vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a thought about the whole bites the dust issue

Default I had a thought about the whole bites the dust issue

But someone locked the thread!

Anyway, what happens if a cacher passes away? What happens to their caches? What if the owner of that cache in question died and no one here knows about it? How does Groundspeak deal with that? So if you have a cacher who hasnt logged in for the last 3-5 years and they cant be contacted, (abducted by aliens, dead, living in Kabul Afganistan, etc) then why not treat it like they would if someone passed away? I say allow interested parties to "ADOPT" said cache after the publisher types have attempted one last contact with no luck. I would say that it would be up to the local Publisher to make this decision.

Where the hell is that thing?

Default Right to a T, but not with Groundspeak!

Evil hit it right on head. First their needs to be a simple process by which the Maine publisher can say "The cache placer is gone, dead, personna non grata. whatever, therefore who wants to take it over?" It really should be that easy, after all we're not taking their home or their kids or their bass boat! If I go then I hereby direct the Maine Publisher to put my caches up for adoption within 20 minutes of my demise!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

What about Nick ,Bo and the beer?
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

The only problem is:

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

So you make sure someone you trust has your log in information and uses it promptly right after your demise.

Sounds like a plan!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    So you make sure someone you trust has your log in information and uses it promptly right after your demise.

Sounds like a plan!
    You got it baby - that works! My kids both know my log in!! They can adopt them or let them be adopted or archive them.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    But someone locked the thread!

Anyway, what happens if a cacher passes away? What happens to their caches? What if the owner of that cache in question died and no one here knows about it? How does Groundspeak deal with that? So if you have a cacher who hasnt logged in for the last 3-5 years and they cant be contacted, (abducted by aliens, dead, living in Kabul Afganistan, etc) then why not treat it like they would if someone passed away? I say allow interested parties to "ADOPT" said cache after the publisher types have attempted one last contact with no luck. I would say that it would be up to the local Publisher to make this decision.

I locked the thread because it was wayyyyy off topic... And it was mine to lock if I so desired and I did....And there are guidelines to follow but if there is enough passion and interest to change them then I suggest you talk with TPTB in changing the guidelines to suit your needs. I too don't agree with the rules the way they stand but they are made to change if there is enough interest to do so.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

heh, a last will & testement.... for geocaches...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

"TPTB" Haffy - yes, I do not know - what is it?

"The powers to be" as in Groundspeak or to put it politely, Jeremy Irish head chief and honcho
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.