vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WayPoints

Default WayPoints

I noticed some geocachers rather spend half an hour explaining how to get there instead of just posting waypoints to the cache (reference points, parking, what ever...) These waypoints are displayed on my GPS and it is my GPS's job how to get there. I realized it might be difficult to get the coordinates from the map. I was using google Earth for that reason, but it sucks. So I created this online tool using google maps: http://wp.cano.sk/ just click on the map and it will display the coordinates you can copy/paste.
    Moo

Thanks Cano - that is very cool!

Mapsource and Delorme Topo programs will also give you coordinates w/just a click.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Default I must be missing something

I noticed some geocachers rather spend half an hour explaining how to get there instead of just posting waypoints to the cache (reference points, parking, what ever...) These waypoints are displayed on my GPS and it is my GPS's job how to get there. I realized it might be difficult to get the coordinates from the map. I was using google Earth for that reason, but it sucks. So I created this online tool using google maps: http://wp.cano.sk/ just click on the map and it will display the coordinates you can copy/paste.
    Every cache page has the coordinates for the cache right at the top and they are downloaded with every pocket query.

What is your application supposed to do. When I click on the map it gives me coordinates for some obscure place off the map I am on. How is it supposed to work?

A house is not a home without a cat.

You can add additional way points to the cache listing like parking or trail head or another reference points to help geocachers to get to your cache. These way points are downloaded with PQ and are displayed on your GPS. You can use my app to get coordinates of place using satellite maps if you didn't take them while you were there. I made this app since geocaching.com does not supply anything to edit your way points comfort way. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    Mapsource and Delorme Topo programs will also give you coordinates w/just a click.
    Yes, but it's not free, is it?
    Moo

You can use my app to get coordinates of place using satellite maps if you didn't take them while you were there. I made this app since geocaching.com does not supply anything to edit your way points comfort way. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I still don't get it. I go to your link and click on the junction of I85 and rt2 and it gives me coordinates

44.780129,-68.727036
    N44°46.808',W68°43.622'

These are about 2.5 miles east of where I clicked.

Good quick idea if the coords are correct (I didn't verify), and if the cursor could be something besides that hand.

I use USAPhotomaps for obtaining coords as a rule. It is free, but you do have to download the maps (Again, free) as you go. It also supports GPX files and can download GPS tracks and has GPS waypoint upload/download etc.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I see I had a typo that is I95 and rt 2

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Good quick idea if the coords are correct (I didn't verify), and if the cursor could be something besides that hand.

I use USAPhotomaps for obtaining coords as a rule. It is free, but you do have to download the maps (Again, free) as you go. It also supports GPX files and can download GPS tracks and has GPS waypoint upload/download etc.
    Coords are as correct as they could be with google maps. I also checked with Microsoft maps. I changed cursor to crosshair.
    Moo