vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Off Road Tech Thread

Default Off Road Tech Thread

So since we have this nice fancy forum now I figured I would start a thread about things that can be done to a vehicle to make it more Off Road Worthy! And so to start it off... a website that I've been gawking at for the last hour that I felt I just had to share with someone...

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Expensive Hobby :-)

Well, just dropped a "G" at Summitt Racing! Here's what's on the way: Dynomax Blackjack headers, Catco high-flow cat, Dynomax cat-back exhaust system, 1" TB spacer (will bore TB to 60mm to match), 20 McGuard "Tough Nuts" lug nuts for new Alcoa forged aluminum wheels due in tomorrow, Surco roof rack with Hi-Lift jack and spare tire mounts. Got my Mopar gas tank skid plate (used) in today. The K&N FIPK and Sylvania headlights should be here this week, and "just" won a '99 intake manifold on eBay--another 25 HP at the rear wheels, so they say! So much stuff, so little $ :-(

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    Well, just dropped a "G" at Summitt Racing! Here's what's on the way: Dynomax Blackjack headers, Catco high-flow cat, Dynomax cat-back exhaust system, 1" TB spacer (will bore TB to 60mm to match), 20 McGuard "Tough Nuts" lug nuts for new Alcoa forged aluminum wheels due in tomorrow, Surco roof rack with Hi-Lift jack and spare tire mounts. Got my Mopar gas tank skid plate (used) in today. The K&N FIPK and Sylvania headlights should be here this week, and "just" won a '99 intake manifold on eBay--another 25 HP at the rear wheels, so they say! So much stuff, so little $ :-(

(that's as close as an emoticon get to a jaw dropping...) Ya need any hlep puttin the stuff in?

Well, I think I can handle the roof rack and the K&N. My mechanically inclined buddy is supposed to have some free time in a couple of weeks--he has pretty much every tool known to man, as well as a lathe and other machine tools so we should be able to manage the boring of the stock TB and the intake and exhaust install. Plus, there is still the rear locker to install. Now I've gotta start saving for the lift and tires and some more armor!

I've got a loose ground somewhere... I know it's there sometimes the left light will dim, sometimes a relay will chatter, sometimes the fuel gauge won't come up... but nothing is consistint, that's why I'm convinced it's a loose ground, but I've been searching and searching, and I can't find one... any good ideas how to find my problem area without ripping out every chunk of conduit in the jeep?

Default Medic!!!

*sniff* it's hurt man... it's hurt real bad... the transfer case is gone..

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    What are you saying. You lost your transfer case? If so how?
    Blazing Troll

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post

So you next car is going to be a kia sportage. That seems like the perfect cache mobile for yah.

Truely though I am sorry for your lost. I send my condolences.

Man, sorry to hear that--did you take it out on an obsticle or did it just grenade (perhaps the post-lift SYE might have been a good idea afterall!). FYI Davis's Garage (junk yard) in Oakland has some late model XJ's, including, IIRC, a 2000 complete with engine and all (I just bought my 8.8 rear axle there).

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    What are you saying. You lost your transfer case? If so how?
    Front planetary gear wore out... $1600 to repair, $1400 to replace whole case.(its not lost, i still know where it is.)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    So you next car is going to be a kia sportage. That seems like the perfect cache mobile for yah.

Truely though I am sorry for your lost. I send my condolences.
    a kia sportage huh... well im thinking of a four letter word for that idea...
    LOVE that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    Man, sorry to hear that--did you take it out on an obsticle or did it just grenade (perhaps the post-lift SYE might have been a good idea afterall!). FYI Davis's Garage (junk yard) in Oakland has some late model XJ's, including, IIRC, a 2000 complete with engine and all (I just bought my 8.8 rear axle there).
    It all start last year when it was rear ended (pretty hard) basically bowed the frame upwards, i tried to convince insurance company it was totaled and blah blah blah... but money talks and they had it repaired, afterwards i took it to about 3 different places explaining the light grumble underneath and my concerns of stress from the shaft being rammed upwards... everyone told me i had nothing to worry about... which brings us to current times. I got tired of all the shops in the area so i bit the bullet and brought it to the dealer (i have high hopes that they may be more pro about it, but unfortunately at twice the cost...) the closest refabbed transfer case was in Newark NJ, and with the holidays it will hopefully be here by friday.

i brought up my consideration of an sye to the Jeep mechanic and he said that the 3" wouldn't cause a problem like that, and that the problem was more than likely the combination of the accident and 120k miles. but it shall live again... i still have hope