vb:literal>

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Rant: Travel Bug Goals

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    So we try and give as many TB's as possible "one last jump" before they get snowed in...
    And thanks for those efforts - up in your country - snow can be deep. There is nothing worse than a snowed/frozen in cache. And that is like a morgue for a TB once they become entombed.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    . . . And that is like a morgue for a TB once they become entombed.
    Nah, not a morgue . . . more like cryogenic freezing . . . we're just putting 'em on ice for a bit until it gets warmer and we can revive 'em . . . make them stronger, faster, gentlemen we can rebuild them . . . just like Walt Disney.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Another SAD TB story

I can understand a cache being "Muggled" or even "Blown up by the Bomb Squad" but...I have just spent the last 1/2 hour reading past posts on this subject...I did not realize there may be an epidemic starting...Are we all getting senile that we pick up TB's and such...then forget we have them? A quick look at your Profile lists all TB's logged in your possession. I am not trying to be mean but if the shoe fits...
    I have/had a TB," Gordon the BOXCAR-HOBO"
    TB1CY12 that was last seen in the hands of one of Geocaching Maine's members..."Cachesclays". Here is his log as to his find...Notice the date of pickup. 9/30/2007 cachesclays retrieved it from Brady Bunch #8 - Cindy Maine [visit log]
    Found this with Cindy and will be moving it along in a bit I hope to help Gordon out a bit. Cachesclays.
    > I don't know if there is anything anyone can do to help retrieve it.
    > I have e-mailed him several times and received no responses. He used to sign on with AIM as "anmato" , but after I questioned him via Instant Message, he no longer signs on.
    > We don't know what goes on in another's personal life...but if another member knows him personally...maybe something "new" can come to light and maybe a solution can be found.
    > Please feel free to e-mail me with any news or constructive comments you may have.
    > Seeking other possible solutions...,
    > fsquire the Boxcar-Hobo

He might be a member of GM but like many members we have here they will join and then that is the last we see or hear from him or her. That's the price one pays for owning a TB or coin. It's just a matter of time before it gets lost or muggled. Myself I don't know this particular person but I see from his profile he does frequent GC.com as his last visit was just recently. As you can see from the members list,he joined here on the 6th and his last visitwas on the 8th. There are many members who join to check us out and that is the last time we hear from them. Don't give up hope though as I have heard of many TB's suddenly appearing after being out of commission for many months. Sorry can't be of more help but maybe someone in here does know him.

And who are you referring to when you say this " A quick look at your Profile lists all TB's logged in your possession" ?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by fsquire View Post
    Are we all getting senile that we pick up TB's and such...then forget we have them? I don't know if there is anything anyone can do to help retrieve it.

I have e-mailed him several times and received no responses.
    Unfortunately this all too common and TB's go missing all the time for whatever reason. We all get attached to TB's and geocoins and it is aggravating when they go MIA. I think the best thing you can do is email the last person who supposedly had their hands on it and start from there. I too have emailed geocachers in the past to find out if my TB is still in their possession and more often than not they do not respond back. I take that to mean that they have lost it. (Especially if they are still actively geocaching)
    As hard as you may have to bite your lip try and be gentle...Ask them politely if they could move your TB along or if they have gotten out of geocaching altogether, ask them if they might be able to mail it to you so that you can keep it circulating. At the end of your email just say something like...."If you no longer have my TB and you have no idea where it is please just tell me so. I would rather know that than keep wondering why you don't respond.

Believe you me...I have been through this scenario more than once..and the pain does subside....
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Don't give up hope though as I have heard of many TB's suddenly appearing after being out of commission for many months.
    Yup - gotta agree here. In fact, several of my missing TB's have shown up in caches recently - far from where they were last logged.

Who knows?

[quote=Foxgloves;38020] try and be gentle...Ask them politely if they could move your TB along or if they have gotten out of geocaching altogether, ask them if they might be able to mail it to you so that you can keep it circulating. At the end of your email just say something like...."If you no longer have my TB and you have no idea where it is please just tell me so. I would rather know that than keep wondering why you don't respond. [/quote]

Nicely said!

Yes, nicely said.

In 2006 I picked up some bugs, and I saw they were in my inventory but I had no idea where they were. I thought they fell out of my pack or something. I emailed the owners that the bugs are missing and I'll continue to look for them. Some owners replied back and said not to worry they might show up if they fell out near a cache. Then after the long winter I put on my lighter jacket and there are those bugs I lost. So, don't give up hope...they may show up sooner or later.

However state or regional caching boards like here are great for TB rescues from caches. I had one bug sitting in a cache for 5 months(the last visitor dropped it off and no one has visited since). I emailed the owner of the cache and no reply. Then, I asked a board out in SoCal if someone could visit the cache and retieve the TB. Sure enough within a week someone resuced the bug and it is now moving again.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by teamdozer12 View Post
    OK, well to add to this rant..... A fellow cacher has had my daughter's TB since April!!!! She has been very dissappointed as she loved watching it travel around! I waited about six weeks to email the cacher, (I thought that was more than reasonable) HE NEVER RESPONDED! I waited another month...same thing...and another month same thing! Each time I have been nice asking him to please move this bug on, because it is my 8 year old daughters.....NOTHING! I hate when cachers who don't go out caching often take these TB's and don't place them in a resonable amount of time. If you would of asked me how I felt about it a couple of months ago, I was patient to say the least! NOW, 4 months later, I AM JUST PEEVED!

Bottom line don't take a trackable if you cannot move it on! I don't take them anymore, just because of the reponsibility and I feel guilty if I have one for more than a week. The only time I take one now, is if I can help it along with it's goal. Like last month I grabbed a TB in a cache and it wanted to visit each state. NH was not checked off, so I took it and moved it to NH on our camping trip!

As far as emails of thanks, I can honestly say that I have gotten quite a few of thanks. Maybe I have just been lucky so far and I have had the luck of having TB's with owners that have ethics and morals. LOL! I myself try to email some one when a TB of mine moves on. However, I only own 2 in circulation. One that has been stuck in a cache for a while and the other that has been stuck in some cacher's backpack since April being held hostage! So I haven't had much luck with our bugs moving on that often.

Anyhow, there is my rant!!
    If I knew who the fellow cacher was I might approach him/her and see what was happening or offer to move it for him/her...

I think maybe a seperate post or a quick find link on the homepage of the names of people who have held onto TB's and Geocoins for over a month is in order...

Some may see there name on the list and correct the problem and get their name off the list or it may enable other Cachers who may be familiar with the cacher, a chance to get them moving again...

Just a Thought...
    Last edited by fsquire; 03-03-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: further though...

yea, send them to the principal's office!