vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know you...

1. What is your name? Dan Dubord
    2. What is your GC name? dubord207
    3. What kind of GPSr do you use?Oregon 550t
    4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr?compass arrow,camera

5. What is your best memory of geocaching? beating gob-ler to a late night FTF
    6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache?Boabab Tree, GC1K15M, Bridgtown Barbados

7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Laughing Terry's cache on the Two Cent Bridge in Waterville ( 5 tries!)
    8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 201
    9. How did you get started in geocaching? Had gps with me while deer hunting, shot deer opening day, bored, was looking for something else to do!
    10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Driving way downeast to hide a cache on Map 46 so I could claim that towards the DeLorme Challenge only to find out that's not how it works. I'll have to drive to Vanceboro later this spring!

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? gob-ler(s),moose, deer, snakes (yech)
    12. What is your favorite earthcache? The Reversing Falls cache near Blue Hill by Northwoods Explorer
    13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Whenever I want or whenever my secretaries kick me out of my office.
    14. Who do you usually geocache with? Di, Nick and Bo, Patrick, Jim Stacey
    15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you?I actually did right after I placed my first cache. Brad, maniac, sent me a nice note suggesting that although I could do it if I wanted, it wasn't usually done.

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 12
    17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Hope they go to "nano" hell when they die! They're thieves and the reason I don't put out trackables anymore!
    18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Only when I'm approaching a milestone.
    19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? My "navigation" skills have improved and although I've always been able to find my way around in the woods, I'm a lot better at it now.
    20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? ToadZGeocoin
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

1. What is your name? Lee
    2. What is your GC name? msteelee
    3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Legend
    4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? That it does not say "recalculating" when I take a wrong turn!
    5. What is your best memory of geocaching? A certain geo-event in Augusta in 2003.
    6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Who's Landing GCJBT4, California
    7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? the original Homeworld GC5625
    8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 30 on 4/2/2007
    9. How did you get started in geocaching? My friend and co-worker, ranman22, showed me his gps, told me about geocaching, and that's all it took
    10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not waypointing the car at Frye Mountain
    11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Moose, deer, hares, turkeys
    12. What is your favorite earthcache? Newspaper Rock Desert Varnish GCZCNM
    13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Saturdays in May
    14. Who do you usually geocache with? Brdad
    15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No, No
    16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 8 days
    17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Not too fondly - where is my Travel Bug, Carter the Cardinal?
    18. Is it all about the numbers for you? At first it was neat passing the milestones. Now, not so much.
    19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? Not to fear being alone in the woods.
    20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Cindy the Cinderblock.
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.

Default Don't usually do these...but....

1. What is your name? Kevin Grant
    2. What is your GC name? JustKev
    3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Oregon 450
    4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Paperless caching.
    5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Caching with my wife - so that would be each cache we've found.
    6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? We haven't travelled far, the Washington County cache is currently our furthest.

7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Laughing Terry's Right in Plain Sight IV. How dare he hide one right in plain sight like that!!!!!
    8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? We found 28 on April 18, 2010.
    9. How did you get started in geocaching? RCWhit showed JustPJ66 and she showed me.
    10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not checking the cache listing to make sure it didn't have an indication that it was missing but not yet archived.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? We've seen tons of animals while out on "combination" trips. We cache while we hunt or hunt while we cache. We've seen all manner of birds, wild animals and other geocachers.
    12. What is your favorite earthcache? Not fond of earthcaches. Haven't done one.
    13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Usually in the summer. No particular time of day.
    14. Who do you usually geocache with? JustPJ66 and her mom tags along occasionally. Used to take Dingo the Geo-Wonder Dog along with us but he is no longer with us. Now we have Nutmeg the Geo-Wonder Dog to ride along with us.
    15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No and No.

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? Four days.
    17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? This is a family forum, do you really want me to answer this?
    18. Is it all about the numbers for you? No. Have only really paid attention to milestones and then just a little.
    19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? Always have spare batteries with you.
    20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Discovering coins and bugs is a low priority with us. We enjoyed being able to discover Mainiac1957's pooches so we got one for our little addition, Nutmeg.

I wanted to clarify and add to a couple of my answers.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail?
    I saw a fisher cat while out trying to find the original Tyler Pond cache. That was pretty cool.

17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items?
    I misunderstood the question initially. I agree with the rest of the group that these are miserable people who ruin the fun of watching your trackable travel around. I just recently had two go missing who had collected lots of miles.

There has been more response to this than I thought there would be. I know people usually hate these types of things but I figured its all caching related and the only people it seems to paint a negative picture on are those that steal trackables, so it wouldnt be too bad. Thanks to those that have responded so far and in advance to anyone else that responds.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

1. What is your name? Tom
    2. What is your GC name? TAT and MainePublisher
    3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Delorme PN60
    4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? The ON button
    5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Monument Peak Geocache
    6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Equilateral Triangle - South (5,722mi)
    7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Chancellor Trail "Ironworks" Cache
    8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 103
    9. How did you get started in geocaching? Heard about it on a kayak building forum
    10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Always going the long way.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? An eagle fishing on Round Lake on the Allagash
    12. What is your favorite earthcache? Diabase Dikes – Schoodic Point, Acadia NP
    13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) When the spirit strikes.
    14. Who do you usually geocache with? Anybody and everybody, especially myself
    15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? Yes. I found a cache, then adopted it. I log all of the events I go to, even my own. Other than that, no.

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? Never kept track.
    17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? I don't think anyone would do such a thing.
    18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Yes, especially the random numbers.
    19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? A lot about Maine
    20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Cindy the Cinder Block
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

1. What is your name? Bruce
    2. What is your GC name? WhereRWe?
    3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin 60CSX
    4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Autorouting
    5. What is your best memory of geocaching? The beautiful places we've discovered
    6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? 5059 miles (GCQV5H)
    7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Old 470 (GCAE12)
    Finally found this one on the fifth visit - with a little help from a friend.
    8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 26
    9. How did you get started in geocaching? While vacationing in Ontario in 2003, heard a feature on the radio about geocaching. Sounded interesting so we bought a GPSr and have been caching ever since.
    10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Mistake???
    11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Mongooses (Mongeese?)
    12. What is your favorite earthcache? See #6 above
    13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Summer mornings
    14. Who do you usually geocache with? RULost2?
    15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? Events only
    16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 12
    17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Thieves
    18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Nope
    19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? It takes all kinds...
    20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered?
    The tattoo on BigPapi122565's leg.

According to Meriam-Webster mongooses or mongeese is correct!

1. What is your name? Depends on who is asking . . . my parents and the FBI rap sheets call me Jason . . . my friends and co-workers call me Jake . . . my wife calls me many other names, but none of these should be repeated here.

2. What is your GC name? Firefighterjake

3. What kind of GPSr do you use? I usually tag along with Aaron or Brad so they can use their Oregon . . . which then guarantees that we will find the cache without wandering around aimlessly for 2-3 hours . . . otherwise I use my Magellan Explorist 210

4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? The fact that the numbskulls who made my Magellan have the battery connections mixed up so the springy deal that normally fits against the negative side of the battery fits up against the positive side.

5. What is your best memory of geocaching? I barely remember what I had for dinner last night . . . and you're asking me to remember geocaching events. I guess I have to say I enjoyed many of the Tread Lightly events/adventures . . . the Fitz Cache would be a close second.

6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Nevada I think . . . or maybe it was in the Carribean . . . not sure which is farther . . . I think Nevaada is.

7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? I have a Magellan . . . finding every cache is a challenge for me. Heck, finding my way back to the car can be a challenge.

8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? A lot . . . did Eki's cache series with some friends.

9. How did you get started in geocaching? Got lost while ATVing and resolved to never get lost again . . . thankfully we were able to trade some extra gas we had with another lost group for some extra sandwiches they had . . . bought a GPSr for the ATV and needed to justify the expense so I started geocaching as a side hobby.

10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not realizing I could use the compass and tried to line up the coord numbers to find the cache which resulted in me going backwards and frontwards and sidewards like a drunken line dancer in my first few attempts to find caches . . . runner up would be not realizing that rest stops along main roads are not just used by geocachers to place caches.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Hiram

12. What is your favorite earthcache? Not sure

13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Spring-Fall . . . winter time is my snowmobile season

14. Who do you usually geocache with? Hiram and Brad and whatever other folks I can find . . . or by myself

15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? That's crazy talk

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? Not sure . . . it's never been about the numbers for me

17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Never saw the appeal in collecting coins, TBs, etc. never did anything for me.

18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Never has been. Never will

19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? That Hiram has a butterfly tattoo on his left . . . . Heh, heh . . . I don't know . . . that geocaching is just a game . . . and some folks forget this simple fact.

20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Never really been into the whole coin or TB thing.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Nice!

Actually, this is one of the best threads I've seen in a while! I hope the rersponses continue as I for one find the answers very interesting and entertaining. I just hope that there's another cacher here that logged one of his/her own caches during the newbie period like I did!

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    There has been more response to this than I thought there would be. I know people usually hate these types of things but I figured its all caching related and the only people it seems to paint a negative picture on are those that steal trackables, so it wouldnt be too bad. Thanks to those that have responded so far and in advance to anyone else that responds.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.