vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping season

Default Trapping season

Just wanted to pass this along to everyone in case you are not aware that this is trapping season. I was up visiting Number Seven this morning and had let my dog Tiny out to do his thing. I was watching him from the window when he disappeared out behind the house, I went to the door and called for him, but he didn't come. Number Seven ended up coming outside to help and he said he could hear him crying way up back. We jumped into the truck, raced up back to find Tiny caught by the front foot in a #4 fox trap. It was all Don could do to release the springs while I held the dog. We thought for sure his leg would be broken, he's a little dog 12 lbs, but thankfully he's O.K. Home resting on the couch.

The trap had been placed with permission, and I was aware that it was out back somewhere, although I didn't realize it was that close to the house. There was a slight breeze and the scent must have drifted down across the field, which is a couple hundred yards long, and Tiny must have thought it smelt good. This is just what a trap is suppose to do, attract animals to the scent.

In conclusion, let me just say keep your dogs on a leash if you are going to be out in the woods. I'm not sure how long trapping season runs these days, and in some places there is still one week of muzzle loading season left. Be careful

thans for the heads up as we just adopted two labs and both like going on hikes.

Wow! That is too bad. I hope all comes out alright. I have used those traps around my place before to get the ground hogs. They are pretty powerful.

I use a live trap now and I get all kinds of things in it. The smelly ones are the real challenge.

Tiny, get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Just wanted to pass this along to everyone in case you are not aware that this is trapping season. I was up visiting Number Seven this morning and had let my dog Tiny out to do his thing. I was watching him from the window when he disappeared out behind the house, I went to the door and called for him, but he didn't come. Number Seven ended up coming outside to help and he said he could hear him crying way up back. We jumped into the truck, raced up back to find Tiny caught by the front foot in a #4 fox trap. It was all Don could do to release the springs while I held the dog. We thought for sure his leg would be broken, he's a little dog 12 lbs, but thankfully he's O.K. Home resting on the couch.

The trap had been placed with permission, and I was aware that it was out back somewhere, although I didn't realize it was that close to the house. There was a slight breeze and the scent must have drifted down across the field, which is a couple hundred yards long, and Tiny must have thought it smelt good. This is just what a trap is suppose to do, attract animals to the scent.

In conclusion, let me just say keep your dogs on a leash if you are going to be out in the woods. I'm not sure how long trapping season runs these days, and in some places there is still one week of muzzle loading season left. Be careful
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Glad to hear the lil' guys OK. Thanx for the reminder.
    Opalsns

The smelly ones - if it is a skunk - once it's in the trap - cover it (the trap with like a sheet) before you lift it up. If they can't see you they won't spray and if they don't have their feet firmly planted they won't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Wow! That is too bad. I hope all comes out alright. I have used those traps around my place before to get the ground hogs. They are pretty powerful.

I use a live trap now and I get all kinds of things in it. The smelly ones are the real challenge.

Tiny, get well soon.

Vic - sorry to hear about Tiny. Hope everyting is ok. Scary indeed. Trapping seasons vary but all game laws are available on the state Maine.gov web site.

I'm so glad Tiny is okay. That sounds like about the worst morning I could imagine.

Please tell me, though, that we're talking about Havahart cages and not the steel-jaw traps that force animals to chew their leg off in an attempt to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    The smelly ones - if it is a skunk - once it's in the trap - cover it (the trap with like a sheet) before you lift it up. If they can't see you they won't spray and if they don't have their feet firmly planted they won't either.
    I've also been told that if the skunk can't fully raise it's tail, it can't spray.

Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Strangely enough, a couple of years ago I live-trapped a possum in my back yard. In Maine, even! LOL! Haven't seen one since, though.

Default Possum

How'd you cook it? Di and I stir fried a possum and it was chewy, like raccoon.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've also been told that if the skunk can't fully raise it's tail, it can't spray.

Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Strangely enough, a couple of years ago I live-trapped a possum in my back yard. In Maine, even! LOL! Haven't seen one since, though.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Trapping

Trapping is an age old Maine tradition that seems to cause more controversy then any other type of fish and game issue in Maine. Unfortunately, the trap in question is a leg-hold trap. I asked a trapper why they don't use Havaharts and the answer is that a trapped animal in such a cage will likely hurt itself, and it's coat (pelt) which is what trapping is all about. I don't trap and don't think I could but it's a source of income for many. The reputable trappers are very careful where they place the traps and they're supposed to check the traps daily.

Other then that, it's hard to argue with the many folks who find trapping to be a cruel way to make a living but it's still allowed by law in our state. As bad as leg hold traps might seem, traps for coyotes are far more deadly. I released a rabbit hunter's beagle from one of those traps last winter while snowshoeing. The beagle was only in the trap a few minutes when I got there but those traps catch the animal by it's head and neck. Not pretty to see or to read about in this post but something anybody that ventures into the woods with dogs should understand. Coyote trapping is very popular. If you see a sign that warns "Active Predator Trapping Area", stay clear with your dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    I'm so glad Tiny is okay. That sounds like about the worst morning I could imagine.

Please tell me, though, that we're talking about Havahart cages and not the steel-jaw traps that force animals to chew their leg off in an attempt to escape.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.