vb:literal>

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question just for fun...

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Which one of your caches will you keep, or will you place a new one, and why?
    We'd definitely keep our "Got Moxie?" cache. It's probably the most scenic waterfall in Maine, and the walk to the cache is really representative of the Maine woods.

I would have to keep Deathwish. It doesn't get a lot of logs but the ones that do it really like it.

And how many of those unique cache huders are
    actually active in Geoaching after finding a handful of caches and placing one or two that they don't bother to maintain, and ed
    up costing all of us countless DNFs every caching trip and it takes a Papal Decree to get MainePubliher to archive? Ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    And how many of those unique cache huders are
    actually active in Geoaching after finding a handful of caches and placing one or two that they don't bother to maintain, and ed
    up costing all of us countless DNFs every caching trip and it takes a Papal Decree to get MainePubliher to archive? Ha ha
    If a cache has 2 consecutive DNF's, we don't even bother with it.

Default More than 2

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    If a cache has 2 consecutive DNF's, we don't even bother with it.
    We're just as apt to go give one a try even if there have been more than two, depending on circumstances. There's no guideline we use but if we're in the area anyway we might give it a try. Perfect example was Webber Pond. There were 4 DNF's before we gave it a shot. We got a general hint from RCWhit because he had found it earlier but it still took about 20 minutes before it was uncovered. It's still there, I believe, even though it's been DNF'ed again. The reason we did this one was simply because we like the caches placed by Mapachi (intentional incorrect coordinates and all) so we figured we'd give it a try in hopes of finding it so he wouldn't have to trundle on down there before his bum foot/leg was ready.

Other caches with DNF's we might try just to see if we can get luckier than those who preceeded us. Sometimes we do, others we DNF ourselves. Some we give a real try to find, others we just give the area a cursory glance. It's all part of the game, in our estimation, including how you decide which caches you try to find.

And the sad part is? Sounds good to me!
    Then why don't you move to Haiti or st Lucia? They both have just two geocaches in whole country. You would love geocaching there :P I have been geocaching in both and it sucks.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Then why don't you move to Haiti or st Lucia? They both have just two geocaches in whole country. You would love geocaching there :P I have been geocaching in both and it sucks.
    I have a theory (based on no known facts) that if people hid a smaller number of caches that other cachers would be more likely to hide a few. I think it is intimidating to some to hide one cache when someone next door is placing tens or hundreds. I also think if the number of hides were limited, more thought would be put into those hides and they would represent the hider better. So, I have no interest in moving to Haiti, but I'd have no problem dropping back to 700+ good quality, solid caches for one year. I am guessing in as little as 4 or 5 years we would be back to our present number of caches, but they would be done with much more imagination than many present caches.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-22-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Some other cachers.....

I have a theory (based on no known facts) that if people hid a smaller number of caches that other cachers would be more likely to hide a few. I think it is intimidating to some to hide one cache when someone next door is placing tens or hundreds.
    Pam and I have each hidden one cache - the listing says both of us but I own one and she owns one. They're both in places of some little bit of historical value. The two other types of caches we may consider placing would be in a place we consider significant because of the beauty of the area or of something nearby and we may place one in a spot of no significance at all but the cache itself we're hoping would be the draw. Not in the sense of more numbers either as a cache hider or for the general cacher out looking but for what the cache contains.

We don't place caches based on how many we can get out there (obviously since we've only placed 2) and we don't seek out caches based on seeing how fast we can get to milestones like 500, 1000 and so on. If either of those things work for an individual cacher, great for them. If we happen on a cache that's along our route for the day and we stop to log it we might not put as much effort into what we say on the online log if there is no significance to it's placement. That's already been mentioned by others as well. Personally, what I get out of geocaching is kind of twofold. I enjoy the hunt but I far more enjoy the hunt with my wife along with me. Neither one of us (with the exception of the first one RCWhit too Pam too) has looked for and logged a cache without the other one along for the trip. Pam occasionally hangs back while I get a hard to get to cache because of her knee but she's at least nearby.

All that being said, I can envision a person being intimidated by a power cacher enough that they decide against placing caches because of that. It's just not us.

Default Nope

I have a theory (based on no known facts) that if people hid a smaller number of caches that other cachers would be more likely to hide a few. I think it is intimidating to some to hide one cache when someone next door is placing tens or hundreds. I also think if the number of hides were limited, more thought would be put into those hides and they would represent the hider better. So, I have no interest in moving to Haiti, but I'd have no problem dropping back to 700+ good quality, solid caches for one year. I am guessing in as little as 4 or 5 years we would be back to our present number of caches, but they would be done with much more imagination than many present caches.
    I also have a theory based on know facts... besides the obvious.

Fact one, not many hides in the first few years. I keep wishing I had started this obsession back when it all started. Then I think about how quick it would have gotten old after finding the few caches within a reasonable distance and then having nothing to look forward to except long trips resulting in killing polar bears and getting eaten by far off bugs. If I'm going to get eaten, it's going to be by the neighborhood population. It would get boring quick. Just look at how many people that started back in 2000 or even just five years ago. Not many of them still around. After you find the ones close it doesn't matter how much thought, represention of the hider, solid or imagination went into the hides, the sport would die without the interest from the participants. I know I would have gotten bored quick.

Another thing is the quality of the hides that people keep talking about. What criteria are you using for quality? If you have absolutely no imagination and wonder in your life I can see where you might need someone else to provide this stimulus. I find a level of excitement in each cache. Someone hid a secret stash of some kind that only a few other special people know about. Only a few of the people that know about this stash can find it and fewer more can do this without being seen and having the stash discovered and destroyed by muggles. In the middle of town or at the top of the mountain, it is the excitement of finding the hidden treasure, searching for clues and solving riddles. If its just about going to locations that are interesting go to a tourism sight. If it's just about the trees, water, and animals, go out in the yard, look at the trees, spray some water in a bucket and let the bugs eat you. Put a 5 gal pal out there with a bunch of pictures and tokens in it and each time you cut the lawn it will be like a new find for you. A tree is a tree, a pond is a pond, an animal is an animal to some. A quality hide can be a GRC or an ammo can at the edge of a great vista if you choose it to be. I choose not to limit my enjoyment to such a strict boring criteria.

I'm not so sure we need more people hiding caches. Using GSAK I see many many caches that have been put out, quality or not that need attention and the hider is long gone and the cache is trash.

I'm not sure I can see anything reflecting the persona of anyone by placing an ammo can on top of some old mountain, or placing an ammo can under a rock at the edge of some old pond. Big whoop. Can't believe I'm going to say this... put a nano in a statue in a park with all the history surrounding you. Put a micro in a tree along a great dirt road in the woods take brings you out to an area that you might never go and each time you stop you get to see something different. Now thats interesting, intriguing, fun and adventurous.

Nature, bah!

Really, quality is subjective. I see quality and adventure in each cache. I just wish everyone could enjoy this sport as much as I do.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 05-22-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Perspective

I agree with your perspective, Ekodokai, to some extent. If I didn't, we wouldn't stop for those caches along the route we took on any given day. I think the best way to put it would be, if they were all just GRC's in ever guardrail along a road that I'd been down for other reasons I probably wouldn't continue caching. We're preparing for a trip to gather in a few caches this coming Tuesday that we'll combine with a little fishing, a lot of site seeing on a new road that we wouldn't be on if it weren't for geocaching and having a nice picnic lunch somewhere along the way. If there were just one cache along the route in a significant area because of the scenario brdad outlined in this thread we would probably still go and simply enjoy the day. Maybe we'd spend more time fishing. Maybe we'd spend more time eating the picnic lunch in a scenic area. Who knows? I'm just thankful there are other cachers out there who enjoy the sport as well so that it has the opportunity to keep going and growing. I agree with you on the point you made about those who have moved along and now their caches are beginning to show their age. It would be nice if they'd offer them for adoption or remove them so that others can place something in the general area or what ever. In the mean time, as we find caches that are wet, we try to replace logs if we can. We remove offensive items or items that are inappropriate. We try to leave the area nicer than when we came if possible. And, we just go on enjoying life.