vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B-17 Crash site outside of Oquossoc

Default B-17 Crash site outside of Oquossoc

For those of you that went to the geocache at the B-17 crash site just outside of Oquossoc Maine this past weekend. I dug up some more information on this crash. Here is what I found.

The bomber, which was the second worst aircraft crash in Maine history, occurred the exact same day as THE worst crash in Maine history when a bomber went down in South Portland.

USAF 43-38023, piloted by Lt. John Cast from Springfield, OH (from obit.) and crashed on Deer Mountain -- a remote and un-trailblazed mountain. The only story found about it reported that the bodies were removed and, using a bulldozer, the plane was buried and still is resting on the side of the mountain. Also, all of the crash found on this aircraft list it as a B-17G, but the memorial describes it as a B-17J.

I'm interested in any information anyone might have about this crash and of its exact whereabouts -- I would love to visit the actual site and record the coordinates for others.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    For those of you that went to the geocache at the B-17 crash site just outside of Oquossoc Maine this past weekend. I dug up some more information on this crash. Here is what I found.

The bomber, which was the second worst aircraft crash in Maine history, occurred the exact same day as THE worst crash in Maine history when a bomber went down in South Portland.

USAF 43-38023, piloted by Lt. John Cast from Springfield, OH (from obit.) and crashed on Deer Mountain -- a remote and un-trailblazed mountain. The only story found about it reported that the bodies were removed and, using a bulldozer, the plane was buried and still is resting on the side of the mountain. Also, all of the crash found on this aircraft list it as a B-17G, but the memorial describes it as a B-17J.

I'm interested in any information anyone might have about this crash and of its exact whereabouts -- I would love to visit the actual site and record the coordinates for others.
    At first I thought you were searching for some more information - but I now realize you were providing it. Crash sites are very interesting pieces of our Maine history. Here are some more tid-bits of information.

The logs for GC1C1PR up in Aroostook County ME are interesting to read as the family of the Cpt. visited the crash site this summer. Paul Noddin of the Maine Aviation History Museum joined them and took photos.

There are currently cashes at 6 crash sites here in Maine. There are more crash sites located throughout the state - both military and private.

Wished I had been able to join the group this past weekend to visit this one. If anyone is doing a crash site trek which I have not done and you want company, give me a shout. I would love to join you if the schedule allows.

If anyone is interested in possibly placing a cache at a crash site in the Bangor area, let me know. My mother and grandfather went to this crash site the day it happened in 1948 and described the trees all being stabbed with shards of metal, and after that the large parts were carried off and the location and crash was all but forgotten. A few years ago before my my father passed he and I helped locate the remains of the plane crash and a memorial marker was placed at the site in the woods. I have coords for 20 or more parts and pieces we found - nothing too large, but they are there if you look.You will need to acquire permission and it would be a great spot for a respectful and quality cache. Terrain is probably a 2 or 2.5.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If anyone is interested in possibly placing a cache at a crash site in the Bangor area, let me know. My mother and grandfather went to this crash site the day it happened in 1948 and described the trees all being stabbed with shards of metal, and after that the large parts were carried off and the location and crash was all but forgotten. A few years ago before my my father passed he and I helped locate the remains of the plane crash and a memorial marker was placed at the site in the woods. I have coords for 20 or more parts and pieces we found - nothing too large, but they are there if you look.You will need to acquire permission and it would be a great spot for a respectful and quality cache. Terrain is probably a 2 or 2.5.
    Where is the general location in Bangor and do you know who owns the land? Is it in Bangor or an out lying town?

Lets do it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

It is on the Clifton/Amherst line, The story and more information can be found at http://www.mewreckchasers.com/P-84BAMH.html.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

It is on the Clifton/Amherst line, The story and more information can be found at http://www.mewreckchasers.com/P-84BAMH.html.
    Sheesh! Seems like a good location for a Brdad/MsTeeLee cache!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Seems like a good location for a Brdad/MsTeeLee cache!
    I have considered it for a year or two, but I just can't get inspired to hide one there. And, no offense to those that can, but if I am not 100% inspired, I won't hide it. Lee is considering hiding another, and she already has a few spots in mind. And we refuse to hide one together, because the one who's account the cache wasn't under would always like to find it!
    Last edited by brdad; 09-28-2009 at 06:48 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I have considered it for a year or two, but I just can't get inspired to hide one there. And, no offense to those that can, but if I am not 100% inspired, I won't hide it. Lee is considering hiding another, and she already has a few spots in mind. And we refuse to hide one together, because the one who's account the cache wasn't under would always like to find it!
    Sheesh! Let your dog hide it and then you can both log it as a find! LOL!

(WhereRWe's favorite caching dog)

Anything like this should be done with reverance and the utmost respect for all. Landowner permission is essential IMHO. I am glad to read the land owner has designated the site for preservation. Moving slowly on this one, I believe is important.