vb:literal>

Thread: Interesting Geocaching Experience

Default Interesting Geocaching Experience

RULOST2? and I had to be in New Jersey this last weekend. I wanted to attend a local geocaching event and go geocaching on Sunday, but RULOST2? wanted to sleep in and go shopping with our son later.

So I headed out, my GeocachingMaine.org shirt on, and stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. As I was heading back to my car, a young woman in a nearby car asked me if I was a geocacher (the GOCACHE license plate must have given her a hint). I said yes, and she said that the had a geocoin that she wanted to go to Maine. I graciously said I'd be happy to, and we started talking about the coin, that I'd have to "grab" it since it hadn't been logged out of the cache.

Later, I went to log the coin and saw that it was a North Carolina Micro Geocoin had been removed from a cache less than 5 miles away in APRIL. (I now assumed that the cacher who gave it to me was the one who removed it from the cache, and just wanted to pass it along). Anyway, I grabbed the coin, and noticed in my trackables listing that this was the second North Carolina Micro Geocoin that we had logged. Further checking showed that it was the second one that this owner had released, and that we had logged his other coin when we were in North Carolina last year at the GeoWoodstock!

Sheesh! Is this a coincidence or what? LOL!

And as for the event, sponsored by the Central New Jersey Geocachers, I had a great time. I was warmly welcomed, talked to many people and shared geocaching experiences. One repeated question was about geocaching in winter in Maine! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    One repeated question was about geocaching in winter in Maine! LOL!

What about geocaching in Maine in the winter?.......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Cool thanks for sharing

hahaha, that's a great story! Reminds me...I have caches AND geocoins to log here...dundundun!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    What about geocaching in Maine in the winter?.......
    I told them that yes, we do it all the time! LOL! Deep snow doesn't stop us, although I wonder about someone who mentioned that they used a long metal pole to probe through the snow for an ammo can! LOL!

Ialthough I wonder about someone who mentioned that they used a long metal pole to probe through the snow for an ammo can! LOL!

And so what is the proper tool for finding the elusive cache in the snow? I used to use whatever was available,ski-pole,wooden branch,hands and feet...

And so what is the proper tool for finding the elusive cache in the snow? I used to use whatever was available,ski-pole,wooden branch,hands and feet...
    Different tools for different cachers.

I personally like a ski pole without a basket. After you have located a few ammo cans that familiar "kachunk" is music to ones ears.

I know of one (nameless) cacher who has a rather neat "ice ax" for winter caching. It is a rather awsome all around winter caching tool.

Then there is the good old Army folding shovel. Good to move snow or pry things free in the ice.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Well, my personal preference is that if you have to dig in the snow for a cache, it's probably would be better left alone. How do you rehide a cache in a hole in the snow?

And again, that's my personal preference.

Well, my personal preference is that if you have to dig in the snow for a cache, it's probably would be better left alone. How do you rehide a cache in a hole in the snow?

And again, that's my personal preference.
    I have always placed the cache back in the hole, repacked it with snow and seal it with some warm liquid I always have on hand. I thought that's what everyone did?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    seal it with some warm liquid I always have on hand.
    Is it a pale yellow color?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I have always placed the cache back in the hole, repacked it with snow and seal it with some warm liquid I always have on hand. I thought that's what everyone did?
    Well, I guess that's a good way to insure that geomuggles won't bother the cache for a while! LOL!