vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

Default Just curious

How many listings do you hve in your GPSr right now. Do you clean it out before going out and reload for just the area you are caching or keep everything in the unit "just in case"

I am trying to come up with a method that makes sense for me to use.

matt
    --
    Matt, Michele, Zach & Emma (and Scout)

What I do might not be what others do but here is what I keep in my GPS. I have the Vista so it is able to have 1000 waypoints saved. I use GSAK and in there I have all unfound Maine caches that I keep my database updated at least once a week or more depending on how often I go caching (not much in the last 3 months I hate to admit). In GSAK there is a way to get and use filters so if I know I will not be going caching over 100 miles from my home I will just use those unfound caches within 100 miles of home. You are able to create any number of different filters and then download whatever you have in that particular filter to your GPS. GSAK is where I keep ALL the caches and from there whatever filter I tend to use that particular day will I download to my GPS. It also has the ability to transfer Cachemate PDB files which I use to transfer to my PDA for paperless caching. I'm sure others use other means but for me this is what and how I use it.

I see you got your stat page up Matt, Congrats!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default GSAK too

I travel around New England for work and use GSAK to compile all the caches in the 4 states. Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Vermont. I use a store I am visiting as a center waypoint and list all the caches within 60 or 70 miles. Whatever will fit in my GPS'r. (1000 waypoints) So I am always changing out the waypoints. Deleting the caches and loading in more. Cachemate holds all the caches in those states in 3 databases, so I can easily find what I need. Hope this helps.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I use a store I am visiting as a center waypoint and list all the caches within 60 or 70 miles. Whatever will fit in my GPS'r. (1000 waypoints) So I am always changing out the waypoints.
    With the "X-series" Garmin (X stands for EXPANDABLE - you can add a memory chip), you are NOT restricted to 1,000 waypoints. But you have to add them with Garmin's POI (Points of Interest) Loader. The number of waypoints you can put in your 60csx is limited only by the amount of memory in your SD chip.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmill View Post
    How many listings do you hve in your GPSr right now. Do you clean it out before going out and reload for just the area you are caching or keep everything in the unit "just in case"
    We don't update the GPSr unless we're going on a trip specifically for geocaching. It's better to get rid of the dead/disabled caches and add the new ones so your time is well spent.

Ifwe're just out-and-about in the local area. we don't usually update. If a cache pops up on the screen, we'll grab it.

But actually, trial and error will determine the best method for you.

Thanks for the replies, I guess it gives me a place to start and play to find something that works for us.

matt
    --
    Matt, Michele, Zach & Emma (and Scout)

When I started caching, There was only a little over 100 caches in Maine, so that left several hundered free to put landmarks in my 'Ol Yeller - mountians, lakes, intersevtions, etc., so that if I was at a vantage point and saw a landmark I wanted to verify, I could load that waypoint and make sure where I was.
    Now there's so many caches I can't load everything anyway, but I do have a legend now as well, so I can make any landmark a waypoint using the map on the GPS. I just have to load the caches based on what section of the state I will be caching in.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Don't forget to leave some room to waypoint the car!!

Amen on that TAT - it has saved me in the past!

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Don't forget to leave some room to waypoint the car!!
    ESPECIALLY if you plan to do the Etna Bog cache. You WILL get turned around!

(As a matter of fact, isn't it time to organize an expedition to Etna Bog???)