TJS (1/1)
    Bitten By the (caching) Bug (Traditional)(Not chosen) (GC28FMJ) by SeriousTool (1.5/1.5)
    Theo's Pirate Treasure (Traditional)(Small) (GCMMHT) by tunicate (1.5/1.5)
    Rockport Harbor (Traditional)(Other) (GC3D2) by Philip Brown (1/1)
    Last edited by brdad; 06-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

IMHO that is not something GSAK can tell you.....different caches prompt good logs from different people for different reasons....i might have a page long log on a GRC if something special happened there .

GSAK cant tell you that!
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    IMHO that is not something GSAK can tell you.....different caches prompt good logs from different people for different reasons....i might have a page long log on a GRC if something special happened there .

GSAK cant tell you that!
    I agree, you can have a memorable time at a lousy cache or a lousy time at a memorable cache, but the hider has no way or controlling that. But the hider can control the odds of a memorable time.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I agree, you can have a memorable time at a lousy cache or a lousy time at a memorable cache, but the hider has no way or controlling that. But the hider can control the odds of a memorable time.

I'm sure controversial hides also get some lengthy logs

I think you forgot the "manners" part of the equation. A simple "thanks" is a heck of a lot better then a blank log. I encourage a thanks as part of ALL logs. And our parents taught us, you say thank you for receiving something from a person even if you don't care what was given. Sadly, the trend it away from good manners and that is regrettably being reflected in a lot of the logs all of us are seeing. Brdad is right that there's not a lot that can be said about some common caches, so skip that part and make a comment about the beauty of the area, the pleasure with caching with friends, loved ones, or about the great meal or picnic that was part of your day. To me, this shows general appreciation for the game. I have only deleted one log and it was after trying to reach out to the CO with a very positive comment and then be rebuffed. All we can do is try and get these new cachers to place nice in the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I Split this thread off from the Early publication thread as it is a totally different topic.

IMO, deleting valid logs because of log length or absence of a log is alienating these cachers. If I don't write much in a log, it's either because the cache didn't inspire me to do so or I was just not in a writing mood. If you have one or two short or non-existent logs on your cache the finder probably couldn't think of much to say or just does not care to write. If a lot of the logs on your cache are short more than likely your cache is nothing special. I'm guessing a lot of these blank logs are done by phone. And if your cache is hidden in no way special don't expect the majority of logs to be anything special. And just because you think the cache is special don't expect everyone to feel the same. And you can never expect every log to be long on even the best of caches.

I prefer the longer logs on my caches too, but if they find it, they are allowed to log as long or as short a log as they desire. I'll promote writing longer logs when I can, but I would not require it. I say try your best to give them a reason to write longer logs. Hiding 50 caches 500 feet apart on a boring section of Rt. 218 will not cut it.

I say if we promote better, more memorable caches, on average longer logs have to follow. There will always be short ones.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I think you forgot the "manners" part of the equation. A simple "thanks" is a heck of a lot better then a blank log. I encourage a thanks as part of ALL logs. And our parents taught us, you say thank you for receiving something from a person even if you don't care what was given. Sadly, the trend it away from good manners and that is regrettably being reflected in a lot of the logs all of us are seeing. Brdad is right that there's not a lot that can be said about some common caches, so skip that part and make a comment about the beauty of the area, the pleasure with caching with friends, loved ones, or about the great meal or picnic that was part of your day. To me, this shows general appreciation for the game. I have only deleted one log and it was after trying to reach out to the CO with a very positive comment and then be rebuffed. All we can do is try and get these new cachers to place nice in the sandbox.
    Looks like somebody forgot his manners :P
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...4-6c70356ef858
    Moo

UPDATE: Although I did not hear back directly from the cacher, He logged six more caches since I wrote to him and they all have 2 words. "Found it". Its definately a start!