vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Event Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    That sure sounds good Aaron. You have to make some the next time we camp.
    That does sound easy Hiram. Apple Crisp... yum. It only takes 15 minutes huh? I would love to learn how to cook Dutchoven style when camping. I have a beautiful 14 qt Dutchoven that I have not used yet...
    The guy at the Folk Festival doing the demonstration made it look so easy...

I thought it might be fun to do a fall event with camping,and Dutchoven style open fire cooking (if not this year maybe next)and make a geocaching weekend out of it also. People could come and go during the day and get together in the evening for meals. We would need someone to stay back at campsite and tend the fire during the day but I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a chore. Just an idea but I don't know where we could do such an event...Most campgrounds close after Labor Day weekend
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    That does sound easy Hiram. Apple Crisp... yum. It only takes 15 minutes huh? I would love to learn how to cook Dutchoven style when camping. I have a beautiful 14 qt Dutchoven that I have not used yet...
    The guy at the Folk Festival doing the demonstration made it look so easy...

I thought it might be fun to do a fall event with camping,and Dutchoven style open fire cooking (if not this year maybe next)and make a geocaching weekend out of it also. People could come and go during the day and get together in the evening for meals. We would need someone to stay back at campsite and tend the fire during the day but I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a chore. Just an idea but I don't know where we could do such an event...Most campgrounds close after Labor Day weekend
    well, its more like 30 minutes, 10-15 minutes for the apples then another 10 - 15 after ya put the crust on.

That guy at the folk festival had opening those cans of campells soup down to a science, and the way he got those charcol briquets to burn that way I'll never know...

That sounds like a really great idea for a campout!! There are lots of sites around that are big enough, that are primitive sites (most have an outhouse) but those are first come first serve, we'd have to have someone there a few days before to make sure we can camp there (we tried the states reservation system... that's a friggen joke)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post

That guy at the folk festival had opening those cans of campells soup down to a science, and the way he got those charcol briquets to burn that way I'll never know...
    LOL
    The guy doing the demonstration at the Folk Festival didn’t impress me much either (only because he was not very well set up to talk to a group of people)
    but I sensed that there is interest amongst our group….in this type of cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    That sounds like a really great idea for a campout!! There are lots of sites around that are big enough, that are primitive sites (most have an outhouse) but those are first come first serve, we'd have to have someone there a few days before to make sure we can camp there (we tried the states reservation system... that's a friggen joke)
    I was thinking of an event with somewhat of a different theme from other events and call it something like "Dutchoven Cooking/Camping/Hiking event"

I think the fall is a great time to do this sort of thing as the temps get cooler. Even as late as early December….since there aren’t many outdoor events this time of the year. It could be a milder version of Vicbikers winter campout event.
    We could incorporate a group day hike and meet back at the site afterwards for a hearty meal and evening campfire. anyone who has a dutch oven could bring it and we can do some with desserts and some with main dishes etc....

So if anyone has any interest or ideas about hosting such an event and where…..please post. It will be hard for me to actually host it, since I'm not in Maine… but I would love to help organize it and be a part of it if someone else wants to take off with the idea...(hint*hint Hiram) You might know of a place that would work well for this. And if this year is too short notice then maybe next year we can set it into motion.

It would be fun to schedule this event this year although I am not sure of my own schedule right now after mid November. My son comes home from Iraq and some of my weekends will be with him. But I would do my best...
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Default Helpful Info

Here is a useful Temp Chart I found on line for controlling temps in outdoor cooking.

Also Cooking Legend

It is a science....

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    Here is a useful Temp ChartI found on line for controlling temps in outdoor cooking.

Also Cooking Legend

It is a science....
    Well... I don't think it's quite that complicated, i have a hook for my dutch oven lid, so even when it's covered in coals i can take the lid off to check on what I'm cooking. which allows me to impliment the "stick a fork in it, it's done" method of cooking. It hasn't failed me yet!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Warren Island was a go - and we had a great time. Combination of weather but stars over the campfire both nights! Yes, a tad damp on Saturday AM but it cleared and we prepared a bountiful and fun pot luck meal.

There was loads of food for the pot luck - chili, brats with peppers and onions, shepards pie, turkey chunks and stuffing, cheese tourtilleni, pumpkin pie and surely I have forgotten something. I found the big challenge was to travel light enough to put things in a kayak. A challenge is good.

I found a few neat web sites with ideas by googling kayak recipes and kayak cooking. (sorry my linkablity is not so good).

There are a few more events on the books for this year. Last year the kayak event didn't happen in July but that makes a nice venue to do food - and especially if it is done where you can combine kayaking with some hiking too (and of course geocaching).

Right on Nikki - a food event - great fun. What would geocaching be without good food, friends and sharing?

Default Eustis Buffalo Chicken Dip

I want to apologize, the dip didn't come out as good as it could have been. It really needed a bit more time to cook/mix in my camper stove, and somehow I didn't see the posted time for the campfire. A shallow casserole dish works Much better.

There are many variations of this recipe. I made the bluecheese dressing from scratch.

Shred some Chichen breasts and marinate in Frank's Hot Sauce overnight. Layer the bottom of a casserole dish w/cream cheese or neufchatel. Next is the layer of chicken. Top it w/your favorite bluecheese dressing like Marie Callender's. Some like Mozarella on top. Cook in a 350 oven for 45mins., or to your liking.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Default Recipe?

Gary (Team2Hunt) wanted to know who made the spinach rolls at the Useless event. Anyone know or have the recipe?
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    Gary (Team2Hunt) wanted to know who made the spinach rolls at the Useless event. Anyone know or have the recipe?
    If You are talking about the hot swiss chard stuffed with hamburg and rice covered in tomato sauce...Mad Quilter made that. It was my favorite dish as a kid...ok it still is. I'll get the recipe. If that isn't the one, then I don't know.

I may have already mentioned this, but if someone would be willing to collect these recipes and put them into an article it would be a great addition to the site. Perhaps we could even have our own cookbook someday as well. Anyone up for the task? As always, I am willing to help get you started if you have a fear of articles.

On a side note, nice to hear from you again, Mainelyroses!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."