vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I Did The Wrong Thing, But...

Some people just don't write logs. If they logged a find, it probably is; if you doubt it, check the log in the cache. I logged 3 caches Saturday with no text, just a smiley. That's all the value they had to me was the smiley - they added to my numbers, that's all. One I think should not have been placed. Someone else may get more out of the same caches, if they do they should write more.

I'm all for promoting good logs but I also don' think it's right to delete a found log just because they didn't write much. They either didn't get much out of the cache worth writing about or they are just not writers. Some may not be very computer literate or disabled making writing much difficult.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

It could be possilble that the person did write something in the logbook and just did not log anything on line. Did it get logged on his phone by any chance and more difficult to write? If you aren't interested in the numbers I suppose people could just cache, and probably do, and don't even log them online at all. I don't delete anyones logs if they don't write alot on the log. If they found it, and logged it in, then its ok. I am well aware that there are still some people out there that are not comfortable with computers and it does take a fair amount of time to logs, and time is precious if you are caching with family and children in your life. In a perfect world we would all write praises of thanks for caches.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

I think it depends on the cache owner. Everybody feels differently about caching and the importance of it. To me, it is supposed to be a fun sport, about the fun, the hunt, the find. You found part of the cache, you didn't have a replacement, but you at least let the owner know there was a problem with the cache. Some people don't tell the cache owner. I once had a couple DNF's on a nano cache of mine. I went to check on it and found 3 nanos, all in different places! It's amazing what people will do for a find. I allow a find on any of my caches that part of a cache was found, and I even allow a find when the cacher makes the find of the hide and there is no cache. It's not their fault that the cache has been muggled. They went to the site and made the discovery that the cache was gone. I'm all about the fun of the sport and will never question a log or find.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I just sent a note to "acamden1" a new cacher with 20 finds. Logs a find, posts nothing whatsoever. My note was positive but with out a little more and an indication that the cache was found, I'll probably delete the supposed find. What does the gang feel about that? I hope I get a positive find from the cacher, by the way.
    they may be like me, last spring a friend of the better half told us about the game, ( he should have said addiction) but did not say anything about logging find's. I have just picked it up on my own as I have went along for the past year. I have also learned quite a bit about what is expected in a log, when looking and other things from the forums here. You might want to invite the new cacher's to "check out GEOCHINGMAINE.ORG and then they will figure out proper way's to do things without having to delete their logs or make them feel like they are doing something wrong. not saying that is what happened but some people can take it that wayand may leave the addiction before they are fully hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I claim finds on caches I don't sign. Frozen in place, wet logs, full logs etc. I can sleep at night knowing I had a great day caching! It's just a game folks, with little real repercussions from breaking the rules when it comes to logging caches.
    What if what you are looking at is not a/the cache, but something else? You may have found trash or an archived cache by mistake. Some caches even have dummy caches scattered around the real cache.

Granted, many caches now are unidentifiable anyway. People used to put the names of caches on the logbook or container, that is not so common anymore. Many people who logged caches on the alien highway didn't really log the actual caches they thought they were logging.

It is just a game, and I am not critiquing you personally, but I think there is a certain level of honor even in a game. People may play their own way, but they should also respect the way the hider expects you to play as well.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It is just a game, and I am not critiquing you personally, but I think there is a certain level of honor even in a game. People may play their own way, but they should also respect the way the hider expects you to play as well.
    If there's a reason you can't sign a log, I see nothing wrong with logging the cache anyway. I remember one case where the cache was a glass 1-quart mayo jar with a metal lid. Rusted shut. You could see everything in the cache, but couldn't get it open without breaking the jar. I don't think that's what the cache owner expected. LOL!

I'd give more leeway in that case, Bruce. I'd imagine the hider's intention was not to make it a challenge for you to open the cache, and you were assured it was the cache. I would however, take pictures if I could not find a way to scratch my name on the cover!

However - myself - I would have gotten it open!
    Last edited by brdad; 04-11-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

This is what I expect for an effort to sign my caches!

August 11, 2008 by law1646 (324 found)

Even with the additional clues it took awhile to find the cache. The GPS jumped around wildly. Not sure if the transmission lines effect the signal. Once the GPS settled down the cache was about 30 feet from the coords.

Happy to find the cache at last, only to find no writing implement in the cache and of course I forgot to bring one. We signed the log with charcoal from the parts of the burned wreck and a sea gull feather pen dipped in blackberry juice. They seemed to work well.

Despite the difficulty in locating we managed to pick enough blackberries for a couple of pies. We probably could have also picked that many blueberries but were focused on blackberry pie.

Thanks for the cache. Left a couple of pieces of swag for the next to find. Took nothing.

Law1646 & MaineSweetPea

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'd give more leeway in that case, Bruce. I'd imagine the hider's intention was not to make it a challenge for you to open the cache, and you were assured it was the cache. I would however, take pictures if I could not find a way to scratch my name on the cover!

However - myself - I would have gotten it open!
    This after WhereRWe stated the only way to open it would be to break it. Are you saying you'd break the jar?

Last edited by JustKev; 04-11-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fix

Ah Dave? They wrote NOTHING! But their response to my positive note was to say a little something about their find, something more folks should do if they have the imagination. I still say it's not good etiquette to not at least thanks the CO for placing the cache...even the "lame" caches. By the way, the cache was my Schooners R Us cache on the water at Camden Harbor. Most folks respond favorably just due to the scenic beauty of the area.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.