vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy March 17th Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rydnfree View Post
    Is that homebrew in this glass or store bought?
    The bottles in the back were empty... they had homebrew in em, the glass was guinness.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I'm glad I'm not Irish - I hate Guinness! (I like Scotch, though - the maltier the better - it's in the genes, I guess...)

But I do LOVE corned beef, and we often make our own. Can't compare with the packaged stuff.

Sheesh! I'm always up for a reason to eat and drink! Anyone else want to contribute a national/ethnic holiday so we can party some more? LOL!
    I could drink guinness one right after the other! but the big problem is that I'm actually allergic to the stuff... seriously... every time I drink a lot of it I break out in handcuffs!
    I just made some corned beef and cabbage with some spuds. Yeah... beer and cabbage... I'll probably get getting a warning from the EPA tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    The Irishman reaches in to the glass, grabs the fly between his fingers and shakes him as hard as he can, shouting 'Spit it out, ya bloody bastard! Spit it out!'
    There's a pub where all the salesmen for the different major breweries gather each week, one from budweiser, rolling rock, michelobe, molson, and guinness. They all show up to the bar and each orders the brew of their employers, except for the guinness salesman, he orders a cokes. The other salesmen look at him bewildered, and one asks, "What? You're not going to drink a beer?" and the guinness salesman replied "Nah, if you guys arent drinkin beer, I won't either"
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I have working to wire a new Irish Pub in downtown Bangor over the last few weeks. They opened the doors this very morning for their grand opening. 6 am to be exact. I was there on the corner stool with a black and tan to start the day off right. With a Smithwicks as a follow up, my day was starting fine. I'm headed back down there in a little while if anyone would care to join me.
    Well if it's the one I helped to inspect a week or so ago I hope they got the hood system ducted up correctly . . . when our senior inspector told them what they needed to do to comply with the code I thought the guy was going to break down and start crying . . . of course it could be the other Irish pub right across the way (hmmm . . . it appears as though Irish Pubs are becoming as common as mushrooms, pizza places and Chinese Restaurants. )
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I'm glad I'm not Irish - I hate Guinness! (I like Scotch, though - the maltier the better - it's in the genes, I guess...)

But I do LOVE corned beef, and we often make our own. Can't compare with the packaged stuff.

Sheesh! I'm always up for a reason to eat and drink! Anyone else want to contribute a national/ethnic holiday so we can party some more? LOL!
    I too love the great slab of salted meat . . . how exactly do you make corned beef . . . I would be interested in knowing how to do this.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I too love the great slab of salted meat . . . how exactly do you make corned beef . . . I would be interested in knowing how to do this.
    I think there was an article in the BDN last week on making corned beef. It involves injecting a brine solution into the meat and marinating it for 12-24 hours if memory serves...

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post

I have a recipe that I've used for years.

8 Cups Water
    1 cup Salt
    3 TBLS. Sugar
    1 Clove Garlic (Chopped)
    6 Peppercorns
    4 TBLS. Picking Spice

Mix ingredients together, make sure meat is totally covered (double the recipe to make more brine). Keep meat completely submerged in brine for 36-48 hours at room temperature. Take meat out of brine, rinse and cook or freeze.

To keep meat submerged, I use a dinner plate weighted down with a cup of water floated on top of the crock or pan with the brine.

I've used this primarily on big game, it a big hit a the Fire Station and many of the hunters will do this so we have lots of Boiled Dinners.
    Last edited by Trezurs*-R-*Fun; 03-19-2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: found an error and fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    I have a recipe that I've used for years.

8 Cups Water
    1 cup Salt
    3 TBLS. Sugar
    1 Clove Garlic (Chopped)
    6 Peppercorns
    4 TBLS. Picking Spice

Mix ingredients together, make sure meat is totally covered (double the recipe to make more brine). Keep meat completely submerged in brine for 36-48 hours at room temperature. Take meat out of brine, rinse and cook or freeze.

To keep meat submerged, I use a dinner plate weighted down with a cup of water floated on top of the crock or pan with the brine.

I've used this primarily on big game, it a big hit a the Fire Station and many of the hunters will do this so we have lots of Boiled Dinners.
    room temp for 36 -48 hours?? not refrigerated? When you cook the meat, do you bring the water to a boil and then turn it down and let the meat simmer in it? (or do you use a slow cooker?) and when you cook the meat do you add anything to the water that you're using to cook the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    room temp for 36 -48 hours?? not refrigerated? When you cook the meat, do you bring the water to a boil and then turn it down and let the meat simmer in it? (or do you use a slow cooker?) and when you cook the meat do you add anything to the water that you're using to cook the meat?

I let the brine with the meat sit on the counter for 36-48 hours. As far as cooking the corned meat, cook it like you would a boil dinner. I use my electric Crock Pot and that works super well. Cover the meat and vegetables with water and set the CrockPot on low for all day...

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    I let the brine with the meat sit on the counter for 36-48 hours. As far as cooking the corned meat, cook it like you would a boil dinner. I use my electric Crock Pot and that works super well. Cover the meat and vegetables with water and set the CrockPot on low for all day...

we should have a boiled dinner cache event!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    we should have a boiled dinner cache event!!
    Outdoor event, or indoors with lots of open windows?
    mmmmm....cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Outdoor event, or indoors with lots of open windows?
    mmmmm....cabbage
    we could do it indoors, anyone have any connections at the bangor auditorium?? (and jake you can invite the bangor FD!)