vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a cache near the two trains by Eagle Lake up north?

Default Is there a cache near the two trains by Eagle Lake up north?

Does anyone know if there is a cache by the two trains that were left out in the woods by Eagle Lake up north? I heard there was but couldn't find one on geocaching.com. Its on my list of places to see in 2010 and thought I should find out if there is a cache up near there when I make the trip up there.

There was, but it has been archived due to permission issues.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Question Been there

Yes Wendy it was thisTramway Treasure (GCJGZ1) by Moosetrack (3/4)

I have been in there a couple times. The North Maine Woods folks aren't big fans of people going in there, but you can. Neet place for sure. Lots of history.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Yes Wendy it was thisTramway Treasure (GCJGZ1) by Moosetrack (3/4)

I have been in there a couple times. The North Maine Woods folks aren't big fans of people going in there, but you can. Neet place for sure. Lots of history.
    Ah yes, save the North Maine woods . . . for the animals.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Ah yes, save the North Maine woods . . . for the animals.
    Speaking of which...

I see that Roxanne Quimby has bought more of Maine. Even more woods for the animals, less for people...

Default Roxanne

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Speaking of which...

I see that Roxanne Quimby has bought more of Maine. Even more woods for the animals, less for people...
    Do like me, refuse to purchase any of her products.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Do like me, refuse to purchase any of her products.
    I take it a step further and encourage everyone I know not to buy them. I guess that I am unfamilier with this. Two trains in the woods near the Allagash?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I do believe that the cache FFJ and I placed GC1DQ9M is the closest cache to the trains. So you can stop and grab that along with 3 other caches that others hid on one of the roads leading into that area.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default The Trains

This is a very popular spot for snowmobilers, kind of a destination as it's quite far from the nearest fuel stop. The first time I went to the "trains", as the locals call them, we set out from a camp on Chesuncook. I was riding a new Yamaha, a 800 longtrack with 46 inches of width on the skis, a whole lot less that the other five or six sleds. I was in the back as we crossed a non -ITS trail through the Caucmogomoc Bog, I got firmly wedged between two trees. The guys I was with thought that I must have stopped to take a picture, drink a beer, or something and never turned around. Try as I did, I was stuck big time and could not get the damned thing out. About two hours later, the gang returned from the trains. We had to take one of the skis off to get my sled out.

So on my first trip to the trains, I got a DNF! Next trip the trail was nice and wide...thankfully. It really is weird to see those two relics sitting where they are.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Speaking of Trains...

I think that there are a lot of opportunities to place caches at historically significant locations along old railroad beds (other than those indiscriminately placed along a converted "rail trail).

We already have one cache (located at an abandoned railroad camp), but we could place more along the same route. (More incentive to get you "city folks" out in the woods! LOL!

And if anyone is actually involved in the railroad industry in Maine, please PM me - I have a question.