vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AtV freindly caches

Smile

Thanks for the advise. I do plan on riding over to the Frye Mountain area by snowmobile as soon as I hear the trails have been groomed. I think there's a cache hidden up by an old school bus that sits on the high side of a field you can see off rte 137 after you drive past the Ingraham farm. Not sure if the trail goes up there or not. Ropes-nope! I'm too old for rope climbing. Hopefully the cache is near a snowmobile trail.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    You're spot on about ATV's, sleds and XC skiers. To me it seems the furthur north you go, the less likely you are to run into the extreme prejudices sommon around here. I do all three but if I catch an ATV on an ITS trail, particularily one I may have groomed then it's not pretty. Likewise, I always give a friendly was to XC skiers when we meet them on snowmobile trails but it irks me when a skier gives you "that look." I have both traditional and skating cross country skis and groomed snowmobile trails are perfect and unless you're deaf, skiers have plenty of time to get out of the way of oncoming sleds. My last two rides last winter were on ITS 85 out of Bingham on a weekend. I spent most of my time shaking my fist at idiots driving foolishly. Anyway, my guess is that geo-cachers enjoying any of these sports would be most inclined to do so with great respect for the others out there. I think that's the clear message I'm getting from this group. Are they grooming out your way and toward Frye Mountain? There's one cache, I think it's Cache with a View in the Frye Mgt. area I want to bag this winter.
    I have said and always will say that there's room for the motorized and non-motorized folks alike.

RE: Frye Mountain . . . They've started grooming up that way. Cache With a View is a nice one . . . but you'll be doing some serious digging right about now.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    Frye Mt is awesome! It's hard to find though. We drove around it several times looking for the entrance/trailhead...the bottom is being developed. You may want to take rope with you; I remember a steep bit on rock just past a really big tree, which could be icy this time of year.
    If I remember correctly there are a couple of caches at Frye Mountain . . . Noreasta has one and then there's another (I thought this one was Cache with a View) placed by another cacher which would require some digging . . . this is the one right on the snowmobile trail . . . runs right by an old schoolbus in a field.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Thanks for the advise. I do plan on riding over to the Frye Mountain area by snowmobile as soon as I hear the trails have been groomed. I think there's a cache hidden up by an old school bus that sits on the high side of a field you can see off rte 137 after you drive past the Ingraham farm. Not sure if the trail goes up there or not. Ropes-nope! I'm too old for rope climbing. Hopefully the cache is near a snowmobile trail.
    I guess I should read all the posts before replying . . .

Again, the trails are groomed at Frye Mountain . . . if things go well I should be riding around there this weekend with any luck as my brother-in-law is coming up from CT . . . not sure where we'll go from there.

The Cache With a View is (I believe) the cache near the old schoolbus that is right off the sled trail . . . 25-50 feet if I remember correctly (but it's been awhile since I found that one.) Incidentally, I'm impressed . . . you know about the Ingraham Farm . . . you continue to amaze me!

Smile

David Ingraham used to drive my standardbreds when I was big time into the harness racing game. I bought one yearling Winsong Krystal that won 28 Maine breeders cup races in a row. David drove her the first twelve races or so. Good driver, comes from good stock. Don't think he's still in the circuit. As far as snow caches go, I'm not sure what the snowflake means. Does it mean we can get to it, because with all the stuff we have we can get to them; or does it mean you don't have to dig it out? Home early today, doing an Appeals Board hearing this evening with one of my clients and did buy a Palm so I'm trying to get that thing to work. Might be a year or so before I figure this thing out. I live on 3 Mile Pond and when conditions are right in this area (rare the last few years) we go thru Palermo's trails to Lake St. George and then on to Frye. They used to have some wide "supersonic" trails. Have family stuff all this weekend but might hit those trails Monday. Have fun!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    The Cache With a View is (I believe) the cache near the old schoolbus that is right off the sled trail . . . 25-50 feet if I remember correctly (but it's been awhile since I found that one.)

Here is the old schoolbus at the end of the trail nearby.

Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

heh, if memory serves me right (one in a billion...) I think i remember getting the jeep to that spot (unless theres more than one buss) but was still a ways from the cache (too far for me to feel like walking...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

David Ingraham used to drive my standardbreds when I was big time into the harness racing game. I bought one yearling Winsong Krystal that won 28 Maine breeders cup races in a row. David drove her the first twelve races or so. Good driver, comes from good stock. Don't think he's still in the circuit. As far as snow caches go, I'm not sure what the snowflake means. Does it mean we can get to it, because with all the stuff we have we can get to them; or does it mean you don't have to dig it out? Home early today, doing an Appeals Board hearing this evening with one of my clients and did buy a Palm so I'm trying to get that thing to work. Might be a year or so before I figure this thing out. I live on 3 Mile Pond and when conditions are right in this area (rare the last few years) we go thru Palermo's trails to Lake St. George and then on to Frye. They used to have some wide "supersonic" trails. Have family stuff all this weekend but might hit those trails Monday. Have fun!
    And the mystery deepens . . . race car driver . . . race horse owner . . . is there anything you guys haven't done?

Snowflake icon generally means the cache doesn't involve any digging . . . in general these caches tend to be located up high (tree stumps, dead trees, etc.)

Frye Mountain still has wide, flat trails where you can really move . . . and move safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Here is the old schoolbus at the end of the trail nearby.

That would be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    heh, if memory serves me right (one in a billion...) I think i remember getting the jeep to that spot (unless theres more than one buss) but was still a ways from the cache (too far for me to feel like walking...)
    It is very possible to drive down this trail with a 4WD vehicle . . . but the cache isn't all that far away from the bus.