vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: kid friendly?

Bubbles are great in caches where there is routine owner maintenance. Lacking the knowledge of whether that may happen they probably are not great swag.

Cache Maine and I came across a two caches recently which had gone through the winter with bubbles inside and no owner maintenance after the thaw. What a mess! Fortunately we had supplies, could clean them out and get them all set to go again.

Recently took a 10 year old caching - her greatest find and "All for a Dollar" was a real Gold dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Bubbles are great in caches where there is routine owner maintenance. Lacking the knowledge of whether that may happen they probably are not great swag.

Cache Maine and I came across a two caches recently which had gone through the winter with bubbles inside and no owner maintenance after the thaw. What a mess! Fortunately we had supplies, could clean them out and get them all set to go again.

Recently took a 10 year old caching - her greatest find and "All for a Dollar" was a real Gold dollar.
    My cache is on my land so I get to check it all the time. I would never put bubbles in someone elses cache!

Yes, I know. Your cache is a fun one and close for maintenance. A few of mine too.

Folks see bubbles in caches so don't think beyond the, bubbles are ok piece. Especially new folks, who may not realize the cache they encountered was actually on your land and the cache owner placed them in there.

Doesn't matter to me - just a mess when you encounter the aftermath after a winter. Just thought I would mention it.

Also, other cache finders don't necessarily know you are close to the cache and maintain it regularly. If I think a cache item will cause a problem with a cache, I will often remove it, whether it's bubbles, soap, scented candles, air fresheners, or food.

You can't expect cachers to know how you maintain your cache, and it is good practice for them to help ensure it remains in good shape by removing potentially damaging contents.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

One of the caches published this week in the Groundspeak weekly notification had a cache where the new owner said it was stocked with scented candles so it isn't always visitors to a cache. I didn't learn not to do this for my first month of caching last June until someone mentioned in a forum. I guess regular reminders are needed as a lot of new cachers start every week. By the way, our local paper did a small article on Geocaching this week and talked about my wife and I placing our new cache. The reporter never personally asked us any questions so any inaccuracies about caching were his speculation from looking it up on the internet. He didn't do a bad job with the generalities though.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    One of the caches published this week in the Groundspeak weekly notification had a cache where the new owner said it was stocked with scented candles so it isn't always visitors to a cache. I didn't learn not to do this for my first month of caching last June until someone mentioned in a forum. I guess regular reminders are needed as a lot of new cachers start every week. By the way, our local paper did a small article on Geocaching this week and talked about my wife and I placing our new cache. The reporter never personally asked us any questions so any inaccuracies about caching were his speculation from looking it up on the internet. He didn't do a bad job with the generalities though.
    It would be neat if someone created an article for the site with the good/bad/maybe stuff to leave in caches, whether as a cache placer or finder.

Is there a a link to the article?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    The reporter never personally asked us any questions so any inaccuracies about caching were his speculation from looking it up on the internet.
    Sadly, this happens all too often when reporters write stories about geocaching. And all too often, when they do interview a geocacher, it's someone with no experience! LOL!

Our local paper probably has the same dial up that I have and as of today they haven't changed their website from the paper of two weeks ago. It is the Advertiser Democrat in Norway. I don't think they ever put the whole paper online so I probably will never be able to provide a link.

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    As we head out caching we have found that the caches are getting few between for the kids to enjoy. As I pull into a guardrail I hear one of our kids ask "is this a kid one? I want a kid one!". I enjoy doing all caches, for the most part they are atleast unique but what about some that are for the kids to enjoy? Now i have be thinking of placing some new caches that are really out there for the kids, maybe some large caches, because i know how excited they get looking through the swag. So how about creating a kid friendly type challenge for placing some caches they will enjoy.
    One of the reasons I have tried to shy away from placing micro caches is that I figure one of the big draws for kids (and even some adults -- you should see Hiram pawing through an ammo can) is the chance to find some "treasure" while on the hunt . . . plus not to get into the whole micro vs. macro debate, but I've always thought that anyone can make a challenging micro hide, but it takes some real skills and thinking outside of the box to make a challenging macro hide (and yes BrDad you are my inspiration!)

That said, one of my favorite cache series that I think would be very appealing to children is in fact in film canisters . . . and they're hidden in the woods (usually a combination that I detest) . . . but these are pretty clever . . . EMSDanel's Geo Zoo . . . trust me . . . they are worth the trip to Orrington.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! "Kid friendly"? Even some of us "big kids" enjoy pawing through a box of swag! (It's even getting hard to find a container big enough to get a TB tag into!)
    HehHeh . . . I have to admit . . . I still look in them as well because you never know what you might find. Every once in a blue moon I find something that strikes my fancy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."