vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WhereRWe? & RULOST2?'s Travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Well, we made it to Gibraltar today. Sheesh! That rock is hard to get to! VERY steep roads to the top, no parking, tourists everywhere...

But we managed to log a cache in Gibraltar! (And dropped a couple of geocoins, as well). We did see a couple of monkeys, but the parking was such a terrible issue that we didn't get a chance to stop at the best places to see them. the famous Barbary Apes are a fixture in Gibraltar, and legend says that Grbraltar will remain British as long as the Barbary Apes remain.

I've attached a couple of pictures for Jake.

And a picture of RULOST2? looking across the Straits of Gibraltar towards Morocco.
    Thanks for the monkey pics.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Thanks for the monkey pics.
    What??? You didn't like the picture of RULOST2? as well? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    What??? You didn't like the picture of RULOST2? as well? LOL!
    Well to be honest I clicked on that photo and thought it odd to see a monkey wearing sunglasses . . . figured it was a bit odd for a monkey.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaques

My curiousity was peaked so I looked up some information about the Barbary apes . . . pretty neat stuff . . . and they seem prety darn cute. Interesting note about Churchill importing additional monkeys during WW II when the population dwindled down to seven.

Well to be honest I clicked on that photo and thought it odd to see a monkey wearing sunglasses . . . figured it was a bit odd for a monkey.
    Sheesh, Jake! I'm glad RULOST2? doesn't read the forums! LOL!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 05-01-2008 at 02:40 AM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaques

My curiousity was peaked so I looked up some information about the Barbary apes . . . pretty neat stuff . . . and they seem prety darn cute. Interesting note about Churchill importing additional monkeys during WW II when the population dwindled down to seven.
    They are VERY cute, especially the little one I took a picture of. Too bad there was no place to park so I could get out and observe them more.

All this monkey talk I've been waiting for someone to ask about a picture of the big ape.

Glad you're having a good trip, Bruce. We are back and had a good time on ours.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    All this monkey talk I've been waiting for someone to ask about a picture of the big ape.

Glad you're having a good trip, Bruce. We are back and had a good time on ours.
    I think we already saw a pic of that one already haven't we?

We got back from Athens yesterday. I think I inducted a new cacher, after 5 or 6 finds, he's hooked, asking about GPS recommendations
    The history in Athens is increadible. Some of the things we were viewing were 40 centuries old! Took many pictures and did a little caching too. I'll have some pics after I get home.

Sheesh Just got back from a weekend in Tangier, Morocco! The souk, the casbah, the beautiful girls covered from head to foot... LOL!

Big disappointment in caching, though. We had to log a DNF for the only cache in the area. Established in February, the only other log was a DNF in April. So much for adding another country and another continent to our caching list!

But it also might turn out to be an EXPENSIVE caching trip. The local currency is the Moroccan dirham. You cannot import or export the dirham to or from Morocco. I tried to convert my remaining currency before leaving the hotel, but was told, "no, there are 3 banks at the ferry terminal that are open all day". So we got off the tour bus, followed the crowd (mostly Spaniards, who I expected would also have to convert money), and went through passport control expecting to find 3 banks in the waiting area. Wrong assumption. So I now have $80 worth of Moroccan Dirhams that I can't get rid of. Sheesh!

Reminder to all: when you take the weekend "all included" tour, don't elect the cheapest hotel. You get what you pay for! LOL!

I'll probably say more about Morocco later...