vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody want to talk about geocaching???

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    If you have your i-phone or android then you already have a cache capable GPS. That is one way to get a cache.
    How accurate is the android at finding a cache, has anyone tried it on there android?
    Blazing Troll

My buddy GeoSkeffs and I go caching and he uses his droid sometimes and it puts him at the same spot as my PN-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    My buddy GeoSkeffs and I go caching and he uses his droid sometimes and it puts him at the same spot as my PN-40.
    Do you know what program he uses on his droid?
    Blazing Troll

we use our android and we got the app from geocaching.com. Well worth the 10 bucks and work really good. you can also log your find from the app
    geocaching groundspeak project is the app

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    If you have your i-phone or android then you already have a cache capable GPS. That is one way to get a cache.
    I will have it with me, however I believe their mobile systems are GSM. My Android is on Verizon, so I've already arranged for a SIM card for my international phone. You're right Brad, with a little creativity, I can cache. Although I'm not too keen on smart phone caching which I've mentioned in the past. Not to mention the roaming rates...... I once turned on my smart phone by accident while in Korea which uses CDMA technology and about 5 days worth of emails downloaded. It added about $8 to the monthly bill.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Skeff uses c:geo which is a free app. He says it is better than the GC app.

Default Well, I'll tell ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    How accurate is the android at finding a cache, has anyone tried it on there android?
    I've tried c:geo right after I got the phone. And granted while I may not have given it a fair shake, I just didn't care for it. It seemed to jump around a lot, was inaccurate....I plain didn't like it. That said there are others who have started geocaching with the smartphone and are having fun. Would I pay for the app? Probably not when I already have/enjoy/use my Garmin. And knowing what I know about caching, I would recommend to a new cacher to invest in a GPSr. However, smart phone caching is great for paperless caching which I readily agree with. One pet peeve.....caches placed by new cachers using smart phone technology.....they don't seem to have a good track record of accurate coords. But then there are some that do.

As I've mentioned in the past, I continue to cache using my topo map and compass . Numbers build slowly, but it's a lot of fun.

Hope others post results as there are far more people that are more knowledgeable than I on this subject.
    Last edited by pm28570; 02-10-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Additional comments
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I personally would not use a smartphone. I won't even own one. I do have a cell phone but I opted for the military grade Motorola Quantim. I like using my phone for a phone and my GPSr for finding and placing caches. I am not sure if the smartphones will average a waypoint but I think that is key to good cache placement.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Android is an operating system and has nothing to do with finding a cache. However if you want to know how accurate is a Qualcomm chipset used in most smartphones running on Android then I found all of my 1000 caches using it. I was also one of the few who won accuracy contest at Celebrate 10 years of caching in Maine contest. It doesn't work very well under tree cover and doesn't work at all under water. Any more questions about accuracy of GPS smartphones?
    Moo

Wink It worked for me today.

I needed a cache today for the cache a day challenge and I found one using my phone and C:geo. I still prefer my Oregon, but this will work in a pinch.
    Happy Trails!