vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Nice?

Default Too Nice?

Ive been looking into some new watertight clear boxes for my placed caches. I dont mind spending the money to make a cache more enjoyable and longer lasting, however I am worried that if I put out nice watertight boxes, they will get stolen. I also have this dilemma with travelbugs. I have some really cool ideas I just think they wont last long in the wild. I know its a chance I take putting anything out to the public like that. I guess its a toss up of go cheap, do more maintenance, less desirable, not care if it gets stolen, OR pay more, do less maintenance, but get angry that it gets stolen and archive the cache. Maybe I need to find a happy medium. Anyone have the same thoughts or any suggestions?

Default Nice containers

The best available are Pelican's, which you can get at most sites, including from Groundspeak. They are indestrucible, a little pricey but will last forever. I have a dozen out and none have been stolen, broken, cracked or otherwise.

As far as TB's, that's a whole other issue. My personal preference is I'm not putting out anymore. The nice coins are stolen quickly and folks place TB's in cache "jails". Too bad as I put a lot of things in circulation when I first started caching.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I figure if I'm going to go through the time and expense of putting out a cache I will usually try to put out one that will at the very least not require a lot of work on my part (i.e. having to deal with wet logs) . . . but I'm still cheap . . . and so for traditional sized caches it's kind of hard to beat a good ammo box . . . although the Lock N' Locks aren't half bad if you need something a bit smaller.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    Ive been looking into some new watertight clear boxes for my placed caches. I dont mind spending the money to make a cache more enjoyable and longer lasting, however I am worried that if I put out nice watertight boxes, they will get stolen.
    I've never heard of a case of one geocacher stealing another cachers containers. They've been tolen by geomuggles, but I think that cachers will leave them alone.

It's up to you to hide them so that they aren't found by casual passers-by.

LOL!

(But don;t get me started on travel bugs and geocoins that go missing!)

"Cache Jails"? We placed a couple of TB's in a cache in Carrabassett Valley last fall that are still there. Would that be considered a "Cache Jail"? We've been talking about going up there once the weather gets nicer in the Carrabassett Valley area and picking them up to move them to a more populated area to see them on their respective journeys.

Default Cache jails

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    "Cache Jails"? We placed a couple of TB's in a cache in Carrabassett Valley last fall that are still there. Would that be considered a "Cache Jail"? We've been talking about going up there once the weather gets nicer in the Carrabassett Valley area and picking them up to move them to a more populated area to see them on their respective journeys.
    So here's the deal. You place a TB or two in the Fall in the Valley. If it was before the Eustis event, it would likely have been found. After, not likely.

So now it's buried in snow and won't be found again until June or so. Yeah, that's what I call a cache jail. And to answer your question, I have gone back to retrieve TB's that I placed in caches that are rarely visited. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with caches that for whatever reason are rarely sought out, but I try not to place TB's and geocoins in those caches.

One exception, I have a McCain Palin geocoin I recently grabbed and a week from now I'll be in the Caribbean on a cruise. I think that coin needs to go South, to a "red" island. The choices are San Juan, Tortolla, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia, or Grenada. Anybody have a suggestion as to where I place it?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Actually, I picked up that coin and placed in it Dunn's Corner. Too bad that coin isn't who won.

I would vote for Romeo, Romeo in St. Lucia or Fort James on Antigua, but you've already been to both.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So here's the deal. You place a TB or two in the Fall in the Valley. If it was before the Eustis event, it would likely have been found. After, not likely.

So now it's buried in snow and won't be found again until June or so. Yeah, that's what I call a cache jail. And to answer your question, I have gone back to retrieve TB's that I placed in caches that are rarely visited. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with caches that for whatever reason are rarely sought out, but I try not to place TB's and geocoins in those caches.

One exception, I have a McCain Palin geocoin I recently grabbed and a week from now I'll be in the Caribbean on a cruise. I think that coin needs to go South, to a "red" island. The choices are San Juan, Tortolla, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia, or Grenada. Anybody have a suggestion as to where I place it?

Tortolla, or even better, take the ferry out to Virgin Gorda. Heaven on earth. I cannot wait to go back. (after the kids move out, graduate from college, move back in, move back out, get married and have kids )

As for TB's. I do not do coins anymore. I still buy tags and put them out. The worst one travelled 0 miles and never saw the light of day. One went to Mass. Florida, Wales, London, Amsterdam, and all over France before the entire cache it was in went poof. Tags are fun and cheap, and I put them out with the expectation that they will someday disappear.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I have put out a bunch of coins and travel bugs. Most are still traveling around. I don't even think about them much after I send them out until I get a log about them.

I really like finding a coin or travel bug in a cache so I feel obligated to put some out for others to find.

The way I look at it, if I put enough of them out, some might have good adventures and maybe people will get tired of taking them.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.