vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RE: Geocaching 101

Final bump . . .

Last night's presentation went fairly well with eight or so Friends of the Unity Wetlands in attendance and a couple of the new geocachers in the Unity Area (Nially and ShadowGC). The FUW asked quite a few questions and the newbies even picked up a thing or two I think about geocaching.

Tomorrow (Saturday) we will be doing the hands-on portion of the presentation. As a final reminder, I'll be at the UHOP at 11:30 a.m. providing free pizza to anyone who shows up . . . and I must confess I'm looking forward to meeting Pete/Sheeplady and possibly Beach Comber . . . and anyone else who may wander in.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Jake - I'm disappointed to say that I won't be there
    Hope you have a great time!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Just an update . . . thanks to those geocachers who were able to find time in their busy schedule to help me out before going geocaching . . . specifically Nially, Pete490, Sheeplady and Willowprin . . . it was nice to meet you all in person and I truly hope you enjoyed the pizza.

We had five or six muggles go out with us which was (once again) far less than I was led to believe would be going -- I blamed it on the bad weather last time, maybe I could blame it on the good weather this time.

In any case, both Willowprin and Pete490/Sheeplady were able to pick up another cache as we found two local caches.

Perhaps the most exciting thing was that we went out with 5-6 muggles and came back with two new geocachers -- flyingmoose and qajaq_gal -- a friend of our very own Kaching Karen. After finding two of the caches they went over to Dixmont and found another one.

I also reiterated to the FUW and UBR that we would probably be willing to help out with a CITO event or trail building event . . . but of course the main thing is selecting a date that works for folks.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks, firefighterjake, for introducing use to geocaching. It was great to meet some of the folks. I mentioned that I had a kayaking friend in Augusta who geocaches. I was surprised when Sheeplady said - "That's Kaching Karen!". I was even more surprised when I received an email from my friend today saying she'd already heard that flyngmoose and I were with you yesterday.

We picked up our first tb yesterday - it wants to go interesting places. So we are looking for an interesting place to take it. Maybe Canada - it hasn't been there yet. Or maybe an island cache? Or maybe a new cache?

Thanks for getting us hooked!

Jake - as you know 2/3rds of the TGIF group was in Southern Maine with Cache Maine this weekend. We did think of you and actually watched the annotations here and on GC.com via the laptops and wifi at the hotel. It was nice to know things went well and folks came out.

You met some new cachers who come to events and have perhaps converted some others.

Help them with those TBs - you know becket has had trouble (but is getting much better) - and we do have an adventure of TBs to tell you

We appreciate you prompting our sport.

jake, i am so glad that people showed up - i was afraid that no one would. you know that hollora and i would have been there, had it not been for our caching/letterboxing adventure with cameoooooo. i am hoping that the tgif gang gets back caching soonly!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Jake,

It was great to finally meet you in person after working on all the caches you have set out (some we have found, and some we still have to find). I had a great time talking to qajaq_gal and the others on the two caches we found. We ended up finding a total of 15 caches that day as we did the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Some of them we were the second person there. Wouldn't you know it, Gobler was the first at all of them! Let us know if you are planning any more days like this and we will try to make it.

Sheeplady

Quote Originally Posted by qajaq_gal View Post
    Thanks, firefighterjake, for introducing use to geocaching. It was great to meet some of the folks. I mentioned that I had a kayaking friend in Augusta who geocaches. I was surprised when Sheeplady said - "That's Kaching Karen!". I was even more surprised when I received an email from my friend today saying she'd already heard that flyngmoose and I were with you yesterday.

We picked up our first tb yesterday - it wants to go interesting places. So we are looking for an interesting place to take it. Maybe Canada - it hasn't been there yet. Or maybe an island cache? Or maybe a new cache?

Thanks for getting us hooked!
    Just having you and flyngmoose start geocaching made the whole experience worth it . . . glad you guys like it . . . hopefully you'll find this hobby as rewarding as I have.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail, PM or just ask here at geocachingmaine.org . . . there's a lot of good folks here who know a heckuva lot more about geocaching than I ever could hope to know.

P.S. Welcome to geocachingmaine.org!

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post
    Jake,

It was great to finally meet you in person after working on all the caches you have set out (some we have found, and some we still have to find). I had a great time talking to qajaq_gal and the others on the two caches we found. We ended up finding a total of 15 caches that day as we did the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Some of them we were the second person there. Wouldn't you know it, Gobler was the first at all of them! Let us know if you are planning any more days like this and we will try to make it.

Sheeplady
    Thanks again for helping out . . . and I'm sorry that helping me meant getting STF . . . but then again it truly was great pizza, right???

Also, I'll let you guys know if we end up doing a CITO event or work detail at some point . . . both the UBR and FUW mentioned cleaning up Brier's Beach and/or building some bog walks for the Connor Mill Trail.

Default did i miss it

I heard that there was a geocaching101 meeting in Union on the 21st. I was hoping to attend. did you speak? if not is is set yet when/where the training will take place?